Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whambam
    • By whambam 15th Apr 19, 5:45 PM
    • 442Posts
    • 41Thanks
    whambam
    Changing Direct Payment Options
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:45 PM
    Changing Direct Payment Options 15th Apr 19 at 5:45 PM
    Hello,

How has your experience been changing direct payment options?

My current local authority are refusing to change the options since June last year. They have broken the care act not issuing me with written reasons for refusal.

I'm now involving an advocacy project team and the first minister as going direct seems to lead to nothing with social services.

Kind regards.
Page 1
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 15th Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    I've only been given two options with my care package. I can either use a care provider or go direct payments so have find my own staff. Can I ask what options you would like?
    • whambam
    • By whambam 15th Apr 19, 6:07 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    whambam
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:07 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:07 PM
    It's options 1 a direct payment to the individual dedicated bank account managed by a centre for inclusive living to employ/fire a PA of your own choice rather than going through a council or private care provider were you are unable to fire them or employ them of your choice you get put with one then you have to shut up complaints are ignored.
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 15th Apr 19, 6:16 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:16 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:16 PM
    I was told that direct payments wouldn't be suitable for me as apparently I lack capacity to look after my own finances and have an appointee, he wouldn't be able to manage direct payments for me. Thats why I'm basically stuck with care company and the restrictions that holds i.e constantly short staffed and always having strangers support me plus I don't want 18/19 year old kids working with me.

They might be thinking along the lines of that with you?
    • whambam
    • By whambam 15th Apr 19, 6:28 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    whambam
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:28 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:28 PM
    It's easy to manage they tell you it's very difficult. You can use a centre of inclusive living main cities have them they do payroll, recruitment and financial monitoring. They can also set up interview rooms and assistance for you for doing disclosures. They are regulated which you are not unfortunately.
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 15th Apr 19, 6:40 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:40 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:40 PM
    I have heard some good and bad things about direct payments. The good its more person centred and the support is flexible, (my support is tied down to a monthly rota) The bad is that their isn't much variety in people supporting you and if the person leaves or is bad you have to start the process all over again.

My friend has gone direct payment and she loves it, it works very well for her, she poached two staff from the support company we both used lol.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,924Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin