Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • guardian5
    • By guardian5 16th Apr 19, 1:10 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    guardian5
    stop Amazon debits from bank account
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:10 PM
    stop Amazon debits from bank account 16th Apr 19 at 1:10 PM
    Hi, can a bank help with is?

Husband, not computer literate and recently deceased seems to have set up Amazon prime while ordering dvds a long time ago. It is coming out of my bank account and it seems it has done so for a few years.

Called the bank, it is not set up as a direct debit that can be deleted/stopped.
    Called Amazon and they said log into the account and cancel it.

I do not know the username or login that husband had used so not able to cancel online.

Anyone know what the right way to go is with this one? If it was done using debit card with expiry date, this should have stopped the payments because the date on the card used, when this was done a few years ago, has expired.
Page 1
    • mrmajika
    • By mrmajika 16th Apr 19, 1:41 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    mrmajika
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:41 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:41 PM
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments/

Have a look at that link which may help.

The bank CAN cancel this for you.

I've always found Amazon CS very accommodating too. Have you explained the full set of circumstances to them?
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right!
    • guardian5
    • By guardian5 16th Apr 19, 1:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    guardian5
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:48 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:48 PM
    @mrmajika Thank you will look at the link.

Yes the guy I talked to was very sympathetic and did go to see if he could find anymore info due to situation and suggested seeing if the bank could help.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    • 10,107 Posts
    • 12,176 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    @mrmajika Thank you will look at the link.

Yes the guy I talked to was very sympathetic and did go to see if he could find anymore info due to situation and suggested seeing if the bank could help.
    Originally posted by guardian5
    Although the bank can cancel a continuous payment authority, Amazon do seemingly have a bereavement support team who can be contacted by email (maybe other ways too), according to https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=GUU8DRRE5NUHH8T5&qid=1555422753&s r=1-1
    Deceased Customer

We’re very sorry for your loss. When a loved one or a close relative passes away our bereavement support team are here to help. They will be your single point of contact for closing the account.

Please attach a certified copy of the death certificate to an e-mail and forward it to the following e-mail address: bereavement-support@amazon.co.uk This is required to ensure that account information is only provided to authorised persons.

If you have an Amazon.co.uk account and would like any gift certificates or digital content to be transferred to your account, please provide the email address and last purchase associated with your Amazon.co.uk account. We may need to verify that you are entitled to the gift certificates and content, so if you are not mentioned in the death certificate please provide some proof of your relationship with your lost loved one.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 16th Apr 19, 1:59 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    18cc
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:59 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:59 PM
    does the debit have a reference on it or anything. Amazon might be able to find the account using that.

If a debit card expires the payments seem to roll over onto the new one if issued
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Apr 19, 2:22 PM
    • 22,417 Posts
    • 18,430 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:22 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:22 PM

I do not know the username or login that husband had used so not able to cancel online.
    Originally posted by guardian5

Are you sure? Here are some ways that might find it.

If it was used for free delivery of Amazon orders: go on to the computer that he used, navigate to amazon.co.uk, click on Accounts & Lists and see whether the login was saved (as mine is) in Your Account and Login & Security

Alternative: Look in the browser's security settings to see if the login details have been stored there

If it was used for streaming through your smart TV: go to the Amazon Prime App and look in settings for the account details
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 16th Apr 19, 2:35 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    18cc
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:35 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:35 PM
    the amazon username may well be an email address you used around then
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,771Posts Today

7,266Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin