Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shirecycle
    • By Shirecycle 15th Apr 19, 6:19 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Shirecycle
    NHS Dental Penalty Charge
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:19 PM
    NHS Dental Penalty Charge 15th Apr 19 at 6:19 PM
    Hello, I hope someone can give me advice.
    I have had a letter from the NHS Business Services Authority telling my I had free treatment on a date at the very end of January, true, also that they could find no record of me being entitled to free treatment on that date.
    My benefit changed from incapacity/income support to ESA income related, both having the free dental treatment and prescription, it officially changed over 2 weeks after this appointment. I've supplied them with evidence that I was on income support before that date and the change over date. I've just had a letter telling me the information I provided doesn't cover the date. So I have a bill for the 20 treatment plus extra 100 penalty if I pay it within 14 days otherwise they'll add another 50 and hand it over to a debt agency.

All they say is that I wasn't entitled to free treatment on that day, nothing else.

I know I was entitled and have been getting free dental treatment years previously without issue, I have a horrible feeling I ticked the ESA box rather than the income support. I haven't tried to cheat the NHS, the treatment would have been free, I just fear I have checked the wrong box, pre-empted maybe, I don't work due to mental health issues, possibly a bit out of it on the medication. Is it reasonably to get it over turned? It seems a bit pedantic.
    I'm stressed out, thats a huge amount!
Page 1
    • Shirecycle
    • By Shirecycle 15th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shirecycle
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    Actually the original letter says I ticked the box saying I was on income support. So I'm flummoxed.
    I've sent evidence that was what I was on, on that date in question. Feels like a bit of a private company money making scam tbh.
    • venison
    • By venison 15th Apr 19, 7:09 PM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 3,988 Thanks
    venison
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:09 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:09 PM
    its not a scam but if all is as you say then I can't understand the problem, if they maintain they are right and you are wrong then personally I would get my MP involved that should sharpen their minds.
    If you fail to prepare, you must be prepared to fail.
    • tryin
    • By tryin 15th Apr 19, 7:12 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tryin
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:12 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:12 PM
    The system for sending out fines is a mess. Last time I was in the dentist sign said over 400,000 people were fined. At least 3 of those were in my family. But they cleared it up by showing they had the right, without too much of a problem.
    • Shirecycle
    • By Shirecycle 15th Apr 19, 7:43 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shirecycle
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:43 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:43 PM
    Thank you.
    Someone else has advised me to check my bank statements, it does have the benefit payment with my national insurance number and right next to it the benefit type, the IS for income support for the date in question and the change to ESA after.
    So hopefully thats more proof, right? The original letter gave the option to go to a job centre plus office and have any documents witnessed and signed by them as proof, instead of photocopies directly, which possibly might be the problem? I don't want to post bank statements directly.
    Obviously NHS Business Services Authority have threatened extra charges if I don't pay within 14 days, I'm just worried if I can't get an appointment in time and this just escalates!
    Last edited by Shirecycle; 15-04-2019 at 7:54 PM.
    • Shirecycle
    • By Shirecycle 16th Apr 19, 11:53 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shirecycle
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:53 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:53 AM
    The system for sending out fines is a mess. Last time I was in the dentist sign said over 400,000 people were fined. At least 3 of those were in my family. But they cleared it up by showing they had the right, without too much of a problem.
    Originally posted by tryin
    I don't suppose you know what evidence they used to prove they were right?
    I sent a copy of a Jobcentre plus letter which listed my previous income support benefit, the benefit name it was changing to and the dates. Which apparently isn't enough, but they aren't saying what would be.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 16th Apr 19, 12:48 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:48 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:48 PM
    Fight it and appeal it, can you also contact DWP and ask for a letter confirming the dates you were in receipt of your benefits which will cover the date you were at the dentist therefore proving you were receiving the benefit in the first place.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

37Posts Today

1,432Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin