Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hatters14
    • By hatters14 15th Apr 19, 10:10 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 22Thanks
    hatters14
    Selling house privately
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:10 PM
    Selling house privately 15th Apr 19 at 10:10 PM
    We have a house that is in poor condition that we would like to sell. We do have a potential buyer. He is asking us for a letter/email confirming how much we would like to sell the house for. We think he wants to use this information to support his mortgage application.

We have seen many templates relating to the Buyer making an offer to the Seller but not the other way round.

I wondered if anyone could assist with the best way to word such a letter please?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Apr 19, 10:17 PM
    • 10,919 Posts
    • 12,025 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:17 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:17 PM
    I'm not sure how it would "support" a mortgage application. Have you actually agreed a price with him? There's no great magic to the wording of a letter, as long as it says something about it being subject to contract (so the letter isn't somehow construed as being a contractual offer to sell).
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Apr 19, 6:43 AM
    • 21,918 Posts
    • 20,644 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:43 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:43 AM
    If you were selling through an EA, the first piece of documentation of any sale would be the memorandum of sale - which lists buyer and seller, their solicitors, and the sale price.

Google that, and there's plenty of samples available.
    • Sedge123
    • By Sedge123 16th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    Sedge123
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    We bought privately. We agreed a price over a glass of wine and then visited our mortgage advisor to start the ball rolling. Slightly different situation as we knew the sellers and were confident they would stand by their word. I think maybe your buyers want something in writing as confirmation of the price agreed.
    Determined to save and not squander!
    On a mission to save money whilst renovating our new forever home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,259Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin