Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 15th Apr 19, 5:07 AM
    • 3,377Posts
    • 47,368Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 15th April 2019
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:07 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 15th April 2019 15th Apr 19 at 5:07 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 15th April 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one, those that are poorly and those that are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Cold and frosty start to the day here, I have a wash load to peg out on the line, I'll do that in a mo.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and I'm showered, dressed and enjoying first cuppa and porridge whilst on here. DS2 is settled and ok.

Lunch yesterday was lovely roast pork, roasties, leeks in cheese sauce, carrots, broc and gravy. Dinner tonight will be scampi, chips and beans for the menfolk, I'll have baked fish and veg.

We've been to my bro and SIL's for the weekend and it was lovely - just the time passes too quickly. We went Friday night and then came back yesterday afternoon. SIL was director of the play so we went to see it on Saturday night which was the last night - great fun. Well acted I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed live theatre., was nice too as it's something different. We did a quick shop Saturday morning and then did a short walk early afternoon, but we weren't out long as there were things to get ready for Saturday night and it was bitterly cold although dry the wind chill was about freezing. Back to reality today, back to work. It's dad's birthday today so will go round to their's after work.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 15-04-2019 at 5:20 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 15th Apr 19, 5:26 AM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 53,224 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:26 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:26 AM
    Morning All

Thanks for the start nmlc, sounds like you enjoyed your weekend.

Took the tiles off in DDs downstairs bathroom, it's up to them now to get it all sorted, I expect I'll have to nudge them along! Got all the washing up to date, even ironed the curtains and put them back up.

I'm up early to go for a swim, it's been far too long since I've been, work for 4 days this week then it's off for the Easter weekend - not a bad job!

Hope all's well with you all, take care. XX
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 15th Apr 19, 5:43 AM
    • 791 Posts
    • 11,663 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:43 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:43 AM
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off nmlc, hope your Dad has a good birthday

Yesterday managed to get seeds planted in the garden.

Not much planned for today

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 15th Apr 19, 5:51 AM
    • 7,005 Posts
    • 98,510 Thanks
    redruby
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:51 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:51 AM
    Morning all

Seems very much colder here today its very grey looking but meant to brighten up later.

Easter egg hunt at work today so lots and lots of screaming kids running round I am so glad our caf! is closed to the public !!

My work friend is away this week so I have new staff members in every day who I have to train, its a bit frustrating as by the time you have explained something and they have got it off pat, there day is finished and you start again the next day with another new one !! Never mind its a short week this week.

Roast pork for dinner again tonight just needs reheating when I get in from work so nice and easy.

Need to have a quick tidy round tonight and put a wash on, got to pick dd up this morning and drop her at the station so need to leave home earlier than normal.

Right have good days all xx
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 15th Apr 19, 6:11 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 8,361 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:11 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:11 AM
    Good morning, and thanks for starting off NMLC, glad you've had a nice weekend, sounds lovely.

It's cold here, but fine and dry, so far anyway. It was bitter last night though.

Camelot you've worked hard over the weekend, hope you get some downtime.

SO, we were at work tidying the garden yesterday, our garden faces north, and in the winter is pretty bleak, though I've tried to plant appropriately. I don't plant spring bulbs in the garden, they get blown to bits and /or drowned. I find it better to plant bulbs in containers, keep them in the backyard all winter, then put them out the front when they flower.
    Hope your planting is successful anyway.

Not much on today, visiting a friend this morning, then the usual stuff round the house. I want to cut out a dress for the summer - hope I'm not being too optimistic here. I bought the fabric last year, but the time got away from me and didn't get it done.

I would like to go to The Wo*ks at some point this week as well - I'm making a wedding card for my great niece and want to look at their stamps. On Saturday I went to Hobbyc*ft, and got some nice card and paper because I want this to be special. I could have bought stamps there, but have changed my ideas and now know exactly what I want. I've been poring over mags and YouTube for a couple of weeks looking for ideas.

That's it really - thinking of AOD,Taff and Poppy, Ger's Mum, Snoozer's Steve, Holly, and Mr Gintot. Hope I haven't missed anyone. TA, hope you are all right.

Take care folks xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 15th Apr 19, 6:16 AM
    • 7,241 Posts
    • 49,359 Thanks
    Gers
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:16 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:16 AM
    Morning folks.

Cold, grey though dry here. I've had another night in my own home. Yesterday I drove down to Glasgow to visit DM and then drove home again. I've got a hospital appointment at 10am so it made more sense to be here. After the appointment I'm going back down the road.

DM was vastly improved when I saw her. Such a joy! She was sitting out of bed happily, was walking to the loo (with a frame and support) and able to read more. My hopes are raised.

I hope that everyone has a good day, especially those who are struggling. Happy Monday to all.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 15th Apr 19, 6:42 AM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 34,802 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:42 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:42 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. I have been MIA for a few days as I haven't felt very sociable. I was hit with a few things all at once which upset me and made me realise I am still not coping very well. I don't like feeling like this.

I am off over to the caravan this afternoon for a few days so maybe that will perk me up. DD is bringing "Margot" back at lunchtime for a dance rehearsal (they never end!) and then picking me up on the way back. I don't suppose it will be the peaceful site I have been used to now it's the Easter holidays.

DD has planned a few things for us. I am looking forward to Wednesday as we are off to Harlow Carr Gardens. She has annual membership so a free treat. Another day we are going to the Pancake House in Pateley but sadly that won't be a free treat!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely. GERS it's so nice to read your DM is improving with her hospital stay. Thinking of HOLLY, POPPY and TAFF living with unpleasant treatment. Take care all xx ps still no WIFI at the site so I will be back posting at the end of the week.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 15th Apr 19, 7:13 AM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 27,027 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:13 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:13 AM
    Good morning all, a cold and blowy start here.

I'm not having a great time at present due to circumstances that are out if my control which just shows you how much of a control freak I am. I don't feel the need to control other people just my general situation. It will get sorted out.

Sending best wishes to those who need them and to everyone really, thank you for the supportive posts
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 15th Apr 19, 7:36 AM
    • 791 Posts
    • 11,663 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:36 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 7:36 AM

SO, we were at work tidying the garden yesterday, our garden faces north, and in the winter is pretty bleak, though I've tried to plant appropriately. I don't plant spring bulbs in the garden, they get blown to bits and /or drowned. I find it better to plant bulbs in containers, keep them in the backyard all winter, then put them out the front when they flower.
    Hope your planting is successful anyway.
    Originally posted by ScarletRibbons
    Thank you
    I planted mainly veg seeds, carrots,beetroot etc. I put bricks around the edge and covered it with some poly carbon roofing from the old conservatory, so hopefully it will protect from birds, next doors cats and add warmth.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Apr 19, 8:12 AM
    • 9,912 Posts
    • 12,836 Thanks
    -taff
    Morning all! Sunny but still chilly here. Today I have a phone call to make, and a freecycle goodie to pick up [this one is also useful, a thing for the garden which will stop the pigeon poo from landing on our heads or the furniture when sitting outside on what I laughingly call the patio] and the OH is pleased with this aquisition.
    I may start sorting out some fabric, the thing is though, I see the house and it's contents, and sometimes, OK, maybe all the time, I just don't know where to start. Everything seems a bit overwhelming but I suppose if I don't do anything, nothing will get done. I've been inspired by reading about others decluttering experience, and no matter how small a thing I do, it will make a difference. I just have to put on my big girl pants, or bigger girls pants

SO, also inspiring, I will use you as a good example! TA, enjoy yourself, hugs for the other stuff. Nelski, hope your week goes quick and you find time to enjoy some cooking..camelot, enjoy your swim. Gers, take some vidoe on your phone if you can while shes up and about to shame her with when she comes home if she does nothing and have fun yourself too. SR, weird isn't it? The more time off you have, the less seems to get done, hope you get to cut out your dress...AOD, more hugs are the order of the day then...Yo Holly! Wotcha MIA people!

Meandering Monday!
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 15th Apr 19, 8:20 AM
    • 12,972 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    Nelski
    Good morning

Soooo cold here today roll on the change in weather this week

Change of plans today ...Was due to head to Welsh Wales to see a customer first thing then late afternoon Sunday she emails to say she is having to take rest days so wont be in this week at all After a good old rant to myself about the waste of money for the train ticket and the last minute plans I calmed down and found out you can get refunds on train tickets if booked with certain companies so I ended up just a tenner out of pocket. Could have been worse.

So its an empty diary Monday. Had a small lie in as I may as well and I am thinking of a trip to Costco for some loo roll stock....must dig out my shopping blinkers though to avoid the standard Costco temptations. At least I will get free coffee and cake

Food tonight will be black bean burger with salad and potatoes. It's the last one in the freezer but still on "mission freezer empty" so cant make any more yet. Made the rocky road yesterday so thats Easter choccy for mum sorted.

Hope you all have a great Monday
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    • 2,492 Posts
    • 20,968 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Mine was centred around date night on Saturday. My tram was delayed and my train was cancelled, which meant my journey actually took me 2.5 hours, not the best of starts. Anyway, (eventually) dinner was lovely and we went for some drinks after, which gave me the chance to get to know her better and I came to the conclusion that she is a lovely girl but I'm still unsure how attracted I am to her. It makes me sound so shallow, I'm aware of that and you may have been reading enough of my drivel to know I'm not, but I do maintain it's important. Am I best cutting ties sooner rather than later to avoid feelings growing and making it harder down the line? Or why throw away something which could be so good for the sake of aesthetics? I don't know. I need more time to think.

Back to work it is today. Yoga tonight, too, after I've been to the SM as I didn't get the chance over the weekend. Didn't manage a NSD so still stuck on 6.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 15th Apr 19, 8:48 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 23,965 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,
    Glad you enjoyed your weekend nmlc
    Nice to hear DM is so much better in herself Gers
    Hope you have a nice break TA & hope it does you good.It's still early days after losing DBob xx
    SR, I have so much fabric that needs using Hope you find the stamp you want.I have lots but not wedding ones & I tend to use die cuts more these days since I picked up a cutter on ebay. Having said that I haven't made any cards since xmas.
    AOD- hugs
    OL Sorry to hear about Black'un but good to know she's happy enough.

As I went up the road walking Ly1a this morning,there was a car on the bend half on the pavement so I walked round it as there was a young man sat on the wall & i like to have plenty of room with the beast . He asked me if I'd seen anyone park it last night as it was stolen.It was his mates and they'd been riding round to see if they could find it and someone was fetching the spare key but they didnt know if it was driveable,there was a bash on one side Judging from posts recently, it seems like car crime is is becoming a big problem on this side of town.
    I'll probably pop up the road to see old Auntie in an hour or so.
    Hope it's a good day for all of you xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 15th Apr 19, 9:50 AM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 13,844 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Morning all. Chilly here but lovely and sunny. John has gone to Chew Valley lake with a friend to do some gentle birdwatching. Washing machine and dishwasher on. House is relatively clean and tidy.

TA and AOD have a hug. Gers glad to hear Mum is livelier. Specky apply my knee wobble test. DH still has that effect on me after 45 years.

Well thinking of Holly, Poppy, Steve, taff, LW and Mr Wolf and anyone else who needs kind thoughts today. Have a god one folks.

Jane
    Last edited by Gintotmelinda; 15-04-2019 at 9:53 AM.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 15th Apr 19, 3:32 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 8,361 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    TA, you're coping wonderfully - there will be things that knock you back, it's early days yet.
    Please be kind to yourself

Gers, you sound upbeat today, I hope your Mum continues to improve.

OL, sorry to hear about your Blackun - as you say, it's heartbreaking to watch.

Rosyred, I would love a die cutter, they are very expensive though. Think I'll have a look on Ebay.

Speky, it's a difficult situation you're in, sorry I've got no advice
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 15th Apr 19, 4:48 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 17,745 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all, I'm a bit late today .
    I went to Al*is this morning for some f and v, milk, bread and got some Easter bits and bobs..
    Mr Fix It had been complaining of problems when trying to lift his head off the pillow and of dizziness on rising for a couple of days, so this afternoon he had a Dr's appointment. He has benign paroxysmal positional vertigo ( never heard of that before ) which is bad enough, but at least it's not what we thought it might be . He now has a spray and exercises to do while lying down .
    I have emptied the DW, refilled it and pressed "go". I'm so glad that we have one, when we have been entertaining the poor thing goes into overdrive !
    Nothing much has been done today on the OS-ing front, but I do have to put out the green waste bins and the recycling box later. I also have a cs bag to put out for tomorrow too.
    taff have you tried posting on the decluttering thread. It's a lot of like minded people struggling with "getting rid " and giving each other support and encouragement. I'm on there now and again but I never count the little things, like shampoo bottles etc.

Hugs are aplenty today for anyone who is under the weather either physically or mentally. Take care of yourselves.
    nan xx
    Last edited by nannywindow; 15-04-2019 at 4:49 PM. Reason: sorry for the big gap in text but I'm unable to rectify it.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • redruby
    • By redruby 15th Apr 19, 6:44 PM
    • 7,005 Posts
    • 98,510 Thanks
    redruby
    Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Mine was centred around date night on Saturday. My tram was delayed and my train was cancelled, which meant my journey actually took me 2.5 hours, not the best of starts. Anyway, (eventually) dinner was lovely and we went for some drinks after, which gave me the chance to get to know her better and I came to the conclusion that she is a lovely girl but I'm still unsure how attracted I am to her..
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead

Specky does your heart beat faster when you are going to meet her ? are you walking round with a silly grin on your face ? are you missing her when not with her ? it sounds to me like the answer to all these is a no ? you will know in your heart if she is the one and Im not getting the feeling you are that into her.

When I met my OH I had a stupid grin on my face for months, I could not bear being away from him and as much as he drives me mad sometimes I would never want to be without him.

Listen to your heart you know deep down what the answer is xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

987Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin