Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexGirl
    • By EssexGirl 15th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    • 918Posts
    • 1,392Thanks
    EssexGirl
    >20 year old garage conversion. Selling up.
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    >20 year old garage conversion. Selling up. 15th Apr 19 at 10:28 AM
    We have our house on the market. We bought the house in 2001 as a 3 bedroom house with "integral garage converted to separate reception room". Our son has used the "garage room" as his bedroom for the past 4 years.
    The estate agent is marketing it as a 4 bedroom house but has put this in the listing "Please note ** Property have not seen building regulations for the conversion of the garage"

We think this is hindering the chance of a sale, as it looks as if it's a dodgy build. We think it was converted around 1995. We don't have any documentation for this work. Would this now be liable for planning problems or problems with the sale?
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Apr 19, 10:29 AM
    • 21,875 Posts
    • 20,600 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:29 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:29 AM
    No. You can prove it's way outside the timescale for any enforcement against lack of PP or BR.

And, if it's that long ago, it's clearly not about to fall apart.

Whether that'll stop idiot potential buyers panicking is a different question...
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 10,898 Posts
    • 11,998 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    "Please note ** Property have not seen building regulations for the conversion of the garage"
    Originally posted by EssexGirl
    Have ** Property seen building regulations for the rest of the house?
    • EssexGirl
    • By EssexGirl 15th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 918 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    EssexGirl
    No. You can prove it's way outside the timescale for any enforcement against lack of PP or BR.

And, if it's that long ago, it's clearly not about to fall apart.

Whether that'll stop idiot potential buyers panicking is a different question...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Thanks Adrian. Do I have grounds to get them to take that bit about building regs off the listing then?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Apr 19, 10:34 AM
    • 21,875 Posts
    • 20,600 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:34 AM
    You can ask. But it's accurate - they haven't.
    • EssexGirl
    • By EssexGirl 15th Apr 19, 10:34 AM
    • 918 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    EssexGirl
    Have ** Property seen building regulations for the rest of the house?
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Now that's a good point!
    • EssexGirl
    • By EssexGirl 15th Apr 19, 10:35 AM
    • 918 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    EssexGirl
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:35 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:35 AM
    Accurate yes. But is it relevant after all this time?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Apr 19, 10:41 AM
    • 10,898 Posts
    • 11,998 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:41 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:41 AM
    Now that's a good point!
    People do tend to get overexcited about ancient alterations, while strangely uninterested in the only slightly more ancient original construction of the house! Certainly no need for the EA to flag up the conversion as potentially problematic.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 15th Apr 19, 10:53 AM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:53 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:53 AM
    how is the property priced in relation to other 4 bed homes in the area?

If you think advertising it as a 4 bed is what might put some people off have you thought about marketing it as a 3 bed with and additional room currently used as a bedroom...

and if so how does it compare with 3 bed houses in the area.

My guess is that you are falling somewhere between a 3 and 4 bed in reality but what you don't have is a garage...don't forget whilst a lot of people don't actually use a garage for a car its a useful space to have its just at the moment you have clearly defined the use of this area as a 4th bedroom.
    in S 17 T 5 F 13
    out S 18 T 8 F 19
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 15th Apr 19, 12:37 PM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    gingercordial
    Thanks Adrian. Do I have grounds to get them to take that bit about building regs off the listing then?
    They work for you. Tell them to take it off.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 15th Apr 19, 1:03 PM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 2,371 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    They work for you. Tell them to take it off.
    Originally posted by gingercordial
    there is another thread on here where someone is complaining BR was missing for an extension and the estate agents didn't spot it, so damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Hard to see how you can market it as a habitable space if you can't prove it, estate agents will know it is common for people to convert these so unless you can prove it is up to spec it should be priced accordingly (IMO). Same goes for loft spaces.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Apr 19, 1:12 PM
    • 10,898 Posts
    • 11,998 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Hard to see how you can market it as a habitable space if you can't prove it, estate agents will know it is common for people to convert these so unless you can prove it is up to spec it should be priced accordingly (IMO). Same goes for loft spaces.
    Originally posted by Ozzuk
    There's no need to "prove" anything for building works which are this historic - they're well beyond the timescale for any enforcement action, and if they were up to any sort of spec it would have been regulations long since superseded.

Like I said above, why not be equally (or more) concerned about not seeing building regulations for the house itself?
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 15th Apr 19, 1:32 PM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 2,371 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    There's no need to "prove" anything for building works which are this historic - they're well beyond the timescale for any enforcement action, and if they were up to any sort of spec it would have been regulations long since superseded.

Like I said above, why not be equally (or more) concerned about not seeing building regulations for the house itself?
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    I agree, mostly, but garage conversions that aren't done to any real spec are very common, so it is a fair assumption it might not be a habitable space, same as a loft conversion with no paperwork. However, for the majority of the house you'd assume all was fine.

I stand by my point, unless it is clear it is a good conversion (difficult to tell without a destructive inspection) then hard to sell it as a habitable room, just IMO of course and I'm not the one buying!
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 15th Apr 19, 3:57 PM
    • 5,856 Posts
    • 9,146 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    They probably suspect that is it going to come up on surveys.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 15th Apr 19, 4:21 PM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 2,766 Thanks
    Mistral001
    Estate agents will play it safe. Some would only call it a three bedroom house if it was clearly a garage converted into a bedroom. You could hunt around for an estate agent who will not mention the "problem" and classify it as a four-bedroom house, but I would not bet on getting one.

Garage conversions are rarely done to a high standard if they have not obtained building control approval. The walls of garages are usually not cavity and have no insulation or dampproof membrane in the floor. Also, because the door is closed off during a conversion the escape distances in case of fire have been increased.

I would consider getting retrospective Planning and Building Control Approval as the increased price you get will probably outweigh the costs of getting the approvals.

PS. Mortgage valuation surveyors will probably flag up the conversion to any mortgage providers so you might limit your market to cash buyers.
    Last edited by Mistral001; 15-04-2019 at 4:26 PM.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Apr 19, 4:30 PM
    • 11,752 Posts
    • 10,182 Thanks
    lincroft1710

I would consider getting retrospective Planning and Building Control Approval as the increased price you get will probably outweigh the costs of getting the approvals.
    Originally posted by Mistral001
    Problem being is that although .the conversion may have been up to Building Regs standards in force when it was carried out, it most probably won't meet current standards.

They could try for a Regularisation in regards to planning, but there is little point as the time during which lack of PP could be enforced has long, long passed.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 15th Apr 19, 4:58 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    pattypan4
    wait until the solicitors get onto the case, they ask for any and every bit of paper to do with anything that has changed. I was asked for paperwork from 6 years prior to moving in. That is when the stress well and truly starts and I would start saving for the indemnity insurances they have you buy
    • EssexGirl
    • By EssexGirl 15th Apr 19, 9:11 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    EssexGirl
    Looks like we are in for fun when we sell then! I'm hoping an indemnity insurance will go some way to sorting it out.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 16th Apr 19, 6:52 AM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 2,371 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    Looks like we are in for fun when we sell then! I'm hoping an indemnity insurance will go some way to sorting it out.
    I wouldn't worry too much, you paid for it as a 3 bed, it should be valued/viewed as a 3 bed so you aren't losing out.
    • MalcRH12
    • By MalcRH12 16th Apr 19, 7:05 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    MalcRH12
    If there is worry about the estate agents not removing the useless note about the garage conversion then why not go with an online one where you have more control over what goes in the ad and you pay significantly less commission. Yes I know there are cons to this approach but there are also cons to using traditional high street estate agents
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin