Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Daisy Blue
    • By Daisy Blue 15th Apr 19, 4:28 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Daisy Blue
    EA says they have to be present at house viewing for insurance purposes
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:28 PM
    EA says they have to be present at house viewing for insurance purposes 15th Apr 19 at 4:28 PM
    I had an offer accepted on a house where the owners are separating. My viewing was with the agent. Last week I contacted a surveyor for a home buyer survey and he contacted the agent to arrange it.
    He then got back in touch with me to say he was having issues, but eventually an appointment was made direct with one of the owners, as they want to be there. I wanted to join but the estate agent told me that I can't unless he is with me due to indemnity and insurance purposes. The agent can't make the survey time.
    I really would like to be at the survey and have another look around/measure up, but the agent is now saying that this couple splitting up is a bit of nightmare situation. The surveyor doesn't have any other time until May so don't want to lose this slot.
    If this is true about insurance, then how do online agencies like Purple Bricks deal with it? I've viewed houses before with just the owners present.
    I think that the agent just wants to keep me away from the owners. Warning bells are ringing now and I'm not sure how to proceed
Page 1
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 15th Apr 19, 4:34 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:34 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:34 PM
    I had an offer accepted on a house where the owners are separating. My viewing was with the agent. Last week I contacted a surveyor for a home buyer survey and he contacted the agent to arrange it.
    He then got back in touch with me to say he was having issues, but eventually an appointment was made direct with one of the owners, as they want to be there. I wanted to join but the estate agent told me that I can't unless he is with me due to indemnity and insurance purposes. The agent can't make the survey time.
    I really would like to be at the survey and have another look around/measure up, but the agent is now saying that this couple splitting up is a bit of nightmare situation. The surveyor doesn't have any other time until May so don't want to lose this slot.
    If this is true about insurance, then how do online agencies like Purple Bricks deal with it? I've viewed houses before with just the owners present.
    I think that the agent just wants to keep me away from the owners. Warning bells are ringing now and I'm not sure how to proceed
    Originally posted by Daisy Blue
    "Indemnity and insurance"?

Sounds like a load of old pony to me.

OTOH, why do you want to be there? The surveyor won't talk to you much (if at all) whilst they're doing their surveying thing (at least, not about the house).

If you just want to measure up and/or have another viewing, you can arrange that directly with the vendor, surely?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Apr 19, 4:36 PM
    • 11,590 Posts
    • 15,478 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:36 PM
    Not the done thing for you to be there when the surveyor goes round.

Go another day - not the same day.

If the EA is saying it's a nightmare, they usually underplay it, so you can guarantee there are major issues. Could one be refusing to sell? Refusing to move out?
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn...
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 15th Apr 19, 4:36 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    The EA is talking a bit of nonsense, but I can't imagine the surveyor will be thrilled to have you tagging along.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Apr 19, 4:37 PM
    • 10,842 Posts
    • 11,927 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:37 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:37 PM
    I think that the agent just wants to keep me away from the owners.
    Probably, it won't have anything to do with insurance anyway. Pretty normal for agents (and/or vendors) to deter further viewings after an offer has been accepted in case you get cold feet.
    • Daisy Blue
    • By Daisy Blue 15th Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Daisy Blue
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    The surveyor was ok about it and I wasn't going to bother him. The advice from Martin on MSE website is to attend.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 15th Apr 19, 4:45 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:45 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:45 PM
    Never known any person to tag on to surveyor. Are you first time buyer?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Apr 19, 4:47 PM
    • 11,590 Posts
    • 15,478 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:47 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:47 PM
    The surveyor was ok about it and I wasn't going to bother him. The advice from Martin on MSE website is to attend.
    Yup, he does indeed

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/house-buying-guide/

I would change that to 'speak with the surveyor on the phone after they've visited'. But definitely don't agree with about accompanying them!
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn...
    • Daisy Blue
    • By Daisy Blue 15th Apr 19, 4:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Daisy Blue
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:48 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:48 PM
    Yes. I didn't realise it wasn't the done thing. I just thought if I'm paying then why shouldn't I be there?
    Thanks to everyone for confirmation about the insurance part.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Apr 19, 5:00 PM
    • 21,785 Posts
    • 20,497 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I just thought if I'm paying then why shouldn't I be there?
    You're paying him for his report.

Do you want to sit in the office with him while he writes it up, too?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 15th Apr 19, 5:16 PM
    • 62,849 Posts
    • 55,819 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I think that the agent just wants to keep me away from the owners.
    You are buying the property. That's all that matters. I never met the owners of several properties that I've bought over the years. There's no need to.
    "The most dangerous thing is to buy something at the peak of its popularity. At that point, all favourable facts and opinions are already factored into its price and no new buyers are left to emerge.”" - Howard Marks
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 15th Apr 19, 5:21 PM
    • 7,663 Posts
    • 7,717 Thanks
    eddddy
    ... but eventually an appointment was made direct with one of the owners, as they want to be there.
    I suspect the EA is trying to avoid a 'train wreck'!

Is the owner difficult? Could it be that the owner wants to be there "to tell the surveyor how to do his/her job"?

... so the EA doesn't want anyone else (i.e. you) there, just in case that makes things even worse.

Especially, as the EA can't be there to mediate.
    • Daisy Blue
    • By Daisy Blue 15th Apr 19, 5:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Daisy Blue
    The surveyor said one of the owners was difficult when he was trying to arrange the appointment.
    I guess I have to stay away from this and arrange a separate visit, but just concerned now if they get more difficult then I will have wasted my money on a survey etc.
    Not particularly enjoying this house buying experience
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 15th Apr 19, 6:52 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    If the sellers are a nightmare best to avoid contact, you don’t to accidentally say the wrong thing and turn them against you!

The surveyor will do their job exactly the same whether you’re there or not.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Apr 19, 7:58 PM
    • 47,751 Posts
    • 58,409 Thanks
    G_M
    It's definately not the done thing. Surveyors do not want anxious clients following them around, looking over their shoulder, and asking questions.

Even if you say you will leave him to get on with his job while you measure for curtains/whatever, he knows only too well you'll have a question for him. And another.

I had specific issues I wanted looked at in a recent survey (is a wall load bearing etc) and surveyor was happy to look into these and include them in his report . but not with me present!

He was happy to speak to me afterwards (4 times!) on the phone. But was very clear about me not being there when he did the survey.
    Last edited by G_M; 15-04-2019 at 8:02 PM.
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 15th Apr 19, 9:09 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    I used to work for a surveyor. They don't like purchasers to attend. They are not there to babysit whilst you measure up and their arrival time is given within a 2 hour window, or just on the day if it's keys. They are there to do a job for you, let them do it. They aren't insured to have other people follow round, what if you break something or injure yourself? In my experience they are more than happy to call after the survey. Measure up at another time.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 15th Apr 19, 9:29 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    They aren't insured to have other people follow round, what if you break something or injure yourself?
    Originally posted by Finchy2018

Elf & safety gone mad.
    Compensation/Refunds - £4,655 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,060 | Tax Avoidance - £107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Yellow_mango
    • By Yellow_mango 16th Apr 19, 7:29 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Yellow_mango
    FWIW my surveyor actively encouraged me to go around with him. Well to be specific, he did his stuff first, then when he was finished he gave me a call and then he took me round the property and talked me through what he had found. It was really useful.

This was a Buildings Survey I commissioned separately to the mortgage valuation (which I did not attend or get a copy of).

The EA was not there for any part of my surveyors visit. Neither was the owner. I don’t think there’s any “insurance” thing here.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 16th Apr 19, 7:42 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    saajan_12
    Most of the objections here are why the surveyor might want someone interrupting them. THEY can refuse to do the survey with someone following if they choose but they can't allow / deny someone entry to the property they don't own. OP, clarify the surveyors preferences with them.. they may be fine with it!

However SEPARATELY OP is getting push back from the EA. Since you don't own the house, you (or your surveyor) don't have a RIGHT to enter the property. You would have to be given permission by the vendor (perhaps via the EA). If the vendor gives you permission to view at the same time as the surveyor, then go ahead. If the vendor believes the EA then they may not give you that permission, but ultimately its up to the vendor.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 16th Apr 19, 9:20 AM
    • 24,666 Posts
    • 51,986 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    FWIW my surveyor actively encouraged me to go around with him. Well to be specific, he did his stuff first, then when he was finished he gave me a call and then he took me round the property and talked me through what he had found. It was really useful.

This was a Buildings Survey I commissioned separately to the mortgage valuation (which I did not attend or get a copy of).

The EA was not there for any part of my surveyors visit. Neither was the owner. I don’t think there’s any “insurance” thing here.
    Originally posted by Yellow_mango
    So, he didn't want you with him while he did the survey, just like everyone else has said.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,439Posts Today

4,101Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin