Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eastminster
    • By Eastminster 15th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Eastminster
    HMRC Research Request
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    HMRC Research Request 15th Apr 19 at 6:47 PM
    I have just received an email from a woman working as a part of the Research Recruitment team at HMRC.

She wants me to take part in a survey but I am not sure it is genuine. I have included part of the email below'

"We are keen to talk to you about how you log into your Personal Tax Account or access HMRC records online.

It will be an online interview, which requires you to use your laptop or computer (not a tablet or phone) so that the researcher can share her screen, for you to view some test pages. These test pages will help us to understand how clear our screens are, so please don't feel that you are being tested."

Has anyone else received a similar request?
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th Apr 19, 7:11 PM
    • 13,386 Posts
    • 10,728 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:11 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:11 PM
    Instinct screams scam.

But whats the email? Not definitive as emails can be spoofed but most scammers aren't that bright.

Did it address you as your name appears on your online account? Is that the email you signed up on? Why aren't they conducting it via your account? Or via everyones account for that matter? Would be cheaper to set up a online survey form than have someone do a online chat......

I'd say identity thieves. Looking to gain financial information about you to see how much you're worth as well as access to sensitive financial information.

Report it to HMRC.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 15th Apr 19, 7:25 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    newatc
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:25 PM
    I got one too using my correct christian name. I thought the address looked reasonable but I did notice they asked you to reply to a no-reply address.

In any event, not taking any chances and it is in the recycle!
    • Eastminster
    • By Eastminster 15th Apr 19, 7:25 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Eastminster
    To be fair they have used my first name which is not included in my email address and I did agree last year to be part of their research panel.

Nevertheless it does appear to be rather amateurish. Oh, and they are offering me a 50 shopping voucher.

Their email is "no-reply@take-part-in-research.service.gov.uk" which does have a genuine ring to it.
    • Eastminster
    • By Eastminster 15th Apr 19, 7:27 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Eastminster
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:27 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:27 PM
    I got one too using my correct christian name. I thought the address looked reasonable but I did notice they asked you to reply to a no-reply address.

In any event, not taking any chances and it is in the recycle!
    Originally posted by newatc
    Good point. How do you reply to a no reply email address?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 15th Apr 19, 7:52 PM
    • 3,762 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:52 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:52 PM
    HMRC Digital (and other government departments) do conduct research with members of the public. 50 vouchers are typical incentives offered.

How you determine it's genuine or not, I have no idea.

• agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Apr 19, 8:30 PM
    • 22,370 Posts
    • 18,398 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:30 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:30 PM
    A quick search found this site https://signup.take-part-in-research.service.gov.uk/home

Which does make it seem like the email could be genuine, but asking for a reply to a no reply address is nonsensical.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 15th Apr 19, 8:58 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    newatc
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:58 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:58 PM
    A quick search found this site https://signup.take-part-in-research.service.gov.uk/home

Which does make it seem like the email could be genuine, but asking for a reply to a no reply address is nonsensical.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I think that sums it up correctly. Probably not spam but not clever.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 16th Apr 19, 4:54 PM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    polymaff
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:54 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:54 PM
    HMRC. Nonsensical? Amateurish? Not Clever?

No, can't see the connection ...
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Apr 19, 7:43 PM
    • 22,370 Posts
    • 18,398 Thanks
    agrinnall
    HMRC. Nonsensical? Amateurish? Not Clever?

No, can't see the connection ...
    Originally posted by polymaff

Whoda thunk it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

1,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin