Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RomfordNavy
    • By RomfordNavy 16th Apr 19, 11:11 AM
    • 246Posts
    • 20Thanks
    RomfordNavy
    SIPP for Elderly person
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:11 AM
    SIPP for Elderly person 16th Apr 19 at 11:11 AM
    Asking the question on behalf of an elderly person who for the first time in many years has just started paying tax, slightly under 1500 a year. Question is should she open a SIPP to pay into in-order to dissipate that tax liability or is the cost of doing so more than the saving available.

Personally I have little knowledge about SIPPs as I don't have one, I have chosen to use ISAs instead hence looking for advice from the forum.

Thanks,
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 16th Apr 19, 11:16 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 3,764 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:16 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:16 AM
    Paying into a SIPP won't reduce their tax liability unless they are a 40% taxpayer which sounds unlikely if the tax is only 1500
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 16th Apr 19, 11:20 AM
    • 8,605 Posts
    • 15,745 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:20 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:20 AM
    How old is 'elderly'? Generally only youngsters under 75 will benefit from being able to pay into a pension.

And what are they paying tax on - employment or self employed business income (which could be put into a pension to avoid or defer paying tax on it), or savings/investment /pension income (which could not be put into a pension, other than the 3600 gross contributions which all of us under 75 can make)?
    • RomfordNavy
    • By RomfordNavy 16th Apr 19, 3:01 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    RomfordNavy
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:01 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:01 PM
    How old is 'elderly'? Generally only youngsters under 75 will benefit from being able to pay into a pension.

And what are they paying tax on - employment or self employed business income (which could be put into a pension to avoid or defer paying tax on it), or savings/investment /pension income (which could not be put into a pension, other than the 3600 gross contributions which all of us under 75 can make)?
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Elderly = nearly 90

Income is Government Pension + deceased husbands Company Pension + Government 'Attendance Allowance'. Lower rate tax band, but now that her Married Couples Allowance has been taken away she is a bit over the tax allowance.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 16th Apr 19, 3:26 PM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 15,937 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:26 PM
    They are too old. 75 is the cut off point.
    • menziesthefish
    • By menziesthefish 16th Apr 19, 3:26 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    menziesthefish
    Elderly = nearly 90
    At this age the lady would not receive tax relief on a personal pension contribution, so there would be no immediate tax benefit in her paying into a SIPP - certainly not one that would reduce her income tax bill.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

978Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin