Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lovecats
    • By Lovecats 16th Apr 19, 6:19 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lovecats
    Life Assurance to pay of deceased debts
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:19 AM
    Life Assurance to pay of deceased debts 16th Apr 19 at 6:19 AM
    Must life assurance be used to pay a deceased person's debt?
    Last edited by Lovecats; 23-04-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Apr 19, 7:06 AM
    • 21,742 Posts
    • 23,659 Thanks
    zx81
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:06 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:06 AM
    You don't need Martin.

No to both 1 and 2. The debts will be settled for the estate.

Just keep them informed as to the progress of the estate. There's no immediate hurry.

You've received standard letters. I doubt anyone has told them when the funeral was, or current status of the estate.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 16th Apr 19, 7:19 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:19 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:19 AM
    Re the funeral costs - it will be down to whoever signed the paperwork to pay the bill and then claim it back from the estate.

Sometimes the bank will pay funeral directors directly but not sure how this works with grandfather's name no longer on the account.

the will will still be valid (unless they married / divorced in the meantime), though it sounds like relatively little in the estate and the executor may not need to apply for probate
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Apr 19, 8:19 AM
    • 98,002 Posts
    • 66,164 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:19 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:19 AM
    Sorry for your loss

I'm not trying to dodge the debt but I'm just a bit confused about what to do next for my Grandmother, who is useless with money. Before he passed, I told my Grandfather not to worry, that I would look after her. I hardly slept at all last night with worry. Does anyone have any advice?
    The debts form part of the estate and would be repaid from sole/joint assets. So, whether Lloyds take it from the account or not, the debt would still need to be repaid.

If there is insuffiicent cash to clear the debts then sole and joint assets would need to be sold to raise the cash. Only sole assets in your grandmother's name at the date of death would be exempt.

Scottish widows are taking so long,
    They would only have been notified around 7 working days ago or less by the time the notification got from Lloyds to SW. That is not a long time.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,807Posts Today

7,068Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin