Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ness3765
    • By ness3765 15th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 8Thanks
    ness3765
    Should I transfer an old pension?
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    Should I transfer an old pension? 15th Apr 19 at 10:28 AM
    Many years ago I contracted out of SERPs and now have an old pension the current value is just over 12000 or 270 per annum. ( I have not paid into this for many years)

I now have a LGPS and as it has formed a new council I can transfer in any old pensions.

I am 55 in April 2020 and plan to take early retirement, so my question is would it be worth transferring this amount over just for the year?
    (Please ignore my ignorance as pensions totally confuse me)

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    • 97,994 Posts
    • 66,155 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    I am 55 in April 2020 and plan to take early retirement, so my question is would it be worth transferring this amount over just for the year?
    If it is better to do so then yes you should.
    If it is not better to do so then no you shouldnt.

As we dont have any info on the pension, we cannot offer any better answer than that.

As you are planning to take the LGPS pension early? It may be better to defer the LGPS for as long as possible (due to reduction for taking early) and use the other pension as a lump sum to give you as long as possible.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • ness3765
    • By ness3765 15th Apr 19, 1:26 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ness3765
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:26 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:26 PM
    'It may be better to defer the LGPS for as long as possible (due to reduction for taking early) and use the other pension as a lump sum to give you as long as possible.'

Thanks I hadnt considered this as a option
    • Dox
    • By Dox 15th Apr 19, 10:03 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    Dox
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:03 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:03 PM
    Have you asked the LGPS for a quote as to what they would give you if you did transfer it in?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

994Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin