Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BumptyN
    • By BumptyN 15th Apr 19, 12:48 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BumptyN
    Advice for Children's Savings
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:48 PM
    Advice for Children's Savings 15th Apr 19 at 12:48 PM
    I just wondered what advice you might be able to give me for saving for my children.

I want to put 10 a month into an account for each of my children (2) plus any gifted money - they are only babies so dont need the money and also the child benefit money we receive each month.

One question I have is ... as per most situations the first child (who is 3) will have received more money during the years of being an only child from relatives etc then the second or subsequent children will.

I wonder whether we should have 1 account for all our children and when we deem them ready we split the pot equally - if this is a good idea how would you do this?

If you think this is a bad idea and each child should have their own account - which accounts would you recommend?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 15th Apr 19, 1:51 PM
    • 29,248 Posts
    • 17,761 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:51 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:51 PM
    It sounds as though your children do not have JISAs.

https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts

https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/consumer/product/savings/children/junior-cash-isa.html

wonder whether we should have 1 account for all our children and when we deem them ready we split the pot equally
    If the money was given to child A then it belongs to child A - it does not seem to me correct to give it to a brother or sister.

If you and your spouse wish to add money to subsequent children's individual accounts to even up the amounts then that is up to you.
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 15th Apr 19, 7:14 PM
    • 956 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:14 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:14 PM
    I just wondered what advice you might be able to give me for saving for my children.

I want to put 10 a month into an account for each of my children (2) plus any gifted money - they are only babies so dont need the money and also the child benefit money we receive each month.

One question I have is ... as per most situations the first child (who is 3) will have received more money during the years of being an only child from relatives etc then the second or subsequent children will.

I wonder whether we should have 1 account for all our children and when we deem them ready we split the pot equally - if this is a good idea how would you do this?

If you think this is a bad idea and each child should have their own account - which accounts would you recommend?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by BumptyN
    Children with a long horizon are those most at risk of being damaged by inflation.

For that reason, a caring patent would seriously consider investing the child's assets, rather than letting them evaluate away as low-interest, below-inflation bank deposits.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin