Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dancingfrog
    • By dancingfrog 16th Apr 19, 12:06 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dancingfrog
    bonds or REITS?
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:06 PM
    bonds or REITS? 16th Apr 19 at 12:06 PM
    Hello

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere already. Currently I only hold all world tracker equity and am looking to diversify my portfolio by introducing other asset classes i.e. fixed incomes/properties.

I am reading around bonds and REITs and understand that they are useful diversifier with low correlation to equities. A lot of advice online (that I read) including VGLS's strategy are inclined towards utilising bonds rather than REITs. I was wondering if there's an obvious advantage(or disadvantage) of bonds over REITs that I'm missing?

I am looking for a very passive portfolio. Would diversifying in three asset classes provide significant advantage to just equity and bonds?

Keen to hear and learn from others. Sorry if this is a naive question.

Thanks again!
    DF
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 16th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 10,585 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Linton
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    Why not both Reits and Bonds? As you say they provide good diversification. Both can be particularly useful if you are seeking income rather than capital growth, which is why I hold both.

Reits are a niche subset of equity whereas the bond market is larger than the whole equity market. So bonds are far more appropriate for large scale diversification. In my view it is better for a small investor to invest in REITs directly rather than through a fund as they can be very different and so you may want to choose ones that particularly meet your objectives. I have only found one fund anyway that focuses on REITs and its not a tracker, so not appropriate for a confirmed passive investor. On the other hand presumably a passive investor would not be worrying about the characteristics of particular investments.
    Last edited by Linton; 16-04-2019 at 2:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,085Posts Today

7,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin