Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 3
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Apr 19, 11:29 AM
    • 6,741 Posts
    • 6,658 Thanks
    DoaM
    Should we set up a Just Giving page to raise funds to get the OP a guaranteed-working tin foil hat?
    Last edited by DoaM; 18-04-2019 at 1:36 PM. Reason: hat, not hit :-)
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • almillar
    • By almillar 18th Apr 19, 12:14 PM
    • 7,822 Posts
    • 3,211 Thanks
    almillar
    The word that comes to mind is "extremely sinister"
    That's two words.

This is easily proved by the use of wireshark
    ^ Go and do some research on this, gabriel, the same amount of research as you do on the rest of it, and get back to us with your findings.
    Should we set up a Just Giving page to raise funds to get the OP a guaranteed-working tin foil hit?
    Why would they ever believe that it works?!!
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 18th Apr 19, 1:59 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Takmon
    That is good to know. Wireshark I think is a device that collects every bit of data that goes in or out of a computer so it's 100% accurate I believe.

The only problem is that the same type of device is used when people test and confirm that data is being sucked up. I mentioned a story about some researcher finding that recordings of his family were sent back to the mothership and he had used wireshark to prove that i believe.
    I'll try to find the link.

It still doesn't take away from the plain fact that people do worry and that there is always a "whatif"
    Even if most info isn't sucked up does it mean that there does not exist the ability to switch it on and suck up data at the appropriate time and from the appropriate target?

Why did Google suck up all that data that they shouldn't have done by proactively installing special devices in those cars that go around taking pictures of the streets etc?
    I don't think most people understand what actually happens because it's presented in a "clinical and corporate fashion.

What would you think of a man with a mask hiding in the woods outside your home collecting data from your private wifi connection? Most likely you'd call the police and he'd get arrested especially if you knew the data he stole contained pictures of your sisters, daughters, or mother and personal emails to your girlfriend am I correct?

This is exactly what google did. they lied about it saying it was a mistake. They always do this, and this is only about the things they get caught at. Most of what they do they don't get caught.
    This is actual verified historical court and legal action, this is not supposition or speculation this is just one tiny little snipit of the "ethos of" how they think

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417432/Google-broke-law-harvesting-data-peoples-homes-Street-View-cars.html
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24047235

They did exactly the same thing in the UK but I can't find the link

the truth is I am open to thinking that. Part of me thinks that this is the most likely scenario but look at all the links I've provided. Those links prove that I'm not the only person with doubts! These are not concerns of paranoid people, this is main stream media printing this kind of thing with readers who make comments about these topics. All of this causes fear and doubt

I was with a person who just was leaving school and he had taped a bit of tape over his laptop camera" and this is a young man just having turned 16 from a normal middle class british family.
    Originally posted by gabriel73195
    I've already explained that in my last post but you seem to have ignored it....

Google simply drove around and recorded all network traffic that being broadcast, this allowed them to create a MAP of Wi-Fi hotspots among other things.

This information is something that anyone walking past your house can access so it's not private and if people are not using security on their Wi-Fi networks then that is their own fault.
    Google simply got a few seconds of information from each Wi-Fi network as they drove past. If people had the appropriate security then it would just be nonsense and nothing could be done with it.

If someone was accessing inputting sensitive information on an unsecured wireless network they might as well be shouting it out their window. But then if someone was walking down the street with a voice recorder and happened to record what they were shouting they obviously shouldn't get in trouble for that.

But from your last post you seem to be very anti-technology and want blame technology for problems when you gave examples of people miss-using it.

People have been fired from their jobs for saying inappropriate things about their company long before social media existed. People have also been sharing sexual pictures of themselves long before the internet was used.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 18th Apr 19, 3:01 PM
    • 11,751 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    It's a shame that people seem to be a little naive with their online information, because the rules are pretty simple:-

- Never assume that any communication is secure unless you understand the technology (which most people won't).

- Never commit to insecure communication anything that is confidential or otherwise needs to remain secure.

- Never assume that any information will remain solely in the hands of the person you sent it to.

- Once information has gone online, assume that it can resurface at any point in the future, and in any context. Only place information online if this point is understood.

- If another party with big pockets is accepting liability for losses then understand the limitations and how to remain within the Ts and Cs for such guarantees.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 18th Apr 19, 4:39 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Takmon
    This is part of the terms and conditions my friend highlighted before it was sent to me:

Searches and commands. Search queries and commands when you use Microsoft products with search or related productivity functionality.

Voice data. Your voice data, such as the search queries or commands you speak, which may include background sounds.

Text, inking, and typing data. Text, inking, and typing data and related information. For example, when we collect inking data, we collect information about the placement of your inking instrument on your device.

Content. Content of your files and communications you input, upload, receive, create, and control. For example, if you transmit a file using Skype to another Skype user, we need to collect the content of that file to display it to you and the other user. If you receive an email using Outlook.com, we need to collect the content of that email to deliver it to your inbox, display it to you, enable you to reply to it, and store it for you until you choose to delete it. Other content we collect when providing products to you include:

Communications, including audio, video, text (typed, inked, dictated, or otherwise), in a message, email, call, meeting request, or chat.

Photos, images, songs, movies, software, and other media or documents you store, retrieve, or otherwise process with our cloud.

Sources
    https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/PrivacyStatement
    Originally posted by gabriel73195
    A lot of that is to cover themselves when you send crash reports to them because it will send all the relevant data of what happened at the time which can include personal data depending on what you were doing. But remember you can opt out of sharing this data with them:

You have choices when it comes to the technology you use and the data you share. When we ask you to provide personal data, you can decline.
    by Microsoft
    So yes it is technically possible like almost anything is technically possible. But they certainly won't be automatically collecting all this personal data and it would be very easy to see this happening just by looking at the network usage if all data was always being sent.
    If Microsoft were found to be collecting and/or storing this data without consent they would certainly be fined and it would be much much worse than what google did so they wouldn't risk it.

Really the overall answer to your questions is that if a device is connected to the internet and has a keyboard, microphone, webcam or any other input then software can be created to use this to monitor you.
    BUT there is a lot of security in place to stop this from happening remotely and wouldn't even be easy if you have the device in your hand for a period of time.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 18th Apr 19, 8:22 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 1,929 Thanks
    RumRat
    Tin Foil hats re-radiate all your communications, which can be picked up by Government agencies,via all their agents cycling around with clandestine receptors, disguised as onions.
    This may or may not be a problem after Brexit.
    So, I wouldn't recomment a TFH......
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

987Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin