Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elenapopaphoto
    • By elenapopaphoto 15th Apr 19, 5:25 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    elenapopaphoto
    Deposits and tax year
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:25 PM
    Deposits and tax year 15th Apr 19 at 5:25 PM
    Hi,

Not sure if this has a direct implication on cutting tax, I have a feeling it might.

As a wedding photographer, I take non-refundable deposits from clients to reserve their date. The deposits are, more often than not, paid in the tax year ahead of the wedding day itself (which is when the balance is due and services are performed).

I do my accounts on a cash basis. Am I wrong in declaring deposits as money earned during the tax year during which they were actually paid? Or should I declare them in the tax year during which I perform the service?

Obviously if second option, then I'd be paying less tax this year...but I'd rather keep it simple and declare income as it comes in!

Any thoughts massively appreciated!
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 15th Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    • 7,942 Posts
    • 7,655 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    cash basis means what it says, you are doing it correctly
    • elenapopaphoto
    • By elenapopaphoto 15th Apr 19, 5:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    elenapopaphoto
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:47 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:47 PM
    Thanks - that's what I thought, until someone's accountant told me you should be declaring deposits during the tax year the services were provided. Hence my confusion and panic mode!
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 15th Apr 19, 6:07 PM
    • 11,376 Posts
    • 21,743 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:07 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:07 PM
    Thanks - that's what I thought, until someone's accountant told me you should be declaring deposits during the tax year the services were provided. Hence my confusion and panic mode!
    Originally posted by elenapopaphoto
    That would be right if you hadn't adopted the cash basis.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    • 13,394 Posts
    • 10,737 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    Originally posted by elenapopaphoto
    Not all accountants were created equally
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,924Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin