Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martysparty99
    • By martysparty99 16th Apr 19, 7:54 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    martysparty99
    House Move
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:54 AM
    House Move 16th Apr 19 at 7:54 AM
    Hi All, newbie here.

In the process of buying/selling house. 6 in our chain, we are 3rd.

All going okish, date set for completion of 29th april.

Only fly in the oitment is FTB at the start of the chain is in rented and is struggling to find his remaining rent and his new mortgage payment.

In the sale of our property we reduced our house to accommodate our buyers.

Now our EA is asking us and all in the chain to contribute to the FTB. Its only going to be around 100 each which I know isn't alot but its the principle of it.

My wife is adamant we should not pay as we have already given money to our buyers (Through reducing sale price)

She thinks our EA should reduce his fee! More chance of brexit finishing this week!

End of the day I dont think we will hit our date if we don't fund the FTB

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • middleclassbutpoor
    • By middleclassbutpoor 16th Apr 19, 7:58 AM
    • 612 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    middleclassbutpoor
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:58 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:58 AM
    If the chain collapsed.

Would you be sat there thinking “at least I saved 100” or

“I can’t believe I’m now going to have to wait how long for this to resolve?”

In your shoes, I would be asking the EA’s to equally contribute. 5 houses above the FTB = 5 EA’s and 5 sellers. You could maybe argue 50 each should cover it?
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 16th Apr 19, 8:06 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    oozle1989
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:06 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:06 AM
    Have all the other people in the chain agreed to contribute to it? If not then what? you have to stump up even more cash for him?

If it were me i'd pay through gritted teeth but only if everyone else was doing the same.
    • Yellow_mango
    • By Yellow_mango 16th Apr 19, 8:13 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Yellow_mango
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:13 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:13 AM
    For 100 I’d not want to be the one who refused and caused the chain to collapse.

I’d want the payment to be handled by lawyers, and not released / conditional on completion. The FTB’s first mortgage payment won’t be due until the month following completion, so this shouldn’t be an issue.
    • KatieDee
    • By KatieDee 16th Apr 19, 3:31 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    KatieDee
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:31 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:31 PM
    This is quite ridiculous. If you cannot afford to pay your rent, plus some percentage of the new mortgage you've signed up for, you probably shouldn't be buying a house. How is the FTB going to afford moving costs, furniture, everything else that comes with a house move? Or perhaps that might be why he cannot afford the rent...

Sorry, a lot of assumptions there. It just annoys me that at an already stressful time, people don't seem to think twice about putting even more pressure on.

I'd grudgingly pay it to avoid the sale falling through, but I do wonder how this is going to be arranged...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,580Posts Today

7,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin