Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shabbarank5
    • By shabbarank5 16th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    shabbarank5
    BMW or 3rd party used car\extended warranty?
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    BMW or 3rd party used car\extended warranty? 16th Apr 19 at 7:34 AM
    Hi,

so I have recently bought a used BMW xdrive with 45k on the clock. The AT-Auxiliary Transmission has been replaced at 17k and so Im nervous this could happen again and looking at the cost to do these its around the 2.5k mark.

Is anyone familiar with these issues and also would anyone suggest how I can get some form of "peace of mind" for this even if it just covers this and doesn't cost me a fortune? I appreciate you get nothing for nothing but I don't really want to spend loads.

Thanks
Page 1
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 16th Apr 19, 8:09 AM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:09 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:09 AM
    The ultimate peace of mind would be another vehicle - one that does not suffer from this issue.

BMW warranties are good but they are expensive and the much of the 'goodwill' comes subject to having your car serviced at a franchised garage.
    • shabbarank5
    • By shabbarank5 16th Apr 19, 9:00 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shabbarank5
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:00 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:00 AM
    The ultimate peace of mind would be another vehicle - one that does not suffer from this issue.

BMW warranties are good but they are expensive and the much of the 'goodwill' comes subject to having your car serviced at a franchised garage.
    Originally posted by MEM62
    True but I don't think you'll ever get a vehicle which doesn't suffer from one issue or another. Its possible it will never happen again which I am hoping, but just want to look at my options.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 18th Apr 19, 8:44 AM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 18th Apr 19, 8:44 AM
    • 18th Apr 19, 8:44 AM
    True but I don't think you'll ever get a vehicle which doesn't suffer from one issue or another. Its possible it will never happen again which I am hoping, but just want to look at my options.
    Originally posted by shabbarank5
    You are right. Apparently my recently purchased 320i is prone to cam chain issues, injector and coil pack issues. It bothers me not a jot as I have a warranty that will cover me for the next 2.5 years at which point I will not be too far off changing it. It is an after-market rather than BMW warranty but it is comprehensive.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 18th Apr 19, 9:20 AM
    • 18,582 Posts
    • 11,442 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 18th Apr 19, 9:20 AM
    • 18th Apr 19, 9:20 AM
    IF your car qualifies for it, definitely get the BMW warranty and (continue to) get it serviced with BMW.

Almost all other warranties from third parties aren't worth the paper they are written on
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 18th Apr 19, 10:33 AM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 18th Apr 19, 10:33 AM
    • 18th Apr 19, 10:33 AM
    Almost all other warranties from third parties aren't worth the paper they are written on
    Originally posted by motorguy
    The secret is to read the paper first so that you know whether it is or isn't :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,466Posts Today

4,397Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin