Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marit
    • By marit 15th Apr 19, 2:55 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    marit
    someone hit my car and left me his number
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:55 PM
    someone hit my car and left me his number 15th Apr 19 at 2:55 PM
    Someone hit my parked car while I was away and left his number on my windscreen.
    I txt him, he asked me how my car is but when I sent him the picture of the damage he said he is not sure it was his car as it's black and there's no sign of any crash on it.
    I told him that people from a shop advised that the card was left by the same person who hit my car but he's now ignoring my messages.
    What should I do?
    thanks
Page 1
    • Simonr66
    • By Simonr66 15th Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Simonr66
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    report too the police and your insurance company
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 15th Apr 19, 3:02 PM
    • 3,492 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 15th Apr 19, 3:02 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 3:02 PM
    Report it to the police and your insurance company. That's all you can do. Did any of the people from the shop provide anything useful, such as a registration?
    • marit
    • By marit 16th Apr 19, 9:07 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marit
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:07 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:07 AM
    Thanks, will do so
    • reeac
    • By reeac 16th Apr 19, 3:07 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    reeac
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:07 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:07 PM
    Someone hit my parked car while I was away and left his number on my windscreen.
    I txt him, he asked me how my car is but when I sent him the picture of the damage he said he is not sure it was his car as it's black and there's no sign of any crash on it.
    I told him that people from a shop advised that the card was left by the same person who hit my car but he's now ignoring my messages.
    What should I do?
    thanks
    Originally posted by marit
    He left his number on your windscreen but now says it couldn't have been his car? How would any observer in the shop have known his phone number?
    • marit
    • By marit 18th Apr 19, 7:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marit
    • 18th Apr 19, 7:33 PM
    • 18th Apr 19, 7:33 PM
    People from the shop saw this person hitting my car and leaving the card.
    When I found my car damaged, i didn't see the card and these people came out from the shop telling me what happened.
    I texted this person, at the beginning he admitted he hit my car and asked me to send pictures of the damage.
    after he said that probably it was his fault and asked me to clean that part of the car, i did it and sent him another picture, showing that the damage is still there after i cleaned it,
    at this point he didn't reply me anymore, i send him a text daily, he reads it and doesn't reply
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 18th Apr 19, 8:17 PM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 4,501 Thanks
    Marvel1
    • 18th Apr 19, 8:17 PM
    • 18th Apr 19, 8:17 PM
    Contact insurance company, you have the texts as evidence.

Curious why people are suggesting Police though.
    • marit
    • By marit 18th Apr 19, 8:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marit
    • 18th Apr 19, 8:39 PM
    • 18th Apr 19, 8:39 PM
    I wrote them an email and didn't get any reply.
    I will call them after the bank holiday.
    thanks!!!!
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th Apr 19, 8:40 PM
    • 3,492 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 18th Apr 19, 8:40 PM
    • 18th Apr 19, 8:40 PM

Originally posted by Marvel1
    Because the other party basically legged it without providing the details he's obliged to provide, i.e. name, address and car registration. He's left a phone number but from OP's account he's yet to provide those required details and is now uncontactable.

The texts are pretty useless on their own.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 19th Apr 19, 12:09 AM
    • 2,435 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    Nilrem
    Because the other party basically legged it without providing the details he's obliged to provide, i.e. name, address and car registration. He's left a phone number but from OP's account he's yet to provide those required details and is now uncontactable.

Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Worth hanging on to though, as if he has admitted in the early ones his insurance company will want to know.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 19th Apr 19, 3:20 AM
    • 2,479 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    Mercdriver

Originally posted by Marvel1
    Failure to report carries quite stiff penalties.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 19th Apr 19, 6:27 AM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 4,501 Thanks
    Marvel1

Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Fair enough, just thought phone number was ok, rather than leaving full address on windscreen, and adding their name and reg.

Failure to report carries quite stiff penalties.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver

I see, i was gettikg confused with getting the police to attend the scene when there are no injuries or causing an obstruction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,896Posts Today

7,304Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin