Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ojb
    • By Ojb 15th Apr 19, 7:54 PM
    • 72Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Ojb
    Tenant struggling
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:54 PM
    Tenant struggling 15th Apr 19 at 7:54 PM
    Hi
    My tenant has been paying late and in part payments some from her father and obviously intends to pay it but can't.
    She has a new job and been paying other bills which council tax utilities and TV license before rent.
    She's got a job and kids and appears not to be aware or want to claim anything.
    However I am already charging a rent 15-20% below market value and £65 lower than LHA for two bedrooms in the council area. Its £150 below market value
    I am close to serving a notice as at the moment it's not possible to sell to investors and I may as well live there myself instead of staying at the parents.
    Can I suggest to her an eviction notice may help her get a council property? Or make her aware of housing benefit and put the rent up to that level and expect her to claim the full amount?
    Any advice welcome.
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 15th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    • 5,801 Posts
    • 3,809 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    better issue the section 21 before the consultation ends and likely ban it's use.

Your running a business not a charity, treat it as such.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/15/short-notice-evictions-face-axe-in-tenant-rights-victory

horror stories
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5956212

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5896992
    Last edited by csgohan4; 15-04-2019 at 8:08 PM.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • fishpond
    • By fishpond 15th Apr 19, 8:06 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    fishpond
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:06 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:06 PM
    Totally agree with above post
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!
    • Ojb
    • By Ojb 15th Apr 19, 8:34 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ojb
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:34 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:34 PM
    If she's working full time can she claim housing benefit?
    I'm willing to work with her if possible as I'm a nice landlord but obviously it's a business and got to put that first.
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 15th Apr 19, 9:01 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    AFF8879
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:01 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:01 PM
    I thought the changes were to end “no fault” evictions, I wouldn’t call late / non-payment of rent “no fault”?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 15th Apr 19, 9:08 PM
    • 5,861 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:08 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:08 PM
    Do you know her father? If so you might find that he can have a word with her about paying the rent first before any other bills?
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 15th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 8,383 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    Yes, when my income halved, I paid rent before I bought food, anything.

If you decide to 'help' her get council accommodation (you may have no choice), expect the tenant to not leave until you have gotten the possession order and bailiffs warrant to evict her. This will mean you paying the court fees initially with no guarantee you will get this money back from the tenant).

If she has rent arrears and can not demonstrate she just didn't have enough money to pay the rent, the council will not be very helpful, they could easily decide she made herself voluntarily homeless. She needs to understand this is not the 'easy' option. Plus if they do house her, it will probably be in a single room, anywhere (that's only if she has children and/or needs that obligate the council to help).

She may not pay rent at all once you have served the S21. So that's more costs.
    • letitbe90
    • By letitbe90 15th Apr 19, 9:25 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    letitbe90
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:25 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:25 PM
    I thought the changes were to end “no fault” evictions, I wouldn’t call late / non-payment of rent “no fault”?
    Originally posted by AFF8879
    A section 8/ fault eviction can have things go wrong if the tenants want to be difficult - really frustrating the process (and there are forums which help people do so). Many prefer to just do a section 21 to avoid most of the headache (they can still cause issues but not as much, especially court level).
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Apr 19, 6:16 AM
    • 8,049 Posts
    • 6,877 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:16 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:16 AM
    If she's working full time can she claim housing benefit?
    Originally posted by Ojb
    Housing benefit is based on income so she may be able to get help if on a low income.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/housing-benefit-award
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Ojb
    • By Ojb 16th Apr 19, 8:15 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ojb
    I looked up Hb and it basically said it's changed to universal income which can take 5 weeks to receive payment . Don't think this will help in my situation.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Apr 19, 8:29 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 12,019 Thanks
    davidmcn
    better issue the section 21 before the consultation ends and likely ban it's use.
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    There isn't going to be new legislation in force any time soon.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Apr 19, 8:44 AM
    • 8,049 Posts
    • 6,877 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I looked up Hb and it basically said it's changed to universal income which can take 5 weeks to receive payment . Don't think this will help in my situation.
    Originally posted by Ojb
    If she is struggling to pay the rent it will help for the future. Doing nothing is unlikely to improve anything.

• Ojb
    • By Ojb 16th Apr 19, 9:19 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ojb
    Could I get an agent to take over management of the property pay them 10% and let them deal with it?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Apr 19, 9:22 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 12,019 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Could I get an agent to take over management of the property pay them 10% and let them deal with it?
    Originally posted by Ojb
    I don't think you can just chuck things at agents when they get problematic and hope they'll be happy with 10% of the rent. That's assuming the rent even gets paid.
    • Simonr66
    • By Simonr66 16th Apr 19, 10:13 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    Simonr66
    Hi
    My tenant has been paying late and in part payments some from her father and obviously intends to pay it but can't.
    She has a new job and been paying other bills which council tax utilities and TV license before rent.
    She's got a job and kids and appears not to be aware or want to claim anything.
    However I am already charging a rent 15-20% below market value and £65 lower than LHA for two bedrooms in the council area. Its £150 below market value
    I am close to serving a notice as at the moment it's not possible to sell to investors and I may as well live there myself instead of staying at the parents.
    Can I suggest to her an eviction notice may help her get a council property? Or make her aware of housing benefit and put the rent up to that level and expect her to claim the full amount?
    Any advice welcome.
    Originally posted by Ojb

There is no guarantee the council will house her, they may not have any available housing so she could end up in temporary housing (B&B) for a period although this isn't your problem.

Not everyone wants to claim benefits, a chat and cup of tea may help her understand that if she doesn't sort the rent out she and her children could end up homeless.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Apr 19, 4:52 PM
    • 7,699 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    There is no guarantee the council will house her, they may not have any available housing so she could end up in temporary housing (B&B) for a period although this isn't your problem.

Not everyone wants to claim benefits, a chat and cup of tea may help her understand that if she doesn't sort the rent out she and her children could end up homeless.
    Originally posted by Simonr66
    Pretty sure her dad will have to step up at that point, but she probably knows that with kids in tow and actually paying some rent she has the upper hand?
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 16th Apr 19, 4:59 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    Serve notice, you're not a bottomless pit or charity
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 16th Apr 19, 6:48 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    Slithery
    Originally posted by Ojb
    And you've been a LL how long?

Get your act together before a tenant who actually knows their rights takes you for what they're rightfully entitled to.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Apr 19, 7:23 PM
    • 8,049 Posts
    • 6,877 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Originally posted by Ojb
    Possibly but that won't make the rent more affordable and you will be down 10% of the rental income.

Explaining she may be eligible for housing benefit even when working is likely to be the best option. You get your rental income, she gets to stay where she is.

Many people do not know that benefits are available even when working.

• deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 16th Apr 19, 7:29 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 8,383 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Think this through. You are thinking of paying an agent 10% of your rent to do what you can do. They aren't automatically more knowledgeable than you. And you will still be the LL and responsible. They would just be your agents.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,580Posts Today

7,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin