Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miss_Chilli
    • By Miss_Chilli 15th Apr 19, 5:27 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Miss_Chilli
    Money Transfer Card
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:27 PM
    Money Transfer Card 15th Apr 19 at 5:27 PM
    Hi

I want to have some work done at home, and the cheapest way to do it is a money transfer. Barclaycard are doing a 1.9% offer till Oct 2020, but this is also my spending card (cashback) which I always pay in full.

I can't apply for another Barclaycard, but they have said there should be no penalty by keeping it for spending and putting a money transfer on. (will obviously need to pay off spending in full every month)

I always thought this was a No No, (from many many years ago), but just wondering if anybody has recently done this and had a good experience.

My other option would be to apply for another Credit card for spending and use existing B/Card for money transfer.

Any advice gratefully received :-)
Page 1
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 15th Apr 19, 8:28 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:28 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:28 PM
    Barclaycard is the exception to the general rule. If you repay all new spending by the date due plus the minimum payment due on the promotional balance they do not charge interest. However, do double check that this is applicable to the type of card that you hold.
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 16th Apr 19, 5:08 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Craig1981
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:08 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:08 AM
    what work are you having done? if it is something that all of it can be paid with using a CC, then maybe a purchase card for this will be better - some offer 0% deal for 20 months or so, so will save you the 1.9% transfer fee as well. prices over 100 paid with a CC will give you some additional protection as well...

this is however, subject to approval/limits and if all your building work can be onto a CC
    • Miss_Chilli
    • By Miss_Chilli 16th Apr 19, 6:15 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Miss_Chilli
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:15 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:15 AM
    Hi Craig1981 - I'm having some storage put into a spare bedroom. The Joiner will only take bank transfer.

I do have a good credit rating

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

978Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin