Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • bflare
    • By bflare 16th Apr 19, 10:04 AM
    • 244Posts
    • 94Thanks
    Can I legally change a light fitting myself?
    • #1
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:04 AM
    Can I legally change a light fitting myself? 16th Apr 19 at 10:04 AM
    In the property I rent there are 2 wall lights fitted to one of the bedrooms. They are pretty outdated & I would like to change these for a pair of more modern ceramic uplighters. I am competent at DIY & minor electrical jobs. I understand that a legislation was brought in around 2005 called Part P for electrical safety. However, it appears that I should be ok to change an already existing light fitting myself without needing to hire a qualified electrician.

    Can someone please confirm if this is correct?
Page 1
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 16th Apr 19, 10:15 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    • #2
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:15 AM
    • #2
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:15 AM
    You don't own the property so the answer is, although not in contravention of part P the landlord probably won't allow it.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 16th Apr 19, 11:28 AM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 3,201 Thanks
    • #3
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:28 AM
    • #3
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:28 AM
    You do not need to be "qualified" to do any electrical work. The regulations say "a competent person", and anything more than a minor repair/replacement/addition requires building control approval. You could do a complete rewire of a house, and as long as it is signed off by BC, perfectly legal. This isn't to say that you should.. There is plenty that could go wrong, so if in doubt, a "competent person" should always be consulted.

    The only advantage of having a "qualified" electrician to do the work is that they can test and self certify the installation.
    Last edited by FreeBear; 16-04-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    Her courage will change the world.

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 16th Apr 19, 2:35 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    • #4
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:35 PM
    • #4
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:35 PM
    they can test
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    Which is absolutely essential to ensure safety.
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 16th Apr 19, 5:27 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 940 Thanks
    • #5
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:27 PM
    • #5
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:27 PM
    Are you the tenant or the landlord?

    Although a like-for-like swap of a wall light doesn't need building regulations sign-off, if you're the landlord you'll want to know (and be able to prove) that the electrics are safe, so you'd probably want an updated inspection report. The qualified person who does that for you might as well swap the lights too.

    If you're the tenant, you should check the landlord is ok with the change. No landlord with any common sense will let a tenant with no evidence of competency work on the electrics!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,479Posts Today

7,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next?

  • RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

  • RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

  • Follow Martin