Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Apr 19, 8:08 PM
    • 27,308Posts
    • 115,999Thanks
    candygirl
    Blocked outside kitchen drain
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:08 PM
    Blocked outside kitchen drain 15th Apr 19 at 8:08 PM
    My kitchen sink has been draining slowly for a while .I have used mr muscle sink unblocker, n it's a lot better, but now the outside drain is overflowing, so presume it's blocked
    Any DIY tips to unblock this, before ringing a plumber?
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Page 1
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 15th Apr 19, 8:14 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:14 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:14 PM
    You can get a drain unblocked liquid, used to cost £10 in the hardware shop. You have to manually remove as much water as possible before dropping a certain amount of the liquid down, then move away quick due to the smell / risk of splashback.

Will see if I can find the stuff online for you.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 15th Apr 19, 8:19 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:19 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:19 PM
    https://www.manomano.co.uk/waste-pipe-drain-unblocker/one-shot-drain-unblocker-instant-drain-cleaner-1-litre-drain-opener-3373919?model_id=3373919

It may have been this.

All I remember is the white bottle was in a box, which was in a bag and it had a warning sign on the box. But it worked.
    • worriedindebt
    • By worriedindebt 15th Apr 19, 8:36 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    worriedindebt
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:36 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:36 PM
    https://www.manomano.co.uk/waste-pipe-drain-unblocker/one-shot-drain-unblocker-instant-drain-cleaner-1-litre-drain-opener-3373919?model_id=3373919

It may have been this.

All I remember is the white bottle was in a box, which was in a bag and it had a warning sign on the box. But it worked.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    One shot is pretty good stuff but recently hard to find, (possibly because of the horrific acid attacks in London) . If you use it keep it well away from any kids or elderly family as them accidentally opening the bottle thinking it is bleach could have awful consequences

Itís more suited to small blockages though. We use a trusty old mop as a plunger to unblock our drain
    Thanks to all who post here
    • Robby1988
    • By Robby1988 15th Apr 19, 8:42 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Robby1988
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:42 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:42 PM
    I assume your kitchen waste pipe empties out into a gully?

If thats blocked, i'm afraid the first port of call would be getting a pair of rubber gloves on and sticking your hand down to remove any muck built up in the u-bend. If that doesn't work the blockage will be further down the drains, in which case you might be able to DIY unblock with a pressure washer. Failing that, call a drain company.
    • Heyyouguys
    • By Heyyouguys 15th Apr 19, 8:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Heyyouguys
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:46 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:46 PM
    When we bought our house, the previous owners left us a blocked kitchen gully as a present. We asked someone to come out under the home insurance (this is worth a try as it was free), and they unblocked the drain in a couple of minutes using a lockrod plunger, so I would recommend this. I believe it also comes as part of a wider drain rod set.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 15th Apr 19, 9:02 PM
    • 2,911 Posts
    • 26,369 Thanks
    jk0
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:02 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:02 PM
    Yeah. Sounds like overalls and drain rods down the manhole time to me.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Apr 19, 10:26 PM
    • 27,308 Posts
    • 115,999 Thanks
    candygirl
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:26 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:26 PM
    One shot is pretty good stuff but recently hard to find, (possibly because of the horrific acid attacks in London) . If you use it keep it well away from any kids or elderly family as them accidentally opening the bottle thinking it is bleach could have awful consequences

Itís more suited to small blockages though. We use a trusty old mop as a plunger to unblock our drain
    Originally posted by worriedindebt
    A string type mop? Has it worked on your outside drains?
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 15th Apr 19, 11:04 PM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 4,708 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:04 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:04 PM
    Drain rods if you can lift a drain or manhole cover above the outside drain. You can get a set for about £20. Remember to keep clockwise pressure on the rods as you plunge so you don't end up unwinding a joint and losing a segment in the drain.
    • lucywillow
    • By lucywillow 16th Apr 19, 10:39 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    lucywillow
    If you lift the manhole cover and the water is very high indicating a blockage and you share your drain with another property ie. your property is not detached then it may be worth having a look at the website of your water company. In my area they will unblock shared drains for free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,544Posts Today

7,465Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin