Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Daisy Blue
    • By Daisy Blue 15th Apr 19, 4:28 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Daisy Blue
    EA says they have to be present at house viewing for insurance purposes
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:28 PM
    EA says they have to be present at house viewing for insurance purposes 15th Apr 19 at 4:28 PM
    I had an offer accepted on a house where the owners are separating. My viewing was with the agent. Last week I contacted a surveyor for a home buyer survey and he contacted the agent to arrange it.
    He then got back in touch with me to say he was having issues, but eventually an appointment was made direct with one of the owners, as they want to be there. I wanted to join but the estate agent told me that I can't unless he is with me due to indemnity and insurance purposes. The agent can't make the survey time.
    I really would like to be at the survey and have another look around/measure up, but the agent is now saying that this couple splitting up is a bit of nightmare situation. The surveyor doesn't have any other time until May so don't want to lose this slot.
    If this is true about insurance, then how do online agencies like Purple Bricks deal with it? I've viewed houses before with just the owners present.
    I think that the agent just wants to keep me away from the owners. Warning bells are ringing now and I'm not sure how to proceed
Page 2
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th Apr 19, 12:02 PM
    • 11,603 Posts
    • 15,490 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Yes. I didn't realise it wasn't the done thing. I just thought if I'm paying then why shouldn't I be there?
    Originally posted by Daisy Blue
    Do you sit with the mechanic when you get your car MOTd or serviced?
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn...
    • DavyJones61
    • By DavyJones61 16th Apr 19, 1:02 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    DavyJones61
    Do you sit with the mechanic when you get your car MOTd
    The place where I get my car MOT'd lets you watch, they will even show you the corrosion on the underneath of the car while it is on the ramp.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th Apr 19, 1:08 PM
    • 11,752 Posts
    • 10,182 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Do you sit with the mechanic when you get your car MOTd or serviced?
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    I am always present when my car has its MOT, there is a dedicated viewing area completely open to the testing bay
    • Albala
    • By Albala 16th Apr 19, 4:09 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Albala
    I'd let the surveyor do their thing without my presence, I think.They should be willing to discuss things with you further when you get their report if anything bothers you. We had a Building Survey rather than a HB report, and we told the surveyor in advance of some specific concerns we had and things we thought we might do to the building in the future, so the surveyor included those things in their report, in our case, with no extra charge.

If a sale is tricky, and with divorcing sellers it can be very tricky indeed, you don't need any extra complications. An unwilling party can play havoc with a survey if they put their mind to it, believe me. An extra person there in the form of yourself won't make it any easier for the willing seller and the surveyor to negotiate access.

However, I would press the agent about the sellers. Do they both want to sell, did they both agree to your offer, are they both conducting the sale or has one of them been granted sole conduct of sale by a court, may it even need to go back to court again to get your offer approved...etc. That sort of sale can get very difficult, and the more you know, well, forewarned is forearmed.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Apr 19, 8:43 PM
    • 47,785 Posts
    • 58,442 Thanks
    G_M
    I am always present when my car has its MOT, there is a dedicated viewing area completely open to the testing bay
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Not a fair analogy.

By law, MOT stations have to have a customer viewing area.

The place where I get my car MOT'd lets you watch, they will even show you the corrosion on the underneath of the car while it is on the ramp.
    1) I bet they do that after they've finished the MOT, not during?
    2) that is nothing to do with the MOT - that is them trying to get you to book your car in to have the corrosion repaired......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin