Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Allisonf87
    • By Allisonf87 16th Apr 19, 9:01 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Allisonf87
    Universal credit overpayment
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:01 AM
    Universal credit overpayment 16th Apr 19 at 9:01 AM
    Last June my husband was made redundant and as I was a full time student I was not working. We went to our local office and put in a claim for UC. We were given an advance payment to cover the coming months bills and my husband continued to look for work. Come September I started my second year of college and took my student loan forms into the office and they were uploaded. My husband still unemployed was offered a place on a college course and he too applied for student loans and started college. Again his funding forms were taken into the office and had been uploaded on to the journal. This has been confirmed in the office when I visited yesterday. My claim was then stopped due to an over payment, and I have been asked to make arrangements to pay it back, however when I enquired why there was an overpayment they advised itís because the student loan payment doesnít seem to be have taken into account. I spoke to someone and they advised I can can appeal which I now have. It appears an issue at their end. I have given all the correct information and obviously wrongly assumed as I have done everything right at my end, that they would do the same. The lady on the phone from UC advised that they will argue that all the information is available online. Any advide ?
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 16th Apr 19, 9:21 AM
    • 12,287 Posts
    • 14,105 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:21 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:21 AM
    Last June my husband was made redundant and as I was a full time student I was not working. We went to our local office and put in a claim for UC. We were given an advance payment to cover the coming months bills and my husband continued to look for work. Come September I started my second year of college and took my student loan forms into the office and they were uploaded. My husband still unemployed was offered a place on a college course and he too applied for student loans and started college. Again his funding forms were taken into the office and had been uploaded on to the journal. This has been confirmed in the office when I visited yesterday. My claim was then stopped due to an over payment, and I have been asked to make arrangements to pay it back, however when I enquired why there was an overpayment they advised it’s because the student loan payment doesn’t seem to be have taken into account. I spoke to someone and they advised I can can appeal which I now have. It appears an issue at their end. I have given all the correct information and obviously wrongly assumed as I have done everything right at my end, that they would do the same. The lady on the phone from UC advised that they will argue that all the information is available online. Any advide ?
    Originally posted by Allisonf87
    Unfortunately all Universal Credit overpayments are recoverable even those due to official error although the DWP does have the option not to recover.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/legal/benefits/universal_credit/payment_of_universal_credit/overpayments_of_universal_credit#_edn1

You have appealed, as is your right.

If you are asked to repay it make sure that you ask for a repayment plan so that it is taken directly from your UC at a rate you can afford.

There are two schools of thought when it is an official error - you should have noticed that your partner's loan was not counted, in part, as income, or the system is complicated and a lay person would not be expected to understand it so if you have provided all the correct information and it is an official error then you should not have to repay it.

Good luck!
    • Allisonf87
    • By Allisonf87 16th Apr 19, 9:41 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Allisonf87
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:41 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:41 AM
    Thanks. I possibly would have noticed if it was just my partners loan was included. But it was in fact both out loans that were not included. I in-fact had no idea that a student loan would be classed as an income as I will be of course repaying the loan.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

482Posts Today

5,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin