Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jaffacake2019
    • By jaffacake2019 15th Apr 19, 11:31 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jaffacake2019
    Can Matt Emulsion be painted over with Gloss ?
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:31 AM
    Can Matt Emulsion be painted over with Gloss ? 15th Apr 19 at 11:31 AM
    Hello
    I would like to know if Matt Emulsion can be painted over with Gloss paint ?

The Matt emulsion i have is white which has been painted 5 years ago
    Now, i want to use a combination of white gloss on one wall, green gloss on another wall and light-blue on another wall.

Basically, I have white matt emulsion on my concrete walls at the moment, can i just paint it over with gloss paint ?
Page 2
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 15th Apr 19, 5:17 PM
    • 3,417 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    Is anyone else confused as to why OPs living room interior walls are exposed concrete? Does OP live in a garage?
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 15th Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    • 36,456 Posts
    • 47,000 Thanks
    McKneff
    Ive been in my house 29 years, ive never washed my walls yet.

If they get a bit grubby in places, just whack another coat of matt emulsion on...
    Or my hubby does it, its actually easier than washing it...
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 16th Apr 19, 8:24 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    Kiran
    Is anyone else confused as to why OPs living room interior walls are exposed concrete? Does OP live in a garage?
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer

Yes, and its the only reason I keep clicking on this thread, I really do want to know. Is the OP banged up?

If and this is a VERY BIG IF, the wall are genuinely concrete then pliolite masonry paint is about as bullet proof as you can get and if its properly washable. If its on the outside of your house you can get wash it year after year.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Apr 19, 9:45 AM
    • 12,825 Posts
    • 9,597 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    The reason I was pushing him on this. So let's see, he has concrete walls, need to be able to wash them down, wants to paint them in lurid and different colours. My guess is an S&M dungeon
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Apr 19, 8:16 PM
    • 12,825 Posts
    • 9,597 Thanks
    neilmcl
    What else would it be made of it wasnt concrete? Certainly not wood. I think it's bricks and then plastered over
    Originally posted by jaffacake2019
    The clue is the name, plaster

I suggest you read up on the differences between concrete and plaster.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 16-04-2019 at 8:50 PM.
    • jaffacake2019
    • By jaffacake2019 16th Apr 19, 11:52 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jaffacake2019
    The walls are plastered
    • jaffacake2019
    • By jaffacake2019 17th Apr 19, 12:00 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jaffacake2019
    Ive been in my house 29 years, ive never washed my walls yet.

If they get a bit grubby in places, just whack another coat of matt emulsion on...
    Or my hubby does it, its actually easier than washing it...
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Really ? all the places i have read up on says before you paint walls you have to wash it first so thats what i did.

I once had a painter do my kitchen, he didnt clean or wash, just painted over the old paint. Most of it is okay but there are some places where the paint is peeling off.
    Last edited by jaffacake2019; 17-04-2019 at 9:37 AM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Apr 19, 7:19 AM
    • 12,825 Posts
    • 9,597 Thanks
    neilmcl
    The walls are plastered
    OK, so now you've agreed the walls are not concrete, I'll go back to my earlier post to say that all paint manufacturers produce easy cleaning emulsion paint, failing that you could try bathroom or kitchen paint. Do not use gloss.
    • jaffacake2019
    • By jaffacake2019 17th Apr 19, 9:15 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jaffacake2019
    Any good emulsion will be wipeable. Most makes do kitchen paint which is scrubbable.

Gloss on walls is so 1950s.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Last time I used matt emulsion, now i when i clean it, the water in the bucket turns milky white which means the paint is coming off with the sponge.
    • jaffacake2019
    • By jaffacake2019 17th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jaffacake2019
    OK, so now you've agreed the walls are not concrete, I'll go back to my earlier post to say that all paint manufacturers produce easy cleaning emulsion paint, failing that you could try bathroom or kitchen paint. Do not use gloss.
    Originally posted by neilmcl

Just out of curiosity would Satin be any good ?, maybe i can save some money as a tin of dulux easycare can cost 20 for 2.5 litres or 30 for 5 litres

I found a "Dulux Easycare Pure brilliant white Matt Emulsion paint 2.5L" at diy.com but i used matt emulsion on my wall before (the coating i have now) and when i wash the walls the water in the bucket turns milky white which means the paint is coming of with the sponge. This was the original reason why i wanted to avoid matt emulsion.
    Last edited by jaffacake2019; 17-04-2019 at 9:30 AM.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 17th Apr 19, 9:20 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    couriervanman
    Last time I used matt emulsion, now i when i clean it, the water in the bucket turns milky white which means the paint is coming off with the sponge.
    Because you've used cheap nasty bulk white emulsion.......spend e few quid more and get yourself some decent stuff
    • jaffacake2019
    • By jaffacake2019 17th Apr 19, 9:32 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jaffacake2019
    Because you've used cheap nasty bulk white emulsion.......spend e few quid more and get yourself some decent stuff
    Originally posted by couriervanman
    yeh, ok, i think good idea

(I bought 10 litres for 10 from my local DIY shop before)
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Apr 19, 9:52 AM
    • 12,825 Posts
    • 9,597 Thanks
    neilmcl
    A quick wipe with a damp cloth is usually all that's required, sounds like your soaking the walls unnecessarily so no wonder paint is coming off.
    • jaffacake2019
    • By jaffacake2019 17th Apr 19, 10:23 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jaffacake2019
    A quick wipe with a damp cloth is usually all that's required, sounds like your soaking the walls unnecessarily so no wonder paint is coming off.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I needed to scrub in places, and that means wetting the sponge more than twice.
    I have just scrubbed a small wall and although the dirt is gone it is stained. There is another wall which almost black, and it happens every winter sometimes i see water trickling down that wall (and no there no roof leak even though i live on the top floor).

So, that was the original reason why i wanted to avoid matt emulsion. Something that wouldn't make the walls dirty or it would be just easy to clean wipe. (matt emulsion isnt the cause but i wanted easy to wipe down)

The reason i say that is because i used to have some kind of paint in the kitchen (the place was built in the 50's) which was a bit shiny/glossy but water just ran down the walls or got wet from condensation but never made the walls dirty/grimy or turned it black. In the kitchen i never needed to wipe it down because the water would just then dry itself without any staining.

Now i'm thinking if kitchen paint or bathroom paint would be better
    Last edited by jaffacake2019; 17-04-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 17th Apr 19, 12:46 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    troffasky
    There is another wall which almost black, and it happens every winter sometimes i see water trickling down that wall (and no there no roof leak even though i live on the top floor).

That sounds like condensation. What colour was it before it was almost black? Is it an external wall? Does it feel particularly cold to the touch [might need to wait about 6 months to answer that one...]?
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 17th Apr 19, 3:07 PM
    • 3,417 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    You can get scrubbable emulsions. I’ve had good success with the Valspar premium range. Eggshell can be used on walls too for durability.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 17th Apr 19, 3:52 PM
    • 1,728 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    Grenage
    That sounds like condensation. What colour was it before it was almost black? Is it an external wall? Does it feel particularly cold to the touch [might need to wait about 6 months to answer that one...]?
    Originally posted by troffasky

Concrete dwellings are notorious for condensation; I'd be using a dehumidifier, increasing ventilation, or insulating to try and avoid the mould in the first place.
    • jaffacake2019
    • By jaffacake2019 17th Apr 19, 11:34 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jaffacake2019
    Originally posted by troffasky
    It was a white wall. It is an internal wall.
    • jaffacake2019
    • By jaffacake2019 17th Apr 19, 11:40 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jaffacake2019
    Concrete dwellings are notorious for condensation; I'd be using a dehumidifier, increasing ventilation, or insulating to try and avoid the mould in the first place.
    Originally posted by Grenage
    dehumidifier in every room would be expensive and cause more noise. The flat below used to use a dehumidifier but because of the noise they stopped using it.

Keeping the windows open in winter is a no no, very cold. If you turn the heating on then the room wont get warm all the heat will escape through the open window and you'll end up with a huge bill to pay for nothing.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 18th Apr 19, 8:07 AM
    • 1,728 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    Grenage
    dehumidifier in every room would be expensive and cause more noise. The flat below used to use a dehumidifier but because of the noise they stopped using it.

Keeping the windows open in winter is a no no, very cold. If you turn the heating on then the room wont get warm all the heat will escape through the open window and you'll end up with a huge bill to pay for nothing.

One dehumidifier should be sufficient; they don't have to be noisy. Positive pressure ventilation systems won't make your house as cold as opening windows.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,374Posts Today

4,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin