Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lord_e55ex
    • By Lord_e55ex 15th Apr 19, 9:07 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Lord_e55ex
    Coventry Building Society opinion
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:07 PM
    Coventry Building Society opinion 15th Apr 19 at 9:07 PM
    Hi all

I have been moving from ISA product to product within Virgin for years, but am giving serious thought to opening a Coventry Building Society account and transferring one or two.

All I wanted to know, the age old question, what has everyone’s experience with them been like? Ive had a real easy time of it with Virgin. Obviously you only hear the horror stories. So was just wondering what’s peoples experiences had been?

thank you
Page 1
    • colsten
    • By colsten 15th Apr 19, 9:43 PM
    • 10,173 Posts
    • 9,336 Thanks
    colsten
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:43 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:43 PM
    Getting your online access set up initially can be a bit of a PITA , and long-winded. The login is also painful as you need a gridcard, which is also used for some other transactions. I seem to remember they said they'll be updating their system in the near future so this should become easier.

Other than that, I can only say positive things about them. I have two cash ISAs with them as they had the best interest rates in the market at the time I was looking. One was a transfer from Nationwide which they completed within 2 working days.

The only reason I would stay with a given cash ISA provider who doesn't offer the best interest rate in the market is that I am committed to a fixed term ISA with them.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 16th Apr 19, 5:05 AM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 2,746 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:05 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:05 AM
    You need to fish out your gridcard to log on, so a bit of a faff, but to my mind that makes it less likely the account could be hacked.
    I think withdrawals go through PM on the next working day which is not ideal.
    Customer service very good - they will reply to secure message promptly.
    • Reed_Richards
    • By Reed_Richards 16th Apr 19, 6:45 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Reed_Richards
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:45 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:45 AM
    They frequently have some of the best interest rates available from a building society. I have used them for some years without any real problems although the grid card login is a faff. If I remember correctly, when you request a withdrawal the request is not processed until the following day and subject to limits on the amount.
    Reed
    • Speedster2
    • By Speedster2 16th Apr 19, 1:34 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Speedster2
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:34 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:34 PM
    I’ve found them pretty good. I have held their cash ISAs and have an Offset mortgage and it’s very easy to transfer balances back and forwards between them. Cash ISA and JISA interest rates are market leaders.
    Agree the grid card is a bit of a pain. I have a photo of mine in Google Keep notes app so I don’t need to physically have the card on me to log in. Hoping that the system update the poster above mentioned does do away with that aspect.
    Customer service on the phone has been good so far.
    Save £12k in 2014 #163: £14319
    Save £12k in 2015 #31: £12335/£10000
    Save £12k in 2016 #61 : £8220/£12000
    Save £12k in 2019 # : £xx/£12000
    Mortgage Offset Personal Challenge £38948 / Virtual Balance £79274
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 16th Apr 19, 3:56 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:56 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:56 PM
    I think they are fine to deal with but they are frankly lax in their use of personal data.

I applied for an online isa transfer (via a secure system) and they then sent me a letter by standard post with all the information I had supplied on the back of the confirmation letter:

Name
    Address
    Home tel
    Mobile
    Email
    Date of birth
    NI number

Existing ISA account number

Most other providers just send you a letter saying we are processing your transfer from x Bank or BS. I thought it was appalling they would send so much personal data through the post when it simply was not necessary – as it could expose people to ID fraud if their post was intercepted.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 16th Apr 19, 4:22 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 25,607 Thanks
    Miró
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:22 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:22 PM
    I think they are fine to deal with but they are frankly lax in their use of personal data.

I applied for an online isa transfer (via a secure system) and they then sent me a letter by standard post with all the information I had supplied on the back of the confirmation letter:

Name
    Address
    Home tel
    Mobile
    Email
    Date of birth
    NI number

Existing ISA account number

Most other providers just send you a letter saying we are processing your transfer from x Bank or BS. I thought it was appalling they would send so much personal data through the post when it simply was not necessary – as it could expose people to ID fraud if their post was intercepted.
    Originally posted by Rich2808

I had this too and I was a bit surprised! I opened a new ISA and did an online transfer just over a week ago.....so far I have received eleven pieces of post from them - most of them unnecessary!
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 16th Apr 19, 4:26 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:26 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:26 PM
    I had this too and I was a bit surprised! I opened a new ISA and did an online transfer just over a week ago.....so far I have received eleven pieces of post from them - most of them unnecessary!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I got four different envelopes from them on one day when I opened an ISA account – and I was already an existing member with an ISA account with them (so already had my login and grid card).

Their postage bill must be enomous!
    • Lord_e55ex
    • By Lord_e55ex 16th Apr 19, 9:03 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lord_e55ex
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:03 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:03 PM
    Cheers all, thanks for the advice. It sounds like they’re worth a go
    • phykell
    • By phykell 18th Apr 19, 7:07 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    phykell
    I’ve had a good experience with them over the last few years but I’m only really commenting to say hat I don’t mind the grid system at all. I use password management software which allows me to store comments against each login so I have my grid copied in there. It’s a bit clunky compared to other schemes but for the sake of security, I don’t really mind at all, as it’s at least enforcing security for many people who would tend to be lazy, choosing the same PIN numbers and passwords as their other accounts.
    • caveman38
    • By caveman38 18th Apr 19, 7:49 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    caveman38
    I've just noticed the rates down today. The 2 Yr. FR ISA I took out last week at 1.9% is today 1.6% - maybe other rates have changed too.
    • Sapphire
    • By Sapphire 21st Apr 19, 6:19 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 5,504 Thanks
    Sapphire
    I've just noticed the rates down today. The 2 Yr. FR ISA I took out last week at 1.9% is today 1.6% - maybe other rates have changed too.
    Originally posted by caveman38
    I haven't checked this, but I've just taken out a 3-year fixed rate ISA at 2.05 per cent, and have received confirmation that it has been opened, and that a transfer is going ahead. Looks as though I just scraped in on time, because I believe these rates may not be available anymore (need to check).

For information, I found their telephone service excellent so far – the best of any kind of provider so far. Their forms were very easy to download and fill in (on the computer before printing them out).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

529Posts Today

5,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin