Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • antony_l
    • By antony_l 15th Apr 19, 10:37 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    antony_l
    0 WOW
    Holiday Booked and Then Price Changed by Travel Agent
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:37 AM
    0 WOW
    Holiday Booked and Then Price Changed by Travel Agent 15th Apr 19 at 10:37 AM
    Hi,

Booked a holiday 6 days ago (about 5k) with a decent travel agent (ABTA/ATOL etc) for a holiday next year. Received the usual web confirmation/deposit payment receipt immediately (phase 1) on placing the order and then the full booking confirmation and final details a few days later (phase 2).

I have just been advised that there was a pricing error and the price has gone up 600.

In 'normal' consumer law I would be protected from such events - after receiving a confirmed order (phase 2 for sure - arguably at phase 1).

I am sure there will be terms in their terms of trade, to allow them to do what ever they like, but consumer law would take precedents. How do I stand?

If its deemed that a contract does not exist yet, when would it - it could mean that until we actually fly out the price could be changed?

Many thanks for any input.
Page 1
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 15th Apr 19, 10:47 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:47 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:47 AM
    Depends on the terms & conditions of the agent.

This is fairly common, and most agents will have clauses detailing that contracts are not final until they are ticketed (or similar). A booking confirmation is not a ticket.

If that's the case then there's not much you can do other than agreeing to the extra 600 or taking your money elsewhere!

Which agent is it?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Apr 19, 8:37 PM
    • 35,552 Posts
    • 21,734 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:37 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:37 PM
    Package holiday regulations should cover such a price change, full refund.
    • antony_l
    • By antony_l 15th Apr 19, 9:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    antony_l
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:07 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:07 PM
    Thanks for the replys, happy to share the Travel agent details later.

A refund has been offered, so that it not the problem, I want them to stick to the price.

Your would have thought that a confirmation booking invoice and deposit would amount to something.

So it sounds like there is no consumer law to help on this one and I am at the mercy on the companies terms of trade. Which as most travel agent terms appear to allow any price changes up until 30 days before the holiday I think.

I wish I could get away with this is my day job retailing sports equipment, sales of good act does not allow such practice.......
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 16th Apr 19, 6:50 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    cubegame
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:50 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:50 AM
    Just as a point of clarity.....there is no such thing as a decent travel agent.....even if their marketing suggests there is!
    • koalakoala
    • By koalakoala 16th Apr 19, 6:54 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    koalakoala
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:54 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:54 AM
    I don't think it's right either. if you agree a deal that should be it.
    Take a refund and look elsewhere
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,068Posts Today

7,436Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin