Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justme111
    • By justme111 16th Apr 19, 3:14 AM
    • 3,256Posts
    • 3,132Thanks
    justme111
    Nationwide - any point in keeping money coming in?
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:14 AM
    Nationwide - any point in keeping money coming in? 16th Apr 19 at 3:14 AM
    With the demise of a regular saver and me having used the 5% for 2500 already I keep it for the future saver . Is there any point in keeping standing order cycling in and out or not? I opened it long time ago so do not remember what precisely the requirements are.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    I came across so many occasions when people use the word without understanding what it means I decided to use the definition above as a signature.
Page 1
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 16th Apr 19, 5:43 AM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 2,554 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:43 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:43 AM
    Probably not. We have FlexDirect accounts, and if you make the pay-in requirements (1000) it pays 1% interest!!!! So if you need that, then keep funding it. But we've got 0 balance in both of ours now.

Funnily enough, we recently had an offer to transfer into these existing accounts for 100 reward, which we've recently done, but does mean we can't close the accounts for 3 months, as they could re-claim the money. So we can't use them in time for the Santander refer a friend deal - oh well.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 16th Apr 19, 6:54 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    Hattie625
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:54 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:54 AM
    But if you have an older FlexAccount current account (not a FlexDirect or FlexPlus account, the names are so confusing) you need to keep 750+ cycling in each month in order to preserve the free European travel insurance which was a perk of this account (it was withdrawn for newer accounts a couple of years ago). Miss just one month's payment and the perk will be withdrawn.
    • MisterMotivated
    • By MisterMotivated 16th Apr 19, 6:58 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    MisterMotivated
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:58 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:58 AM
    I don't plan to keep mine when the RS matures in June - 1% on 2.5k simply isn't worthwhile when several of my savings accounts pay more than that. I have plenty of other current accounts, so it wouldn't hurt to have one less.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 16th Apr 19, 7:37 AM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 4,827 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:37 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:37 AM
    Funnily enough, we recently had an offer to transfer into these existing accounts for 100 reward, which we've recently done, but does mean we can't close the accounts for 3 months, as they could re-claim the money.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    What was that offer? Was it just the long-running Nationwide Referral 100 offer or something else?
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 16th Apr 19, 9:13 AM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:13 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:13 AM
    I will keep my NW flex account open purely because It comes with an overdraft facility and if I use the facility they only charge 50p a day. My limit is 5000 and compare that to Lloyds its really very competitive.

However its not something I have used yet but may be useful if I need money quickly at a very affordable rate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,419Posts Today

4,341Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin