Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • itayshap
    • By itayshap 15th Apr 19, 3:04 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    itayshap
    Pre-Application planning permission
    • 15th Apr 19, 3:04 PM
    Pre-Application planning permission 15th Apr 19 at 3:04 PM
    Hello,
    i'm planning a house conversion into flats in liverpool.
    the architect advise me to submit a pre-appilcation to the council.
    1. does the council decision to the pre-application have any statutory status? can i take the chance and start the renovation based on the pre-application decision knowing that the full planing permission will probably also be approved?
    2. the architect informed me that it takes around 4 weeks for a pre-application to process and can take even 12 weeks if there is high volume of work. does submitting it shortening the full planning permission process? if not, what is the sense in submitting it for simple projects? (planning permission takes around 8 weeks).
    thank you,
Page 1
    • babyblade41
    • By babyblade41 15th Apr 19, 3:10 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    babyblade41
    • 15th Apr 19, 3:10 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 3:10 PM
    It will still have to go to planning with the normal 8 week rule applied.

You have to give the opportunity for people to look at your plans and see what objections they may throw up.

Building regs will need to be sought as well.

All pre planning advice does is guide you in how best to submit your plans with a better chance of success and how to overcome any problems, but will still have to go through a full planning application .

My neighbour applied for pre planning advice but it was still refused even after appeal.

No building until everything is in place
    • anselld
    • By anselld 15th Apr 19, 3:57 PM
    • 6,217 Posts
    • 6,011 Thanks
    anselld
    • 15th Apr 19, 3:57 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 3:57 PM
    There is no point in pre-planning advice especially if you have an Architect drawing up the plans. They should know exactly what is likely to succeed.
    Last edited by anselld; 15-04-2019 at 5:20 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Apr 19, 4:07 PM
    • 21,796 Posts
    • 20,511 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:07 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:07 PM
    1. does the council decision to the pre-application have any statutory status?
    Originally posted by itayshap
    No.

can i take the chance and start the renovation based on the pre-application decision knowing that the full planing permission will probably also be approved?
    No. Well, you can - but you run the risk of having it turned down, or simply having them land on you for starting work without PP.

2. the architect informed me that it takes around 4 weeks for a pre-application to process and can take even 12 weeks if there is high volume of work. does submitting it shortening the full planning permission process?
    No.

if not, what is the sense in submitting it for simple projects?
    Simple. It's cheaper, so saves you wasting money on the full application if the answer comes back "You haven't got a hope."
    • babyblade41
    • By babyblade41 15th Apr 19, 4:30 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    babyblade41
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:30 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:30 PM
    No.

No. Well, you can - but you run the risk of having it turned down, or simply having them land on you for starting work without PP.

No.

Simple. It's cheaper, so saves you wasting money on the full application if the answer comes back "You haven't got a hope."
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Exactly what I was trying to say.. This answers your question exactly
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 15th Apr 19, 10:18 PM
    • 2,132 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:18 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:18 PM
    1. does the council decision to the pre-application have any statutory status? can i take the chance and start the renovation based on the pre-application decision knowing that the full planing permission will probably also be approved?

2. the architect informed me that it takes around 4 weeks for a pre-application to process and can take even 12 weeks if there is high volume of work. does submitting it shortening the full planning permission process? if not, what is the sense in submitting it for simple projects? (planning permission takes around 8 weeks).
    thank you,
    Originally posted by itayshap

1. No, its likely to be a gentle indication towards either yes or no. Potentially other issues might crop up during the course of a proper application.

2. I doubt it would be turned around any quicker, but I suspect if you iron out potential issues during pre application, the planning application will be less involved. In the absense of any other issues that could arise. In terms of benefits for smaller projects: I suppose somebody might be considering buying a property but wants an extension, this would get them a slightly quicker answer and would only need to provide rough sketches rather than spend a fortune on an architect. If its a no then they can decide not to proceed with the purchase without much expense wasted.
    Last edited by parking_question_chap; 15-04-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    • itayshap
    • By itayshap 16th Apr 19, 8:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    itayshap
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:46 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:46 PM
    thank you all for your replies!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

41Posts Today

1,069Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin