Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bulwer
    • By Bulwer 15th Apr 19, 5:13 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 54Thanks
    Bulwer
    Capital One letter - legit or not?
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:13 PM
    Capital One letter - legit or not? 15th Apr 19 at 5:13 PM
    I got a letter today from Capital One telling me that someone may have attempted to use my personal details to set up a Creditwise account and want me to send an email with a unique reference number to either confirm or deny it was me.

It was franked mail on headed paper and the email address would appear to be a valid Capital One domain but the letter just looks a bit, well, rubbish. I've worked in IT for many years so know all about phishing scams and this looks legit but just wanted to check as I can't find a reference to this kind of letter anywhere. The lack of a contact number on the letter is what is bugging me.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Apr 19, 5:18 PM
    • 21,736 Posts
    • 23,652 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:18 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:18 PM
    Call them on a number you trust.
    • Bulwer
    • By Bulwer 15th Apr 19, 5:25 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Bulwer
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:25 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:25 PM
    Call them on a number you trust.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Never had any dealings with them but that will be my next step - just thought I would check if anyone else had had one.
    • Bulwer
    • By Bulwer 15th Apr 19, 5:38 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Bulwer
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:38 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:38 PM
    I did just phone but got an Indian Call Centre telling me that there was a note saying Creditwise was down a few days ago so perhaps it was that! I'll try again tomorrow as their fraud team go home at 6 apparently. Probably legit but they need to work on their letters if it is as it looks a bit unprofessional which is exactly what you don't want in a legit fraud warning.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

399Posts Today

5,377Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin