Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • livlou
    • By livlou 15th Apr 19, 5:56 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    livlou
    Inheriting house mortgage
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:56 PM
    Inheriting house mortgage 15th Apr 19 at 5:56 PM
    Hi all,
    My father may be giving me my grandparents home (my inheritance) early so I can live in it. The thing is, it has been left for the past 8 years with no one living in it and now it is run down and will need a massive renovation (Including installing central heating and removing lead pipes).
    I'm looking for advice on whether I could have the house signed over to me and then somehow remortgage it? Whether I try to get a mortgage on it at the minute with the issue being in it's current state I may be offered less than I will need to do it up? Or whether I get a loan of roughly 30,000 to do it up enough to then take out a mortgage which would then pay off the loan?
    This would be my first house and I would really like to bring some love back into this home but I don't want to go about things the wrong way.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Apr 19, 6:27 PM
    • 35,545 Posts
    • 21,727 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:27 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:27 PM
    Why has it been sitting empty for 8 years?

When did the grandparents die who did they leave it too?
    • livlou
    • By livlou 15th Apr 19, 6:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    livlou
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:52 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:52 PM
    Basically Grandad was moved into a home and shortly thereafter passed and Nanna was moved into a home so she wasn't alone.
    The house next door was Grandads sisters and between my dad, uncle and auntie it was decided the men would share the houses and auntie would have the money. Uncle bought out dad for the house next door so dad owns grandparents house.
    My dad was set on doing it all up and renting it out once he has his pension which is in 2 years still. Now I'm trying to prove that the house needs somebody in it and the 15,000 he will get from his pension will not be enough to make the house suitable for renting out.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Apr 19, 6:59 PM
    • 13,514 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:59 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:59 PM
    I guess this proves a point from other threads, even with all the recent changes in legislation,and todays announcement , and more to come, people still blindly plunge into BTL.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Apr 19, 7:07 PM
    • 35,545 Posts
    • 21,727 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:07 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:07 PM
    Inherit and let the numbers stack up a little better.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 16th Apr 19, 12:09 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:09 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 12:09 PM
    If you earn north of 60,000 and have no other debts and good credit history you may well get a loan for close to the amount you need.

If not I would start saving and get as much work done without the need to borrow anything.

Assuming you have somewhere to live currently and no rush to move into it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

482Posts Today

5,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin