Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alleiapwi
    • By alleiapwi 14th Apr 19, 7:36 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    alleiapwi
    Neighbour using washing line without permission
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:36 PM
    Neighbour using washing line without permission 14th Apr 19 at 7:36 PM
    Hi all,

This may be a stupid question with a simple answer, but I've yet to come across an exact scenario that matches ours.

My husband and I rent a mid-terraced house. Out our back door is an access path which is kept clear. Beyond that is a garden with a fence and gate.

Earlier today we found that our neighbour to our right hung their full bed linen out on our washing lines. There is no access to our garden through theirs, and no reason they should be in our garden. We have never spoken to them, and certainly not given permission to use our washing line or access our garden. Our gate currently has a bolt, but no lock.

It is possible that the owners of the house to our right owns the boundary fence between the two gardens. I understand that if the neighbours own the boundary fence, and need access to repair the fence, we would need to give it, but surely that doesn't prevent us from putting up a lock? They can ask if they need to get in for repairs. I can't imagine they could come and go as they please traipsing in and out of our garden at will.

Question: As our garden does not provide access to anything like a boiler, etc. are we legally OK to put up a padlock on our gate?

I am concerned that if our neighbour continues to use our garden without our permission, and if he were to be hurt, we would have to deal with that, or our landlord would, although he was trespassing.

Thanks!

Edit: As was rightly pointed out, we have never spoken with this neighbour and that is the ideal situation before proceeding. We have not had the opportunity because we have not seen them outside their house yet. My husband and I are also not comfortable in doing so, as there have been incidents of aggressive behaviour that we have heard between our shared wall. I realise this may be a lot of assumption on our part, but we are concerned about approaching him, even in a friendly way.
    Last edited by alleiapwi; 14-04-2019 at 7:53 PM.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Apr 19, 7:38 PM
    • 18,812 Posts
    • 47,715 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:38 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:38 PM
    If you've never spoken to them, do you not think now would be a good time to do so before you do anything else?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • alleiapwi
    • By alleiapwi 14th Apr 19, 7:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alleiapwi
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:48 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:48 PM
    My husband and I did discuss that, but we are not comfortable speaking with this neighbour. It is a possibility though.

Since they moved in back in November, there have been numerous incidents that we could hear between our shared walls, and incidents of this particular neighbour being aggressive and shouting. We are concerned about approaching him, even in a friendly way. We have also never had the opportunity as we have never seen them outside of the house.

All options are open, just trying to find the best way to handle this.
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 14th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 7,097 Posts
    • 93,191 Thanks
    Sarahdol75
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    I wonder if the owners of the house before you let them use the washing line if it wasnt being used.

My mums neighbours use each others if they are not being used, they have an understanding with each other and its never been a problem.

Perhaps just mention it to them, that your not happy with it, they might just presume it would be ok. Some people are a bit like that.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    • 11,841 Posts
    • 31,878 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    Just knock on the door and say to the neighbour, if they weren't aware, that its your private garden and private lines and you don't want them either in your garden nor using your lines

I had the same in the past, a family moved in to the stand alone house attached to our block, who thought that they could use the blocks shared facilities - parking spaces, lines and bins. A knock on the door and a polite chat solved the issue
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 14th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 3,433 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    I unintentionally used a neighbours line as I had been told by my landlord that I had use of it. It turned out he was wrong. Are you sure it is your line and yours only? Would your neighbour think it was theirs took. The only way you will find out is ask. Go round and talk to them, don't be so wet.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Apr 19, 8:04 PM
    • 35,517 Posts
    • 21,715 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:04 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:04 PM
    Check you don't have one of those crazy offset garden situations.

Simple solution change the line to one that can be taken down when not in use(hook and eye).
    • boliston
    • By boliston 14th Apr 19, 8:13 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 2,437 Thanks
    boliston
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:13 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:13 PM
    unless i was using the line i would not be overly bothered as it is better than them using a tumble dryer if they don't have their own line - it's not like they let their noisy kids play in your garden
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Apr 19, 8:18 PM
    • 18,812 Posts
    • 47,715 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:18 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:18 PM
    I misread the details in your first post and I think my house is set up like yours - backyard, access path then separate garden. Nothing to stop you locking the gate if you want to.
    I wouldn't want the neighbours wandering in and out at will. Particularly if they e not bothered to talk to me.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 14th Apr 19, 11:03 PM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 2,766 Thanks
    Mistral001
    Why are they not hanging their washing in their own garden?
    • greenface
    • By greenface 15th Apr 19, 6:11 AM
    • 4,728 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    greenface
    Hi all,

This may be a stupid question with a simple answer, but I've yet to come across an exact scenario that matches ours.

My husband and I rent a mid-terraced house. Out our back door is an access path which is kept clear. Beyond that is a garden with a fence and gate.

Earlier today we found that our neighbour to our right hung their full bed linen out on our washing lines. There is no access to our garden through theirs, and no reason they should be in our garden. We have never spoken to them, and certainly not given permission to use our washing line or access our garden. Our gate currently HAS A BOLT BUT NO LOCK
    Originally posted by alleiapwi
    Then tell them your landlord told you to put one on
    hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world
    • _shel
    • By _shel 15th Apr 19, 6:13 AM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    _shel
    Take it down, put in a bin bag or basket and take it back to them. Needs a discussion they obviously think it's ok.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th Apr 19, 7:24 AM
    • 12,834 Posts
    • 9,614 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Put a sign on the gate saying this isn't a communal garden.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 15th Apr 19, 6:40 PM
    • 7,875 Posts
    • 53,174 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Not entirely sure how you know it's their washing, but if it's your garden just put a padlock on the gate.

Perhaps the previous tenants never used the garden, or they'd been using the line between tenancies. Regardless, if it's listed as your garden then you don't need to explain anything to anyone.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

994Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin