Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 16th Apr 19, 12:48 PM
    • 124Posts
    • 40Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE News: Amex HALVES introductory bonuses on popular reward cards
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:48 PM
    MSE News: Amex HALVES introductory bonuses on popular reward cards 16th Apr 19 at 12:48 PM
    American Express has revealed a raft of changes to its Membership Rewards cards, making it more difficult for new cardholders to earn big bonuses.

Read the full story:
    'Amex HALVES introductory bonuses on popular reward cards
    '

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Apr 19, 1:47 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:47 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:47 PM
    They've done it because too many people were churning cards for the rewards.

Fair play to them in my opinion - it's a smart move
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 16th Apr 19, 6:19 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    couriervanman
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:19 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:19 PM
    It was good while it lasted
    • BakingC
    • By BakingC 16th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    BakingC
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    �� I am too slow. Spent the last week deciding which card to get. Decided on the PR gold card at least for the next year and was going to apply tomorrow.

Oh well.
    • lr1277
    • By lr1277 16th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    lr1277
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    I know this article is talking about credit cards, but I have just been on the Amex uk site for personal cards, and the gold charge card is missing. The platinum and green charge cards are still present. And the platinum card is still offering 30k reward points for spending 2k in the first 3 months of membership.
    https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/all-cards/?filter=personal,mr&intlink=uk-en-hp-ca-all-gold-credit-card-20072018%20%20
    Last edited by lr1277; 16-04-2019 at 9:27 PM. Reason: Added one word
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 16th Apr 19, 9:31 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    couriervanman
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:31 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:31 PM
    I know this article is talking about credit cards, but I have just been on the Amex uk site for personal cards, and the gold charge card is missing. The platinum and green charge cards are still present. And the platinum card is still offering 30k reward points for spending 2k in the first 3 months of membership.
    https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/all-cards/?filter=personal,mr&intlink=uk-en-hp-ca-all-gold-credit-card-20072018%20%20
    Originally posted by lr1277
    Amex stopped the gold charge card a couple of months ago and replaced it with gold credit card
    • lr1277
    • By lr1277 16th Apr 19, 9:39 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    lr1277
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:39 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:39 PM
    Amex stopped the gold charge card a couple of months ago and replaced it with gold credit card
    Originally posted by couriervanman
    Thanks. Did not know that.
    • beany_bot
    • By beany_bot 17th Apr 19, 6:50 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    beany_bot
    • 17th Apr 19, 6:50 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 6:50 AM
    This is totally standard AMEX practice. Give it another 12 months and there will be a post AMEX DOUBLES SIGNUP REWARDS!!!!

Amex always do this.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 17th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    couriervanman
    • 17th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    This is totally standard AMEX practice. Give it another 12 months and there will be a post AMEX DOUBLES SIGNUP REWARDS!!!!

Amex always do this.
    Originally posted by beany_bot
    I do hope so......but I've been using them for last five years flipping cards and the last month has been a kick in the teeth
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 17th Apr 19, 10:40 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    crumpetman

Amex always do this.
    Do they? I have used Amex for years and have been referring spouse (and vice versa) every six to twelve months and sign up bonuses have been consistent over time.
    • beany_bot
    • By beany_bot 17th Apr 19, 10:43 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    beany_bot
    Do they? I have used Amex for years and have been referring spouse (and vice versa) every six to twelve months and sign up bonuses have been consistent over time.
    Originally posted by crumpetman
    Yup, They often vary and have "double avios" "double points" signup offers from time to time.
    • tomlee80
    • By tomlee80 17th Apr 19, 1:51 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    tomlee80
    This seems to be a bit of a U Turn. There was a huge push for the preferred gold rewards AMEX card to appeal to the mass market over the last 12 months. Much more visibility on TV, existing card owners like myself got a little pack through over Christmas with cardboard dummy handout AMEX cards to give to friends so they could get the referral sign-up bonus of 22,000 points.

They seem to have taken a step back now. Perhaps a new rewards card aimed at the more casual user is about to launch..

So far I've accumulated over 40,000 points since signing up in September 2018 and am still expecting my 10,000 renewal bonus later this year. I'm happy with that. Never got a single referral though, my friends don't really get the whole points craze.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th Apr 19, 2:32 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    There was rumors of them revamping what you get with the Green Amex.
    For £60 a year at the moment all you get is a charge card and the ability to earn MR points.

It's a bit steep at that price for what you (don't) get
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 17th Apr 19, 5:01 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    couriervanman
    Yup, They often vary and have "double avios" "double points" signup offers from time to time.
    Well certainly no sign up bonuses in the last 6 years........its always been 20000 points plus referral/quidco sign ups
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th Apr 19, 7:15 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Never seen double signup bonuses.

They’ve done (and still do) extra points for booking this and extra points for spending that in shop ABC etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

981Posts Today

5,265Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin