Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KK14
    • By KK14 15th Apr 19, 6:44 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    KK14
    When should I start looking?
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:44 PM
    When should I start looking? 15th Apr 19 at 6:44 PM
    I will be shortly ( in the next few weeks) put my mumís bungalow on the market as I have inherited the property after she sadly passed away.
    Probate will be applied for this week.
    I know we can put her house on the market without probate & when the sale goes through, I will have enough money to buy a property outright myself ( and get off the rental ladder) & it seems that the estate agents are very confident that the bungalow will sell quickly but when should I start looking at & viewing properties?
Page 1
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 15th Apr 19, 9:13 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:13 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:13 PM
    People are put off by houses without probate as there is no guarantee how long that would take.

We sold our late father's house, it went on the market in 2017 took a year to find a buyer and complete (We weren't greedy, there was an issue with access that put people off)
    • markin
    • By markin 15th Apr 19, 9:38 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    markin
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:38 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:38 PM
    Start looking online now, get to know what area and streets you like and prices you can expect to pay, and if a house comes up in that area you can jump on it quicker with viewings. Some may still be for sale when you are ready.
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 16th Apr 19, 8:34 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    oozle1989
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:34 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:34 AM
    Start looking online now, get to know what area and streets you like and prices you can expect to pay, and if a house comes up in that area you can jump on it quicker with viewings. Some may still be for sale when you are ready.
    Originally posted by markin
    Agree with this. The more knowledge you have when you enter the market the better.

I was looking at rightmove for around 2 years before we bought. It gave me a chance to do some proper research on each area and refine our search criteria so when we did come to buy, we weren't wasting our time looking in areas that I knew weren't for us.
    • KK14
    • By KK14 16th Apr 19, 9:41 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    KK14
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:41 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:41 AM
    Thank you. I know exactly where & what I want to buy as I have had a very keen eye on Rightmove for a while.
    I would really like to buy my rental property & I will make the landlord an offer but it does need a lot of work doing to it.
    It was his mum’s house though so he had a big emotional attachment to it but maybe less so now. If you don’t ask then you don’t get I guess!
    I’m open to other properties though so I may as well start looking & viewing. Properties don’t generally hang about here though so I don’t want to lose a property.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 16th Apr 19, 9:55 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    pattypan4
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:55 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:55 AM
    look at areas etc but don`t put any offers in yet. Probate can take 6+ months and then you have to sell which can take a year and all paperwork and certs will be needed. Don`t be too quick, its gets very stressful
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,650Posts Today

7,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin