Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Apr 19, 10:47 AM
    • 7,205Posts
    • 42,802Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 15th April?
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:47 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 15th April? 15th Apr 19 at 10:47 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 1
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 15th Apr 19, 11:43 AM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 29,781 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:43 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:43 AM
    Good Afternoon everyone

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off today

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Back to school for the boy and back to some sort of routine for us, today's plans:

Gym/Rehab - Done
    Return library book - Done
    Check Bank & make PAD - Done
    RM Survey - Done
    Bake -
    Enter a few comps -
    Purge a few emails -
    Swagbucks -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner -
    Read another Library Book -

Have a great day!

C x
    Make £5 per day 2018 £1556.43/£1825.00 Make £5 per day Jan 19 £36.08/£155 Make £5 per day in Feb 19 £414.06/£140 Make £5 per day Mar 19 £60.55/£155 Make £5 per day in Apr 19 £134.42/£150
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 15th Apr 19, 12:04 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 10,413 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:04 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:04 PM
    Thanks for the new thread DNMS.
    ZIGGY, hope you're doing ok.
    I hope PF is having a lovely holiday.

Real life got in the way last week and its the first day of the kids school holidays here so I might not get to post much this week either

Todays list
    * ys crumpets for the ds's breakfasts
    * one of the ds's is doing a sports club for the next 3 days, so he's taken a packed lunch with him and a few treats so that he doesn't nag to take money to spend in the expensive tuck shop! Its not a cheap 3 days but its out and about getting lots of movement, fun and games so well worth it.
    * popped to aldee and hb to get a few bits to go with what we already had in to make meals and continue using up.
    * other ds is having a toasted sandwich for his lunch to use up some more bread out of the freezer for his lunch, with a portion of hm butternut squash soup
    * I'm using up a portion of brocoli soup (again from the freezer) with the last of a bag of crackers (all the broken bits that everyone else leaves!)
    * took some meat out of the freezer for cooking tomorrow and updated inventory
    * checked banking/updated spreadsheet & emailed it back to myself
    * washed a load on the quick 30 degree wash, it will have to dry on radiators though as the weather is bad (and so very cold here today!)
    * made packed lunches for dh & ds tomorrow (again using up various bits and pieces)

Still need to
    ** book gym class for tomorrow as I have childcare for ds for an hour if I want it
    ** prep salad for tonights meal, not feeling like a salad day but it won't keep so salad it is anyway!
    ** film tonight from stash with dh & the kids

Thats about it, take care al.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 15th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    Hi all and thanks for the new thread DNMS;
    I did a wash on the economy cycle and have hung it out - sunny and windy here.
    We are all back to RL here as hols are over and DD1 who works in a pre-school is back to work and DD2 is back at uni
    I will have all meals from stores today and hope for a NSD - only the 3rd one this month!
    Aiming for a frugal week until payday on Thursday - early because of the bank holiday - don't like early paydays as makes the following month a bit longer ....
    Deni x
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    CC1 = £5393.72/5776.28 CC2 = £3624.00/£3820.77

£2 savers club 33
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 15th Apr 19, 1:24 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 12,538 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:24 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:24 PM
    DNMS Thank you for starting this weeks thread

We were up and out early this morning to go to one of the local cities for a Home education event, same again tomorrow but a different theme. Both events have plenty of follow up resources available. All of it is free I just needed to supply children and our snacks

Todays list
    Attend free home education event
    Pack snacks for today
    Take hot drink out with me today
    Pack snacks for tomorrow
    Make bread
    Make porridge
    Check bank accounts
    Home educate children for free
    PAD
    PPL, etc
    Write shopping list, not sure when I'm going yet but it won't be good if I don't have a list.

Later we are going to a friend's new (to them house) to see if any of the carpets are suitable to replace our stair carpet. They are planning on replacing all the floor coverings.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 15th Apr 19, 1:25 PM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 16,422 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:25 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:25 PM
    Hi all,

RL has been mad and is still a bit. I am doing my best though!

Big hugs to ziggy and any other poorlies.

Hope to be back posting properly soon. I am reading along

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £8000
    Car final lump sum: £0/£6113
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 15th Apr 19, 1:27 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 12,538 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:27 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:27 PM
    Deni are you in a position to not touch the money for a few days to make next month easier?
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 15th Apr 19, 2:23 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:23 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:23 PM
    Hi all.
    A bit irregular with posts here. Must make more effort!
    Today
    Cancelled sky
    Checked banking to make sure have been paid.
    Have been paid so paid off good sums of debt
    Updated spreadsheet
    Aldi shop. Only came in at £39.
    Batch cooked chicken and chorizo jambalaya
    Cleaned kitchen with white vinegar.
    Chilling with cup of coffee before night shift. (Several more will be needed throughout the night).

Quite enough frugalness for today i think. Off to earn a crust.
    Have a good evening all
    Debts 18/4/2019 (LBM 5/3/2019)
    Overdraft: £900/£350 Barclaycard: £3755.55/£3420.88 Loan: £21620.29/£18005.91
    Total £26275.84 £21776.79
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 15th Apr 19, 4:43 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 12,538 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:43 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:43 PM
    Batch cooked chicken and chorizo jambalaya
    Originally posted by Pip Boy 111
    We plan on having this later in the week
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 15th Apr 19, 5:43 PM
    • 4,776 Posts
    • 26,637 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Monday Money Savers,
    Today's efforts:
    *Laundry dried for free in the sunshine.
    *Baby veggie plants checked for any pests/problems.
    *Tomorrow's packed lunch made.
    *Baked bread.
    *Baked scones.
    *Meal from freezer - I love that freezing extra portions makes a home made 'ready meal' for another time.
    *Cut some large twigs, found my box of Easter decs & put my Easter 'tree' up.
    *Finished a book that was lent to me. Now starting on a freebie.
    *Sorted out a bit of confusion about an invoice, which came to me for urgent payment when it should have gone somewhere else.
    *Plant swap with friend.
    *Checked maincrop potato chits.... They're doing amazingly. Hope it will mean a good crop later in the year.
    I need to do my mid-month budget check-in tomorrow, so it will be quite a frugally-focused day.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £60
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 15th Apr 19, 7:03 PM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 44,223 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Thanks for the start DNMS
    Today's small things:
    HG fruit from freezer for breakfast
    Washing out on line to dry in the (cold) wind
    Had to collect something from Morrison's - our nearest is several miles away, so I don't go there much. Did a small shop while there. If anyone has a branch nearby they have really good offers on what they call 'Easter' veg, any 3 for £1. I got a decent sized bag of potatoes, a head of broccoli and some leeks for my £1, but they had several others to choose from
    Checked banks, online surveys, RM survey stuff etc
    Dinner was more of what I cooked loads of yesterday (pot roast pheasant to be precise).

And that is about it, as I had to sort out my sales unit, and DD came round with the kids for several hours, and I was wiped out after that

DD did bring round a box of eggs though

Hoping to achieve a bit more tomorrow!
    NSDs for April: 10 / 15
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 15th Apr 19, 9:20 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Baileys Babe - I can try not to touch my bank balance for a few days... I am likely to be overdrawn though as ive had to pay out on some items for one of my part time jobs which I can claim back but I won't get for another month - and then I get my expenses paid by cheque so a trip to the bank will be needed! Also need to return a pair of jeans but won't get there till Friday. Had 2 new tyres a few weeks ago and DD2 is back at uni so had to send her back with a load of food and some cash.
    So as soon as my salary goes in some of it will pay off my overdraft But I should have a more frugal few weeks now DD2 back at uni Dx
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    CC1 = £5393.72/5776.28 CC2 = £3624.00/£3820.77

£2 savers club 33
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 15th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    Evening all

Today hasnt been brilliant, spent £5 in Mr T on salad bread and some other bits, done nothing except run about so not much housework got done, all meals from stores got no idea what to have for tea tomorrow...got a few different meals in just not sure what i fancy!!

Tomorrows plans:
    •all meals from stores
    • put washing in before i go to work so oh can get out and put on line (i forgot today and it went on a long cycle and in the dryer )
    •sort out some chocolates and goodies for dd to take with her on day out with oh whilst im at work not impressed with this though...me being at work and they are having fun
    •sw tomorrow so wont be a nsd but will be lsd
    •need petrol but oh is paying as i have done loads of running about this week
    • check through junk emails for freebies found a free donut voucher sat by doing this
    •housework as usual....its never ending

Hope everyone has a good evening
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 16th Apr 19, 8:09 AM
    • 7,205 Posts
    • 42,802 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Last day off for me - I've been off work for the last 3 weeks as haven't been very well. TBH not feeling the love about returning. Must find another job! Have a couple of positions I'm applying for. One of which I will start tonight....

Trying to keep things simple and achieve things than having a whole list and not getting things done:

* checked banking
    * clean out & organise fridge - it's a mess in there
    * get chicken breasts out of freezer for tea. Will have it with lo veg/potatoes from Sunday
    * prepare things for next 3 working days
    * sowing seeds, walking and games for entertainment with madam
    * take madam for a walk round the wildlife park with membership card
    * do a small shopping list and go to the sm later
    * folded a load of washing & hung out another
    * swept courtyard
    * unloaded the dw

Ok that'll do.... Happy Tuesday guys
    Last edited by determined new ms; 16-04-2019 at 9:40 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 16th Apr 19, 8:12 AM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 16,422 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

Work still 'marish but I wanted to get posting again

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores - have taken pizza dough for tea out the freezer. Jacket pot for lunch done in the s/c overnight
    • Charge phone in work
    • Gym at lunchtime - nope
    • Track food. This working now am focussing - done
    • No alcohol
    • Ask OH to peg washing out - done
    • OH to hopefully do housework
    • Check on greenhouse
    • OH doing an hour's teaching
    • Prep tomorrow's food
    • Submit expenses from last week - done
    • Watching some gym leggings on ebay - done
    • Check PMP - done

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 16-04-2019 at 1:04 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £8000
    Car final lump sum: £0/£6113
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 16th Apr 19, 9:05 AM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 44,223 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    DNMS, sorry to hear you haven't been well Hope the return to work goes ok, and good luck with the job search.
    Raining here atm, which has scuppered my plans to peg washing outside Hopefully it will clear up later! It did, and the washing will only need a turn on the airer overnight
    Today's plans:
    Strained and froze stock made from pheasant carcases cooked at weekend - Done
    Ring dentist - keep putting this off Done, I have an appointment for 2 May, which is fine, as my chipped tooth doesn't hurt at all. Won't be seeing my regular dentist, but I am sure whoever I see will be able to advise
    Pick and bake some rhubarb as there is some ready, and I have run out of frozen fruit now Done
    Thorough clean of dining room Done
    Move tomato and chilli plants from the dining table to the glass and perspex box at the back of the house which isn't really big or posh enough to call a conservatory! Done
    OH will push hoover round rest of downstairs Done
    Make a huge frittata to use some of the egg mountain - DD's hens and ducks are laying really well, and she keeps bringing them round We will have some of this for dinner, and the rest will do for lunches for a couple of days. Done, boiled up last 4 salad potatoes from the bag to include. Also used some wilty spring onions, a yellow pepper, some mushrooms and some spinach leaves from the garden
    Pick salad leaves and radishes to go with it Done
    Watering when the rain stops - this sounds daft, but plants growing in pots don't get enough water from light rain, and it has been a dry spring made worse by horrible cold drying winds - I can tell by the state of my hands I think the fruit trees could do with a can each as well, even though they are in raised beds rather than pots. Done
    Scrubbed out a red plastic container that had once contained sheep mineral feed supplement, that OH brought back from his recent trip. OH drilled holes, and it will be good for growing salad leaves, as it is a handy size and depth We used to get lots of freebies of this kind when we lived on the farm, but rarely do now, so was pleased to get it.
    Moved some containers around on the patio so that I could place the old garden table against the boundary wall, to use as a plant stand. I have ordered new garden furniture (nothing fancy as it is a small space, just a small table and two chairs) and it should arrive in the next few days. Our old wooden set is on its last legs, literally, in the case of the chairs
    Last edited by DawnW; 16-04-2019 at 6:56 PM.
    NSDs for April: 10 / 15
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 16th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 6,099 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    So far -

Have changed the EE router which apparently I needed in order to get the reduced-price broadband. It was meant to be 'plug and play' - and it actually was!! I'd been putting it off, and deliberately chose a day when it wouldn't be a total disaster if the broadband went down and stayed down. But it was a five minute job. Very pleased with myself, as 'techy' stuff was always something that the OH did. Turns out I can do it too!!

I emptied my in-tray, and found a letter with a cheque for the refund on my car tax, it's come through a lot quicker than I expected. It's only £32, but it's better than nothing. That's two weeks' worth of food shopping!!

Checked the bank account to see if the payment from WBAC.com has gone through - they said it would be anytime before 6pm today. It isn't there yet. As soon as it hits the account I'll be using it to pay off most of the outstanding loan (it's not car finance, just a personal loan that I took out to buy the car). It'll reduce the monthly payments from £252 down to £76, so I can't wait to make it happen!!

Currently on hold waiting to talk to the Council Tax people about my single person reduction. They owe me £32 and the letter tells me to visit their website and 'complete the appropriate refund form'. The appropriate form appears to be 'Claim a refund following a change to your circumstances', but when I click on it, it only applies to refunds if the property is vacated. Which mine isn't!!
    STOP PRESS!! Just got through, at long last. They can send the money back to my bank account. Champion. Job done.

Next I need to pop in to the place I volunteer. I was there yesterday, doing a cookery demo. I brought the tablecloths home to wash (we can do it there, but it's a bit of a faff and you either have to hang around waiting for the cycle to finish, or rely on someone else to take them out and dry them - less stressful to just do it at home, and also means I can iron them). I'd meant to buy cards and gifts while I was there (we get 20% discount in the shop), but I forgot. So - take the tablecloths back, buy the pressies etc, and get one card in the post. If I do it today, it can go 2nd class. Bought a book that my son will love, reduced from £25 down to £8, then a further 20% off!! I budget £10 per person per occasion for gifts, so that went well!! Another book for the daughter-in-law, £12 - 20%, so still under budget. And finally a gift hamper of biscuits for my parents - again under budget. Got the card posted - walked up to the post office, and also paid the refund cheque from the car tax in at the bank. I haven't posted the gifts as I'll be seeing my parents at the weekend, and I'll be seeing my son next week. It means daughter-in-law will have to wait for her gift, but I put a note in the card to say it would be a bit late so hopefully she won't mind!!

Weather still hasn't warmed up here. The forecast keeps telling us it will, by the weekend. My hand is metaphorically hovering over the central heating off switch, but it's still quite chilly here at the moment!

Rubber chicken day 3, so there's a big pot of stock bubbling away on the stove. I think that's my favourite part of having a chicken!! Pick over the bones to get every last bit of chicken off (will keep back enough for sandwiches tomorrow, and the rest will go in tonight's soup) - once the carcass is in the pot, I take great joy in scraping the plate, nothing wasted! Carrots and pearl barley will be the main ingredients in tonight's concoction (never the same twice).
    Last edited by trailingspouse; 16-04-2019 at 4:10 PM.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 16th Apr 19, 10:03 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 10,413 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Hi all,

Not a lot in the way of mse things going on as its holidays.

So far
    * one ds to sport club for the day - with his packed lunch which used up lots of veggies from the fridge
    * did a gym class, not my usual class as I couldn't get there in time but it was a nice change anyway and I refilled my water bottle whilst there
    * ys bread for toast for all our breakfasts this morning
    * written a small shopping list as I need a couple of bits for tomorrows packed lunches and to make my curry for tonight

Still to do
    * make lunches for tomorrow
    * put washing away off radiators (it was very cold here so they were on for an hour yesterday)
    * check banking/update spreadsheet
    * print amzon return label off for an item that broke after a couple of uses - print and post sooner rather then later so that i get the refund
    * post rm survey item after lunch
    * watch 2nd half of the film we started last night, ds was so tired after the sports club yesterday that he was starting to nod off!

Thats it I think, take care all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 16th Apr 19, 11:41 AM
    • 2,942 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hello my lovelies

Ziggy - hope you're feeling better soon.

Here's me:
    - Food from stores
    - Leftovers for lunch
    - Need to check banking/update YNAB
    - Might have a little mid afternoon snooze
    - OH is WFH so a little bit of petrol saved there
    - Used reusable cloth rather than disposable wipes! Bad habit recently.
    - Reading free ebook
    - Listening to free podcast
    - Got a call from my friendly bank - mortgage is coming up from renewal soon - rate is going to go up unfortunately as I got a sneaky 1.23% rate a couple of years ago but can't imagine the likes of that are still available (this is based on zero market research...)
    - Need to look at energy tariff as that is coming to an end
    - Need to find/print out form for Child Benefit so we're ready to go when LO gets here. Sounds like a palaver as then need to call to ask them to base it on my salary now on mat leave rather than last year although standard is to base it on last year's salary...Fingers crossed it is easy to sort.

Catch up soon everyone!
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 16th Apr 19, 12:00 PM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 29,781 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Afternoon everyone

DNMS - Good Luck with the job applications

Back to school for the boy and back to some sort of routine for us, today's plans:

Gym/Rehab - Done
    Check Bank & make PAD - Done
    Bake -
    Enter a few comps -
    Purge a few emails -
    Swagbucks -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner -
    Read another Library Book -

Have a great day!

C x
    Make £5 per day 2018 £1556.43/£1825.00 Make £5 per day Jan 19 £36.08/£155 Make £5 per day in Feb 19 £414.06/£140 Make £5 per day Mar 19 £60.55/£155 Make £5 per day in Apr 19 £134.42/£150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,486Posts Today

7,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin