Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • journosam
    • By journosam 16th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MPLC License - Do I need one or is it a rip-off?
    • #1
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    MPLC License - Do I need one or is it a rip-off? 16th Apr 19 at 8:36 AM
    I'm looking for some advice on the MPLC (Motion Picture Licensing Corporation) license.

    We're a small sports centre which is part of a comprehensive school. We do not wish to broadcast films or television, either to our customers or to our staff. We own no televisions but have two desktop computers on the front desk which are for work purposes only.

    On the basis of our ownership of these two computers we are being told by the MPLC we need a license. They've explained we need to buy one so that we're covered in case a member of staff streams a film or television from one of our computers. I've explained that this would be against our Internet Usage Policy but they've told me we're still liable if one of our staff does this and could be prosecuted as a result.

    I wanted to find out if this really is the case? I'm a little suspicious because it would imply every single business with a working internet connection would need to buy a license. The MPLC staff were also quite aggressive on the phone and disbelieving when I told them we don't own a television.

    Any advice would be appreciated!
Page 1
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 16th Apr 19, 4:11 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 3,009 Thanks
    • #2
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:11 PM
    • #2
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:11 PM
    The organisation itself is legitimate but just like the MCPS (who do the same thing for music rights holders) what neither tell you is that there is absolutely no need to pay for their licence unless you show movies (or play music) and the fact they suggest you should pay up ‘just in case’ - which is laughable.

    Further, if a staff member streamed a film (or played music) will their inspector know? Add to this they only act for a few companies, if you DID pay up but use a film from a different distributor who isn’t part of their cabal - you’re still at risk!

    Treat it the same as the old directory sales promotions - useful if you need it, but a good way to spend money you don’t really need to.
    • john1
    • By john1 16th Apr 19, 9:30 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    • #3
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:30 PM
    • #3
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:30 PM
    As you are part of a school then you could be exempt see


    You need a ‘non-theatrical’ film licence to show films and TV programmes in public (but not in a cinema), for example:

    at one-off events
    at film clubs - whether or not you sell tickets
    in common areas for guests, residents and passengers
    in retail and entertainment venues

    So unless you are deliberately showing films as Busby said tell them to go away and not bother you again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,870Posts Today

7,392Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next?

  • RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

  • RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

  • Follow Martin