Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th Apr 19, 7:44 PM
    • 15,431Posts
    • 150,546Thanks
    mardatha
    Tax Credit Appeal
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:44 PM
    Tax Credit Appeal 15th Apr 19 at 7:44 PM
    Neighbour doesn't have internet access so I am asking for her. Her daughter started work in Sept but didn't notify the Tax Cred people until later. They have now told her she must pay back all the money from April onwards - when she wasn't working until Sept.
    They said she can't appeal again and she has to take them to court to go any further on this. My neighbour is upset that they can just take this money from April when her daughter was not working until Sept.
    Is there anything she can do ?
    Last edited by mardatha; 16-04-2019 at 6:42 AM.
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 15th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    Tax credits are calculated on an annual basis. If the total year income is such that there is no entitlement to tax credits then any credits paid will have to be paid back.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Apr 19, 7:56 PM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:56 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:56 PM
    Is there anything she can do ?

Go to her local Citizens Advice / advice agency with all her paperwork to get accredited advice.

Your post doesn't explain things very well.
    Tax Credits is assessed on annual income (over the tax year), not just for particular sections of the year.
    Which Tax Year does this relate to?
    Whose claim are you talking about - the Neighbour or the Neighbour's daughter?
    If the neighbour, was she claiming Child Tax Credits for her daughter?
    Did the daughter leave full time non-advanced education to start a job? Is this what has caused the overpayment?
    What do you mean by "They said she can't appeal again and she has to take them to court to go any further on this."
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 15-04-2019 at 8:12 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th Apr 19, 8:21 PM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,546 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:21 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:21 PM
    Sorry for not being clear. This is for last year, 2018.
    Neighbour is my age, 70, this relates to her daughter. Neighbour is worried sick and asked me to ask you lot because I talk about how good this forum is for money matters.
    Her daughter is 50
    Seemingly the daughter has appealed and the TC people turned her down and said she can't appeal again but has to take them to court?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Apr 19, 9:59 AM
    • 6,189 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:59 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:59 AM
    What was the position from April to September?

What was her income from April to September?

As they are going back to April, what tax credits was she getting from April to September?

What are her earnings from April to September?
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 16th Apr 19, 10:25 AM
    • 3,636 Posts
    • 2,451 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:25 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:25 AM
    Tax credits are calculated on an annual basis. If the total year income is such that there is no entitlement to tax credits then any credits paid will have to be paid back.
    Originally posted by calcotti
    In most case, although the one exception would be if she was in receipt of certain means-tested benefits then the income test wouldn't apply for that period.

It really depends on what she was doing/claiming April to September.

IQ
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 16th Apr 19, 1:08 PM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,546 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:08 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:08 PM
    As far as I know she wasn't earning anything April to Sept, apparently she wasn't working but would have been claiming for her husband (low wage) and their son. I know it's not easy as I don't know all the facts, I'm just trying to help my neighbour. TY all xx
    Last edited by mardatha; 16-04-2019 at 1:32 PM.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 16th Apr 19, 2:29 PM
    • 3,636 Posts
    • 2,451 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:29 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:29 PM
    As far as I know she wasn't earning anything April to Sept, apparently she wasn't working but would have been claiming for her husband (low wage) and their son. I know it's not easy as I don't know all the facts, I'm just trying to help my neighbour. TY all xx
    Originally posted by mardatha
    If her husband was working, unlikely they were receiving means-tested benefits which probably means the overpayment is correct for the reasons explained above - because tax credits averages income across the year. This means earnings later in the year can impact payments earlier in the year.

IQ
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 16th Apr 19, 4:01 PM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,546 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:01 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:01 PM
    That makes sense Icequeen, thank you! xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,234Posts Today

7,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin