Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • dancingfrog
    • By dancingfrog 16th Apr 19, 11:43 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Just got married - some questions
    • #1
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:43 AM
    Just got married - some questions 16th Apr 19 at 11:43 AM

    Very new to the forums - apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

    My wife and I are both Malaysian citizens working in the UK. We recently got married in Malaysia and received the Malaysian marriage certificates.

    We were wondering if we need to register for a UK certificate? I read somewhere on the internet (not from that from 2014 there is no need to obtain UK certificates as long as the existing certificates are legally valid from the home country as well as the UK?

    Also - do we have to inform any government/non government organisations/our bank regarding our marriage?

    Thanks and sorry for the naive questions ! I think I know the answers but it will be reassuring to hear what others think.

Page 1
    • cheeky-peach
    • By cheeky-peach 17th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    • #2
    • 17th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    • #2
    • 17th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    Your wife will need to inform the appropriate people of a change of name if she has decided to change her name. In light of this, HMRC will also need to know.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 17th Apr 19, 1:00 PM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 3,226 Thanks
    • #3
    • 17th Apr 19, 1:00 PM
    • #3
    • 17th Apr 19, 1:00 PM
    There is no process to register, or re-register, in the UK, any marriages that occur in other countries. At one time a copy of your certificate could be deposited with the UK General Register Office, but that no longer happens.

    So long as the marriage was legally valid in the county it happened in, it is regarded as valid in the UK, so your Malaysian marriage certificate is your proof.
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 18-04-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

399Posts Today

5,377Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next?

  • RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

  • RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

  • Follow Martin