Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 7
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 16th Apr 19, 2:49 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    @lookstraightahead, I couldn't agree more. Plus the whataboutery of pointing out that some tenants are less than sensible is irrelevant and misleading. No sensible person denies that unreasonable and dodgy individuals exist among both landlords and tenants.

Pointing out "oh, but some tenants are unreasonable" when talking about revenge evictions is like pointing out "oh, but some landlords are unreasonable" when talking about missed rent: totally irrelevant and misleading.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 16th Apr 19, 2:49 PM
    • 32,229 Posts
    • 63,624 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    My point is that it needs running like a business so what a landlord might do "even in their own home" is irrelevant. It's far too subjective and frankly of no concern to the tenant what the owner does in their own home. If there is no heating in the winter at my place of work, an emergency electrician is called out to try and avoid people having (under health and safety legislation) to be sent home. This is how landlords should run their businesses - with business skills. On the other hand, there should also be adequate procedures to protect landlords. People rent out their houses without any knowledge of what they are doing.

I think landlords should hold a qualification in being a landlord if I'm honest.
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    I certainly think that LLs should at least find out about the laws and other rules of renting.

But then again, I think most decent LLs do.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 16th Apr 19, 3:06 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    But then again, I think most decent LLs do.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    What's the point of this post? What does it add to the discussion?

Well, that's part of the definition of "decent landlord", isn't it? The point is what to do about those who aren't "decent".

If all landlords and all tenants were "decent", there would be nothing to discuss about, wouldn't there?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Apr 19, 4:31 PM
    • 7,699 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    It going to certainly reduce the amount of properties that are for rent whilst a person decides what to do with them, eg you wont be able to rent a property out whilst perhaps living away for a few years due to a new job.

Maybe it will deter that band often called the reluctant landlord,although IMO theres nothing reluctant about what they do.

It will reduce housing stock and again probably put up rents as a result simply because of supply and demand.

It will take out a level of affordable housing that whilst may not be high quality is actually needing in the housing market for rental.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    How does this reduce housing stock? Basically the government are desperate for votes to head off Corbyn (and Farage) so they are going to steal some of Corbyn`s playbook and tax multiple property owners until the pips squeak. Whether you have it empty, tenanted, or use it occasionally you will pay more tax in one way or another, with the objective of getting people to sell into a falling market to FTB`ers or sitting tenants. The houses don`t disappear, it just hurts more financially to hog more than your share of them. Won`t help the Tories though, they are already burnt toast thrown in the garden.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Apr 19, 4:36 PM
    • 7,699 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Landlords don't determine mortgage lenders' deposit criteria.
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    Discussion going on over at HPC about how this could affect BTL lending criteria, although I am sure you have already read all this, if not actually contributed to it.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Apr 19, 1:30 PM
    • 7,699 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I blame Homes Under The Hammer for making people think BTL is a good thing for anyone.

Gotta love typos.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    It was good for bankers bonus pools, for a while, hence the reason it was so heavily promoted in the media.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 18th Apr 19, 1:42 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    phillw
    with the objective of getting people to sell into a falling market to FTB`ers or sitting tenants.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    If the market falls then builders will stop building until the price recovers.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Apr 19, 1:55 PM
    • 7,699 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    If the market falls then builders will stop building until the price recovers.
    Originally posted by phillw
    It`s too late, they have already built more than they can sell at silly prices, and that is before freedom of movement winds down. When speculative demand cools (and it is cooling now) we will see what real demand for housing looks like, and the price point at which the market starts to function properly again. The best thing to get house prices back down to where they need to be could be Farage and Corbyn fighting for the heart and soul of the country, really not something that HPI lovers will look forward to though?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

356Posts Today

5,315Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin