Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sueb1979
    • By Sueb1979 15th Apr 19, 4:00 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Sueb1979
    Phased Return
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:00 PM
    Phased Return 15th Apr 19 at 4:00 PM
    I have been looking for answers all over the internet but can't find any that help with my specific questions.
    Basically 10 weeks ago I became unwell due to a congenital heart condition I have and have had about 5 weeks off work in 3 separate instances. I basically returned to work too soon the first time which has caused my condition to worsen. During my time back at work I had started a "phased return" and was working Monday, Wednesday and Friday but only did this for 2 weeks before being admitted to hospital 2 weeks ago.
    I have been off work since and my fit note expires today. I have a meeting with occupational health tomorrow to discuss my return. I have seen my cardiologist and we discussed work. She has advised me that I need to take things slowly during my recovery and felt it would be good to continue with these days and am due in for another review in 3"months. I am still undergoing further tests and treatment.
    My questions are is it likely an employer would allow a phased return to last this long? I have a holiday booked (this has been planned for 10 months) in a few weeks. If in was working a full week I would be requesting 4 days leave, do I use 4 days of my leave or just the 2 that I would actually be scheduled to work?
Page 1
    • eamon
    • By eamon 15th Apr 19, 6:02 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    eamon
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:02 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:02 PM
    Sadly none of us here can know your employers sickness policy, annual leave policy and how they typically manage long term absence (usually 4+ weeks).
    So having said that you need to have a conversation with your employers re your current absence and how your health team see your prospects of returning to work and staying working in the short, medium & long term.

Is there a trade union presence at you workplace and are you a member? If yes speak to them as well they can often be a source of advice as well.

You said that you initally went back to work on a phased return and that you imediate health needs scuppered that. It would be a hard & cold employer to make much of that.

Lastly keep you employer informed, if they suggest a referal to OH (Occupational Health) then I would think thats a good idea and may open up new/different options. Be guided by your health team. Don't worry about the holiday it may help to have positive distractions for a week or two. Though you may have to "technically" return to work in order to get your holiday pay.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 15th Apr 19, 6:12 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    Les79
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:12 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:12 PM
    I suspect it may depend on how your condition is going to progress... If it is going to stay the same or get worse then you may be found to be unfit for work altogether.

If it is going to be managed, or improve, then an employer should be able to accommodate you up to a point (the point can vary depending on how nice they are). A nice employer would be very accommodating of you here.

RE: the holiday time off, speak to your employer. Hard to tell what is going to happen, but they will be able to advise. There's scope for you to negotiate that they actually pay the 4 days if they are initially considering to pay 2 days ("I need to use up my holidays and won't get a chance").

One point I'd like to make is that you might not be entitled to receive holiday pay if it is deemed that you are actually off sick. I think that's all the more reason to speak to the employer to be honest. I may be totally wrong with that, but that has been my experience in past jobs.
    • Sueb1979
    • By Sueb1979 15th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sueb1979
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    Thank you for your replies I have never been in this position and am not sure about how these things work. I work in the NHS. I have never in my life had time off for anything other than common with everyday illnesses.
    My manager is quite supportive and wants me to see occupational health before I re-enter the office, I am an administrator. I am going tomorrow morning.
    My cardiologist gave the impression that she sees my situation improving with the changes to medication they have made but still very early days to tell at the moment.
    I was feeling guilty about my impending trip but after the last few months I think it will do me the world of good so am going to try not to feel bad.
    I really enjoy my job so hope I can continue, though at the moment cannot manage full-time.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 15th Apr 19, 9:00 PM
    • 11,835 Posts
    • 31,854 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:00 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:00 PM
    I worked for the NHS in admin when I needed long term sick

My phased return to work was over 6 months with OH supervising all the way

See OH, they will support you
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 16th Apr 19, 11:55 AM
    • 6,963 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:55 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:55 AM
    How is your phased return funded?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • Sueb1979
    • By Sueb1979 16th Apr 19, 6:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sueb1979
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:17 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:17 PM
    I had my OH meeting today and she has not declared me fit to work at this moment and feels it is beneficial to take a few more weeks to ensure I can actually manage a day at work which she feels is not possible just yet.
    I am seeing GP in the morning about this. My boss seems to be supportive at least when I call her she is and the OH nurse has advised that she feels a phased return or temporary reduction in hours will be the way forward and her recommendation. She even offered to call my boss to tell her I wasn't going back to work today. I have a further review in 4 weeks.
    It was very helpful and very informative as I was unaware that my condition is covered under the disability act.
    For those concerned about seeing OH going on my experience today I highly recommend it they are there to support you.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 16th Apr 19, 6:23 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    eamon
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:23 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:23 PM
    I think that is really positive news. Concentrate your energies on getting your health back to a level that you are happy with and have a lovely holiday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

1,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin