Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JurassicMe
    • By JurassicMe 16th Apr 19, 9:38 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JurassicMe
    How can you check value of fine paid for SP30 speeding offence?
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:38 AM
    How can you check value of fine paid for SP30 speeding offence? 16th Apr 19 at 9:38 AM
    How can one access SP30 fines information? I added my daughter to my existing car insurance mid-term, without problem. The amount of her fine wasn't requested. Renewal looms so I am trying to work through Martin's comparisons sites list to get new quotes, but now knowing fine details stops several dead in their tracks. I have got the date, offence category code, no of points.. My daughter has changed credit cards and the court has closed down, so no info sources there. Daughter is in a senior police role and says she can't get hold of the details anywhere. Any ideas of other ways to access the info?
Page 1
    • a.turner
    • By a.turner 16th Apr 19, 9:48 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    a.turner
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:48 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:48 AM
    How can one access SP30 fines information? I added my daughter to my existing car insurance mid-term, without problem. The amount of her fine wasn't requested. Renewal looms so I am trying to work through Martin's comparisons sites list to get new quotes, but now knowing fine details stops several dead in their tracks. I have got the date, offence category code, no of points.. My daughter has changed credit cards and the court has closed down, so no info sources there. Daughter is in a senior police role and says she can't get hold of the details anywhere. Any ideas of other ways to access the info?
    Originally posted by JurassicMe

So it was court and not a fixed penalty notice? The fine will be on the PNC, however she's not got a valid reason to access it.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Apr 19, 11:52 AM
    • 22,397 Posts
    • 18,412 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:52 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:52 AM
    If she knows when it was paid she can ask the credit card provider for the relevant statement, or failing that submit a SAR.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Apr 19, 12:28 PM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:28 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:28 PM
    The credit card statement won’t show the fine, but the total including costs and surcharge. Can’t she estimate it, knowing her salary at the time and the court guidelines?

If she’s finding it so difficult, it’s unlikely that an insurer will be able to challenge a sensible estimate.
    • Simonr66
    • By Simonr66 16th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Simonr66
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    SP30 tends to be 100 & 3 points or at least it was last year when I got one
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Apr 19, 1:15 PM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:15 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:15 PM
    SP30 tends to be 100 & 3 points or at least it was last year when I got one
    Originally posted by Simonr66
    Not if you go to court, as the OP's daughter did. Then it's an income-related fine, prosecution costs, victim surcharge, and points or ban.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 21,875 Posts
    • 20,600 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    She's in a senior police role, and can't find the information - even though it pertains to her own licence and history.

You don't stand a chance of finding it about somebody else...

Surely she can remember a rough order-of-magnitude figure, even if it isn't to the penny?
    • Simonr66
    • By Simonr66 16th Apr 19, 3:34 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Simonr66
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:34 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:34 PM
    She's in a senior police role, and can't find the information - even though it pertains to her own licence and history.

You don't stand a chance of finding it about somebody else...

Surely she can remember a rough order-of-magnitude figure, even if it isn't to the penny?
    Originally posted by AdrianC

Whats more worrying is that she is in a Senior Police role and went to court over a parking offence, didn't think this was allowed
    • a.turner
    • By a.turner 16th Apr 19, 3:51 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    a.turner
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:51 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:51 PM
    Whats more worrying is that she is in a Senior Police role and went to court over a parking offence, didn't think this was allowed
    Where did the parking offence come in?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Apr 19, 4:30 PM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    Car 54
    It was a speeding offence, not parking. And everyone is entitled to defend themselves in court, even a "senior" police officer.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 16th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    If she can find out the total amount paid from the Credit Card Company, knock off 85 (prosecution costs). The remainder is the fine and the "Victim Surcharge" (VS). Then:

- If the remainder is less than 330 this means the fine was less than 300 (the minimum VS is 30). In that case knock 30 off the remainder to arrive at the fine.

- If the remainder is more than 1,870 this means the fine was more than 1,700 (the maximum VS is 170). In that case knock 170 off the remainder to arrive at the fine.

- If the remainder is between 330 and 1,870 this means the VS was 10% of the fine. In that case knock one eleventh off the remainder to arrive at the fine.

The above assumes she pleaded guilty (which results in 85 costs) and the offence was not sentenced in Scotland (where prosecution costs are not imposed).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,020Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin