Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ElizabethReyn
    • By ElizabethReyn 16th Apr 19, 11:48 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ElizabethReyn
    80 year old - mortgage options - equity release
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:48 AM
    80 year old - mortgage options - equity release 16th Apr 19 at 11:48 AM
    Hi Guys

I was hoping for some advice for my father-in-law.

He is 80 and currently had 75k outstanding on an interest only mortgage. He pays around 400pm. His rate is 4.99%

The house is worth around 360k.

They want to downsize in a couple of years but in the meantime wanted to switch deals if possible. A mortgage broker has advised equity release may be a good idea to pay off the 75k.

The mortgage has been transferred from Bradford and Bingley (who state they are no longer a live lender) to Chaconia Mortgages. There are therefore no lower rates to change to and he cannot change to repayment with his exisiting lender.

When they downsize they can obvs get the 75k paid off but with moving costs and stamp duty etc they wont get much for their left over money in the area. Ideally they would like to reduce their monthly outgoings as much as possible for the next two years and save what they can or change to a better rate on repayment and at least get some of the 75k paid off.

On mortgage broker has mentioned equity release but we have heard some horror stories about this.

I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions at options we can look at.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 16th Apr 19, 11:51 AM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:51 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:51 AM
    What is the rate on the equity release?

What is stopping downsizing now?
    • ElizabethReyn
    • By ElizabethReyn 16th Apr 19, 12:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ElizabethReyn
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:00 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:00 PM
    They aren't ready to move right now. They haven't seen anything they like and they want to have another couple of years in the house I think.

Equity release seem to range between 3.49 to 3.55. I just wondered if there were early redemption charges with this. If they released 75k and paid off the current mortgage, would it be as simple as then paying the equity release back or would that follow them to the new property?

Thanks
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 16th Apr 19, 12:04 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:04 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:04 PM
    Surely the broker would know this if he is suggesting it.

There are so many types of equity release schemes that it is impossible to answer your questions.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 16th Apr 19, 12:05 PM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:05 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:05 PM
    A question for the broker who offered the deal I would of thought, but for the lender to release the charge on that property I would imagine the 75,000 plus ERC plus fees would need to be paid back. If they are down sizing then they should be in a position to have a mortgage free property when they do.
    • ElizabethReyn
    • By ElizabethReyn 16th Apr 19, 12:47 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ElizabethReyn
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:47 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:47 PM
    I need to find out exactly what he has been told. I guess the best scenario is to move to a lower rate for the next 2 years with potential repayment element. Then when the fixed rate has finished, sell and downsize and pay the outstanding amount off in full.

I wasn't sure how equity release could assist for such a short term if he then wants to downsize anyway in two years time.

I appreciate I don't have all of the required information in order to obtain advise but I appreciate all of your comments. Thanks
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 16th Apr 19, 2:48 PM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:48 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:48 PM
    I am not sure that equity release would be the best thing to do in this case.

I would find out how much the interest rate will be and ALL the set up and exit charges charges.

If they are that desperate for the 400 a month to live or go on holiday on maybe the family could help out in the short term.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,807Posts Today

7,068Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin