Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 16th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    • 67Posts
    • 34Thanks
    TripleH
    Windows Surface Pro 3 Won't Turn On
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    Windows Surface Pro 3 Won't Turn On 16th Apr 19 at 10:51 AM
    We have a Windows Surface Pro 3 bought November 2015 in Australia (long story). The problem is that it does not turn on when you press the power on button.

My wife thinks it is the power button itself and has tried various fixes (she works in IT with IT people) but another opinion thinks it is the power cable not working. Our other Surface we took had a micro USB cable so we could check that, this one has a completely different input.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues or have any suggestions as to how we can progress in getting it to work?
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
Page 1
    • almillar
    • By almillar 16th Apr 19, 1:06 PM
    • 7,818 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    almillar
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:06 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:06 PM
    Yep, you've got the standard 'Surface' power connector - used on the Surface Pro, Surface Book and Surface Laptop. The Surface Go uses USB-C. There are different voltages, but the 'Pro' is easiest to power.
    Do you not have the original charger? The light on these, in my experience, only comes on when connected correctly to the laptop. If that happens, all seems to be good here. I've got aftermarket chargers where the light is just on all the time, so that wouldn't help diagnose.

Your wife may or may not have already tried holding the power button in for 30 secs, which I've had to do a few times for a complete system hang. Make sure you've left the thing charging for, like, a day, to ensure the battery has some charge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,419Posts Today

4,341Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin