Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BeadyRoller
    • By BeadyRoller 15th Apr 19, 3:56 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 10Thanks
    BeadyRoller
    Parking Ticket Back In June Of Last Year Now Resulting In Court
    • 15th Apr 19, 3:56 PM
    Parking Ticket Back In June Of Last Year Now Resulting In Court 15th Apr 19 at 3:56 PM
    Hi.

So basically, June last year I received a letter through the post explaining that I had a parking ticket for staying in Starbucks car park for to long. At the time I was gigging around the UK and was just killing sometime in the day as I had loads of time spare until I had to be at the next venue. It was just a Starbucks on it's own at the side of a road with a little car park which was empty apart from 2 or 3 cars. I didn't even think to check how long I had as I was using their facilities and presumed all was ok. Since June I have had various letters throughout the year asking to pay and I did a little research and found the best way was to ignore them as it was just a scare tactic to try get me to pay up. Fast forward to now and I have had a County Court letter saying they are taking it to court and I believe I cannot ignore this one.

What do I do next? I am at a loss now, do I just need to pay up or can I put up a defence? The fee has rose a considerable amount and I can't really afford to pay it nor do I think I should have to, I was just having a coffee for goodness sake, the car park was empty so it's not as if I was taking up any room and I was only there for a couple of hours.

I do have proof I was using the Starbucks as it is on my bank statement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never had to deal with this before.

Cheers.
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Apr 19, 4:02 PM
    • 23,080 Posts
    • 36,668 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:02 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:02 PM
    Which solicitors?

Which parking firm?

Have you asked Starbucks to intervene and get this cancelled (let them see proof of patronage on the day, and any other time you’ve used them)?

Have you read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 which explains how you deal with this now you seem to be on the small claims court track?
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    • 22,245 Posts
    • 28,131 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    send your PPC a SAR by email to their DPO for a start

name the PPC and any solicitors involved

what is the DATE OF ISSUE on your claim form ?
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Apr 19, 4:06 PM
    • 6,329 Posts
    • 8,280 Thanks
    waamo
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:06 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:06 PM
    At the top of this board is a thread that tells Newbies to read it first. The second post in that thread details the court process.

There are links to sample defences and instructions on how to fill out the forms. To save KeithP asking what is the issue date of the claim?
    This space for hire.
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 15th Apr 19, 4:11 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:11 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:11 PM
    Hi.

So basically, June last year I received a letter through the post explaining that I had a parking ticket for staying in Starbucks car park for to long. At the time I was gigging around the UK and was just killing sometime in the day as I had loads of time spare until I had to be at the next venue. It was just a Starbucks on it's own at the side of a road with a little car park which was empty apart from 2 or 3 cars. I didn't even think to check how long I had as I was using their facilities and presumed all was ok. Since June I have had various letters throughout the year asking to pay and I did a little research and found the best way was to ignore them as it was just a scare tactic to try get me to pay up. Fast forward to now and I have had a County Court letter saying they are taking it to court and I believe I cannot ignore this one.

What do I do next? I am at a loss now, do I just need to pay up or can I put up a defence? The fee has rose a considerable amount and I can't really afford to pay it nor do I think I should have to, I was just having a coffee for goodness sake, the car park was empty so it's not as if I was taking up any room and I was only there for a couple of hours.

I do have proof I was using the Starbucks as it is on my bank statement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never had to deal with this before.

Cheers.
    Originally posted by BeadyRoller
    Your research is wrong, unless it was in Scotland?

The link is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 15th Apr 19, 4:21 PM
    • 12,665 Posts
    • 12,890 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:21 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:21 PM
    Just the usual PPC scam. Complain to your MP.

On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these private parking companies. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • BeadyRoller
    • By BeadyRoller 15th Apr 19, 5:11 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    BeadyRoller
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:11 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:11 PM
    Which solicitors?

Which parking firm?

Have you asked Starbucks to intervene and get this cancelled (let them see proof of patronage on the day, and any other time youíve used them)?

Have you read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 which explains how you deal with this now you seem to be on the small claims court track?
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Solicitors I believe is QDR Solicitors.

Parking firm is Civil Enforcement LTD.

I haven't yet as I have read a couple posts on TripAdvisor complaining about cases such as mine and Starbucks wouldn't do anything so didn't think it was worth it.

I haven't read that yet no, I will read that tonight.

send your PPC a SAR by email to their DPO for a start

name the PPC and any solicitors involved

what is the DATE OF ISSUE on your claim form ?
    Originally posted by Redx
    I will look in to that.

PPC is Civil Enforcement LTD and Solicitors I believe is QDR Solicitors.

The date issued was 18/06/2018.
    • BeadyRoller
    • By BeadyRoller 15th Apr 19, 5:14 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    BeadyRoller
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:14 PM
    At the top of this board is a thread that tells Newbies to read it first. The second post in that thread details the court process.

There are links to sample defences and instructions on how to fill out the forms. To save KeithP asking what is the issue date of the claim?
    Originally posted by waamo
    Will read that tonight, thanks.

The issue date was 18/06/2018.

Just the usual PPC scam. Complain to your MP.

On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these private parking companies. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    Thanks for the reply, how do I go about contacting my MP? Do I just explain what I have said in this thread?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Apr 19, 5:14 PM
    • 6,329 Posts
    • 8,280 Thanks
    waamo
    Solicitors I believe is QDR Solicitors.

Parking firm is Civil Enforcement LTD.

I haven't yet as I have read a couple posts on TripAdvisor complaining about cases such as mine and Starbucks wouldn't do anything so didn't think it was worth it.

I haven't read that yet no, I will read that tonight.

I will look in to that.

PPC is Civil Enforcement LTD and Solicitors I believe is QDR Solicitors.

The date issued was 18/06/2018.
    I'm guessing that is the issue date of the parking ticket. It's the issue date of the court claim we need.
    This space for hire.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Apr 19, 5:16 PM
    • 22,245 Posts
    • 28,131 Thanks
    Redx
    agreed , you were asked for the DATE OF ISSUE on the claim form, not the original pcn , so the one on your N1 form (a recent date)

you email your MP, they all have them
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Apr 19, 5:20 PM
    • 38,655 Posts
    • 22,598 Thanks
    Quentin
    Just the usual PPC scam. Complain to your MP......

Originally posted by The Deep
    Newbies coming here need to realise that despite this being a "scam", it is not "just" a scam, which suggests it should just be ignored like other scams we are warned about such as scam phone calls telling us we are in trouble for not paying income tax etc, and simply complaining to an MP is not the only way to bring newbies involvement with a PPC to an end

No-one should treat these as scams that are safe to ignore!

Everyday scammers don't win court orders against their victim who ignores them
    Last edited by Quentin; 15-04-2019 at 6:40 PM.
    • BeadyRoller
    • By BeadyRoller 15th Apr 19, 5:24 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    BeadyRoller
    I'm guessing that is the issue date of the parking ticket. It's the issue date of the court claim we need.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Sorry about that! The issue date on the claim form is 20th March 2019.

agreed , you were asked for the DATE OF ISSUE on the claim form, not the original pcn , so the one on your N1 form (a recent date)

you email your MP, they all have them
    Originally posted by Redx
    The issue date is 20th March 2019.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Apr 19, 5:35 PM
    • 14,345 Posts
    • 16,326 Thanks
    KeithP
    The issue date on the claim form is 20th March 2019.
    With a Claim Issue Date of 20th March, you had until Monday 8th April to do the Acknowledgement of Service.

Hopefully you did the AoS by that date. Please confirm.

If you have not yet done the AoS, then do it now - immediately - although you may already be too late.

To do the AoS, follow the guidance offered in a Dropbox link from post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread. About ten minutes work - no thinking required.

Having done the AoS, you have until 4pm on Tuesday 23rd April 2019 to file your Defence.

That's over a week away. Loads of time to produce a Defence, but don't leave it to the very last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as suggested here:
    1. Print your Defence.
    2. Sign it and date it.
    3. Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    4. Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    5. Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    6. Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defence received". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    7. Do not be surprised to receive an early copy of the Claimant's Directions Questionnaire, they are just trying to keep you under pressure.
    8. Wait for your DQ from the CCBC, or download one from the internet, and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
    Last edited by KeithP; 15-04-2019 at 5:38 PM.
    • BeadyRoller
    • By BeadyRoller 15th Apr 19, 5:58 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    BeadyRoller
    With a Claim Issue Date of 20th March, you had until Monday 8th April to do the Acknowledgement of Service.

If you have not yet done the AoS, then do it now - immediately - although you may already be too late.

To do the AoS, follow the guidance offered in a Dropbox link from post #2 of . About ten minutes work - no thinking required.

Having done the AoS, you have until 4pm on Tuesday 23rd April 2019 to file your Defence.

That's over a week away. Loads of time to produce a Defence, but don't leave it to the very last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as suggested here:
    1. Print your Defence.
    2. Sign it and date it.
    3. Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    4. Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    5. Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    6. Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defence received". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    7. Do not be surprised to receive an early copy of the Claimant's Directions Questionnaire, they are just trying to keep you under pressure.
    8. Wait for your DQ from the CCBC, or, and then re-read post #2 of to find out exactly what to do with it.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    I did do the AoS but I never received any confirmation by email or anything to let me know it was accepted and now cannot seem to log back in to my account on MCOL, it wont let me reset my password, it just keeps taking me back to the homepage, very frustrating. I have my ID but cannot for the life of me remember what password I put in.

How should I produce a Defence? I guess that's all in the sticky thread?

Thanks for your help.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Apr 19, 6:00 PM
    • 70,394 Posts
    • 82,988 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    What do I do next? I am at a loss now, do I just need to pay up
    No. The NEWBIES thread tells you what to do.

Guess what? If you'd come here when you got the PCN and sent the template appeal CEL would have cancelled the charge...

Now you are playing catch up, but it can be done. Please read the 2nd post of the sticky thread.

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • BeadyRoller
    • By BeadyRoller 15th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    BeadyRoller
    No. The NEWBIES thread tells you what to do.

Guess what? If you'd come here when you got the PCN and sent the template appeal CEL would have cancelled the charge...

Now you are playing catch up, but it can be done. Please read the 2nd post of the sticky thread.

Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Yep, wish I had done that now but what's done is done. Just hope I can get out of this mess.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Apr 19, 6:18 PM
    • 70,394 Posts
    • 82,988 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Done the AOS?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • BeadyRoller
    • By BeadyRoller 15th Apr 19, 6:26 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    BeadyRoller
    Done the AOS?
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad

I did do the AoS but I never received any confirmation by email or anything to let me know it was accepted and now cannot seem to log back in to my account on MCOL, it wont let me reset my password, it just keeps taking me back to the homepage, very frustrating. I have my ID but cannot for the life of me remember what password I put in.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Apr 19, 6:28 PM
    • 23,080 Posts
    • 36,668 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Phone the Northampton CCBC in the morning, the earlier you start (Office hours) the faster you might get through. Prepare yourself for a lengthy wait, it’s manic most times.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • BeadyRoller
    • By BeadyRoller 15th Apr 19, 6:46 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    BeadyRoller
    Phone the Northampton CCBC in the morning, the earlier you start (Office hours) the faster you might get through. Prepare yourself for a lengthy wait, itís manic most times.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    And say what exactly? Just explain my situation?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,211Posts Today

7,118Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin