Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cbeauc1982
    • By Cbeauc1982 14th Apr 19, 9:14 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cbeauc1982
    Challenging Child Maintenence Service for 20% collection fees
    • 14th Apr 19, 9:14 PM
    Challenging Child Maintenence Service for 20% collection fees 14th Apr 19 at 9:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

I have recently challenged the Child Maintenance Service against arrears that I disagreed with as I have been paying my daughters mother directly for years.

I received a phone call out of the blue from the CMS one evening claiming I owed 6k in arrears and they wanted me to commit to paying 500 per month there and then. When I refused as they couldn't provide any evidence as this had been passed over from the now defunct Child Support Agency they set up a deduction of earnings order for 468 per month which my employee is obliged to honour.
    Not only has this caused me huge embarrassment with my employers I am now being plunged into financial difficulty while I fund an already wealthy lifestyle.
    On top of that as this collection process is called collect and pay they are charging me 20% on top of the alleged arrears.
    I am currently contesting this with the support of NACSA however what I want to challenge is the 20% they are charging for their collect and pay scheme.

Surely this isn't lawful.

I've done some research and no challenge has been brought to the CMS so they are quite content to carry on doing it. I suppose it mirrors that of the banks until they were forced to refund the charges, PPI etc.

Can anyone advise, or wish to support me, in bringing legal proceedings against the CMS to reclaim these charges and hopefully review their future practices?
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 14th Apr 19, 10:56 PM
    • 3,135 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:56 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:56 PM
    Unfortunately (for you) it is completely lawful.

Regulation 7 of the Child Support Fees Regulations 2014 sets out that the CMS can charge collection fees and sets the rate at 20%.

So, they are quite content to carry on charging it as the law says not only that they can, but that they have to.

The collection fee isn’t payable if you reach a direct payment agreement with the other parent (and obviously stick to it). If you do reach an agreement then I would recommend bank transfers rather than cash as it is easier to prove that you sent the payment.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 14th Apr 19, 11:04 PM
    • 17,136 Posts
    • 13,318 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 14th Apr 19, 11:04 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 11:04 PM
    Hi everyone,

I have recently challenged the Child Maintenance Service against arrears that I disagreed with as I have been paying my daughters mother directly for years.

I received a phone call out of the blue from the CMS one evening claiming I owed 6k in arrears and they wanted me to commit to paying 500 per month there and then. When I refused as they couldn't provide any evidence as this had been passed over from the now defunct Child Support Agency they set up a deduction of earnings order for 468 per month which my employee is obliged to honour.
    Not only has this caused me huge embarrassment with my employers I am now being plunged into financial difficulty while I fund an already wealthy lifestyle.
    On top of that as this collection process is called collect and pay they are charging me 20% on top of the alleged arrears.
    I am currently contesting this with the support of NACSA however what I want to challenge is the 20% they are charging for their collect and pay scheme.

Surely this isn't lawful.

I've done some research and no challenge has been brought to the CMS so they are quite content to carry on doing it. I suppose it mirrors that of the banks until they were forced to refund the charges, PPI etc.

Can anyone advise, or wish to support me, in bringing legal proceedings against the CMS to reclaim these charges and hopefully review their future practices?
    Originally posted by Cbeauc1982
    I'd be interested to hear the whole story.
    What's your definition of a wealthy lifestyle?
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 15th Apr 19, 11:05 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    wesleyad
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:05 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:05 AM
    Definitely not a consumer rights issue, would probably be best in the child support subsection of benefits and tax credits
    • soupy600
    • By soupy600 15th Apr 19, 11:19 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    soupy600
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:19 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:19 AM
    You said you've been paying for years so can you not just prove that to them? bank statements etc?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 15th Apr 19, 11:30 AM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 4,691 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:30 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:30 AM
    You said you've been paying for years so can you not just prove that to them? bank statements etc?
    Originally posted by soupy600
    I infer that OP hasn't been paying the correct amount and has amassed arrears on top of what he's been paying.
    • jweb2k
    • By jweb2k 15th Apr 19, 9:27 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    jweb2k
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:27 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:27 PM
    I infer that OP hasn't been paying the correct amount and has amassed arrears on top of what he's been paying.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    The "correct amount" is surely what has been agreed upon by both parties. There is no arrears on top of this.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 15th Apr 19, 9:47 PM
    • 4,265 Posts
    • 11,335 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:47 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:47 PM
    The "correct amount" is surely what has been agreed upon by both parties. There is no arrears on top of this.
    Originally posted by jweb2k
    For "correct amount" perhaps interpret as "minimum amount". The State clearly believes that there is a minimum contribution payable, dependent on earnings and personal circumstances - they even have an easy, accessible calculator in order to establish the amount due.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

978Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin