Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blackavar
    • By Blackavar 15th Apr 19, 10:27 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 24Thanks
    Blackavar
    Unsure how to answer prev claims question
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:27 PM
    Unsure how to answer prev claims question 15th Apr 19 at 10:27 PM
    Hi. I am in the process of changing buildings and contents insurance away from current provider as cost gone from 200 to 600.
    I usually use Moneysupermarket but anyway a question asked in the application is 'have you made any claims in the past X years?'
    Well, I did make 2 claims last year - 1. tile damage on roof causing water leaking into bedroom. Insurer said wind speed insufficient to be covered (despite a named storm that my neighbour claimed successfully for) and the 'emergency cover' guys showed up the next day to take a look but did nothing. So claim not paid.
    2. carpets being destroyed in 2 corners apparently by an insect. Advised not covered on policy so fair enough. Claim not paid.
    So my question is - when asked 'have you made any claims' I guess the answer is yes although nothing paid out but I don't want to seem like a serial claimer because I'm definitely not. There doesn't seem to be an option of claimed but not paid out.
    So does 'Have you made a claim' mean a paid out claim or any claim?
    Thanks in advance for advice.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Apr 19, 11:43 PM
    • 28,949 Posts
    • 11,863 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:43 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:43 PM
    No, it means did you make a claim which you did twice.

Whether you were covered or paid out is not the question at that point.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • davidwatts
    • By davidwatts 16th Apr 19, 2:01 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    davidwatts
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:01 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:01 PM
    In common with most insurers, Moneysupermarket ask if you've made any claims or "suffered any losses" in the last 5 years so you need to disclose events whether you claimed successfully, unsuccessfully or chose not to claim.

I'd be a bit 50/50 about disclosing the second incident myself as that's something that wouldn't be covered by most, if not all, policies. If you "made a claim" then I'd disclose it. If you enquired about whether you could claim and were told you couldn't then I'd be inclined not to mention it. I definitely wouldn't be disclosing that event if I hadn't advised the insurer about it. The risk you run is that the event has been added to the claims database and is picked up and challenged by the new insurer.

Safety first approach is disclose both, answering the specific questions your are asked as accurately as possible. You may find it doesn't have too drastic an impact on the quotes you get back.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Apr 19, 2:55 PM
    • 38,619 Posts
    • 22,563 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:55 PM

I'd be a bit 50/50 about disclosing the second incident myself as that's something that wouldn't be covered by most, if not all, policies. If you "made a claim" then I'd disclose it. If you enquired about whether you could claim and were told you couldn't then I'd be inclined not to mention it. I definitely wouldn't be disclosing that event if I hadn't advised the insurer about it. The risk you run is that the event has been added to the claims database and is picked up and challenged by the new insurer.........
    Originally posted by davidwatts
    The OP did make a "claim" for damage to the carpet.

It was rejected

Nevertheless a claim was made and will be on record

Not to disclose it would be a breach of the policy TS & CS , allowing the insurer to reject a future claim/ void or cancel the policy etc
    • davidwatts
    • By davidwatts 16th Apr 19, 3:18 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    davidwatts
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:18 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:18 PM
    A claim may be on record. If there's any doubt whatsoever then I agree it should be disclosed to avoid issues further down the line.

It's not uncommon for some insurers to "pre-screen" or triage claims and not proceed to actually register it as a claim if that would be in the customer's best interests (and their own in terms of formally registering a claim). If you phoned up, briefly explained what had happened and were told it was something you couldn't claim for then that might be the end of the matter with some insurers. I certainly know of insurers who seeks to dissuade customers from registering small claims that might be barely worth it after the excess and no claim discount reduction are taken into account. Some of them have this built into the recorded message you hear before getting to actually speak to someone to register a claim.

Best for the OP to assume they made a claim for that event and proceed accordingly, unless they feel inclined to check with their insurer. (Perfectly reasonable to ask if that event was recorded as a claim or just treated as an enquiry.)
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Apr 19, 3:32 PM
    • 38,619 Posts
    • 22,563 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:32 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:32 PM
    Problem arises if you are asked (as many insurers do) about " claims OR losses".

In this case the OP will certainly have at least a loss to disclose!

Most insurers do record rejected claims (obviously they need a record of the facts of a rejected claim should the policyholder subsequently contest their decision)
    • davidwatts
    • By davidwatts 16th Apr 19, 4:08 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    davidwatts
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:08 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:08 PM
    As I said earlier, I wouldn't be disclosing the insects munching carpet incident myself if a claim hadn't been made.

I accept, though, that this is an instance where it would be better to do as you say rather than as I'd do.

The previous claims/losses question is probably the toughest nut to crack when it comes to having clear and unambiguous questions. There's a significant pressure from various sources to just ask about claims made and do away with losses and incidents because it's hard to frame a question that clearly conveys what should be disclosed and what doesn't need to be.

At one extreme, if you have significant losses whilst uninsured (e.g. fire, theft, multiple instances of malicious damage) then insurers will want to know about those even if you weren't able to make a claim. On the other hand, you might have dropped a couple of plates whilst doing the washing up but I doubt anyone is disclosing that to the insurer even if, by strict interpretation, the question wording would require it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

1,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin