Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 14th Apr 19, 6:32 PM
    • 21,025Posts
    • 238,117Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 15th April 2019
    • 14th Apr 19, 6:32 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 15th April 2019 14th Apr 19 at 6:32 PM
    Welcome to the Weekly Flylady Thread

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ Nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ Person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ Miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

OK - here goes this week...

Manic Monday - Kitchen Kapers/Dining Room

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
    Replace what lives there, wiping as you go
    Empty bin and clean it out too
    Wipe sill, sockets, door handles and switches
    Clear and clean sink and accessories - don't forget those out-of-sight places - under plugs and under draining racks
    Clean/polish table - wipe mats/change cloth
    Check fruit and wash bowl
    Throw away your manky dish cloth and replace with a new one!

Level 2

Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, not forgetting handles and tops and bottom as well as fronts!
    Clean hob - thoroughly. Wash all detachable parts too.
    Sort fridge and wipe seals; weave stuff that needs using up into your meal plan
    Dust dining area/room

Level 3

Clean oven
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor
    Wipe out or wash out whiffy bins
    Clean windows

extras

MAD half hour call one or join one
    If there's an area you need to work on/clear use your mad HalF Hour to do something towards your ultimate goal
    HHI
    S&S bathroom
    Easter hols for some - make some time for yourself

Tuesday Twinkles - Brighten that bathroom

Level 1

Fling open the windows
    Clear the bins, remove empties
    Flush the loo and squirt something down it to start the cleaning process
    Fling the towels in the WM
    Vacuum extractor cover and/or wipe
    Clean windows and mirrors
    Top up loo roll holder
    Wash/bleach pull cords - remove and soak!

Level 2

Clear lotions and potions from around bath and scrub inside and out.
    Prod a brush down the plughole to remove the ratty tails
    Polish the taps
    Slug of bleach down the drain
    Scrub the loo inside and out - and bleach it
    Thoroughly clean bath taps and plugs - especially hair traps
    Wipe shower head

Level 3

Scrub the sink
    Polish the taps
    Dust sills and shelves
    Wipe anywhere fingers linger with a clean cloth or an anti-bac wipe
    Mop the floor
    Polish mirrors
    Wash loo brush and let it dry outside in the sun, thus benefiting from the bleaching effect of the sun!

Extras

HHI
    S&S kitchen
    Sort out make up bag/box. Chuck anything that's been hanging around too long/you're not using and wipe what you're keeping and wash brushes and sponges
    Double up on a recipe in your meal plan and freeze so that you can have a day off over Easter

Wednesday Hump Day - Lounge

Level 1

Open the window w-i-d-e even if only for five minutes
    Empty the bin
    Give the sofas and seats the once over - leather wipe or a just-damp cloth to move any marks
    Lift and swap cushions and seat pads - vacuum underneath before replacing any; don't forget crevices and backs
    Rinse and squeeze out the cloth and wipe sockets, switches and door handles
    Ensure electricals are clean - and wipe those remote controllers, too

Level 2

Make sure coffee tables etc are cleared and cleaned and polished before replacing stuff neatly
    Wipe any coasters
    Dust all surfaces - don't forget the skirting boards
    Give light fittings a dust, too
    Check ceilings, covings etc for cobwebs
    Deal with plants/flowers

Level 3

Vacuum the floor moving as much furniture as possible - don't forget the edges
    Polish the windows - and the TV screen - and mirrors
    Plump up cushions
    Make sure that nothing is in here which doesn't live here

Extras

HHI
    MAD half hour - Toots list?
    S&S in the kitchen and bathroom
    Join in an HHC - or call one!

Thursday - final full flying day this week

Level 1

Open the window
    Strip the bed
    Fling the sheets etc in the washbasket/machine - should be a good drying day!
    Go and get your breakfast

Level 2

Dust the headboard or vacuum as appropriate
    remake the bed
    Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe or any other clutter
    Dust all horizontal surfaces - vertical too, if you have time
    Polish any mirrors

Level Three

Clean the windows
    Vacuum the floor
    Make sure bedside cabinets are clear of clutter - both on them and in them
    Use a damp cloth to wipe those lotion and potion bottles.

Extras

HHI

S&S bathroom
    S&S kitchen

Good Friday

s&S kitchen
    S&s bathroom
    Dailies
    Last edited by Valli; 19-04-2019 at 5:26 AM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 2
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 16th Apr 19, 6:14 AM
    • 5,090 Posts
    • 58,120 Thanks
    Jazee
    Thanks for the list and enjoy your new car Valli.

Morning everyone, I'm in. Yesterday was a full day at the paid stuff but I did get the bedding changed.

Today I'm only working a half day so this morning i need to catch up on dailies, go to the tip and collect something (not from the tip).

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 Apr £120.62 Total 2019 - £1344.19/£5k
    Keep Moving Challenge - walked 203 miles
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 16th Apr 19, 6:26 AM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 11,132 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Full day teaching for me today.

Dw filled
    Wm filled and timer set to be ready for when I get home.
    Small up and dressed.

Tonight:
    Food shop (hopefully get this done between end of teaching & picking Pickle up from Childminder)
    Cleaner proof the house
    Hand up wet washing
    Sort stuff for work day tomorrow.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100 Dec: 28/100
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #59: 0/£2860
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 16th Apr 19, 6:46 AM
    • 798 Posts
    • 10,917 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Morning

I'm here Cheering you all on from the sidelines - waving a duster so at least I look like a flylady

Minimum flying will be done until Friday - I'm banjaxed. Fell asleep in the chair last night missing chunks of Endeavour - so the ending didn't make a lot of sense! Sum total of flying was make bed, feed birds, prepare & cook piri piri chicken for DS's tea and ermmmm that was it.

Bed is made. Seed is ready to take out to the birds. I'll change Sweetie's seed and water before I go to the paid stuff.

Hugs to all
    Rxx
    • noendinsight
    • By noendinsight 16th Apr 19, 7:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    noendinsight
    Hi,
    I quite surprised myself yesterday and managed to get level 1 done in the kitchen
    The utility looks presentable (spend quite a lot of time attacking the washing mountain) and I found the conservatory floor for the first time since Christmas!
    I'm taking DD2 & her friend out today so won't be able to get in the bathroom until later this afternoon - not looking forward to it.
    Lou x
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 16th Apr 19, 8:12 AM
    • 991 Posts
    • 11,542 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning
    Welcome noendinsight

It was a full day at work yesterday. I think flying might have consisted of filling up the fruit bowl and little else. I had a rubbish nightís sleep last night, consequently I was sound asleep at 7am and am still drinking my first cuppa.

Today I am going to follow the lists ŗ la Fayolle and try really hard not to get distracted by the greenhouse. Itís not like Iím successfully growing a ton of stuff, but I do like to go and check that a leaf hasnít appeared since the last check.

So far - recycling out for collection, a load of towels in the wm, no ironing pile - hurrah. DW to empty next, then Iíll see where I get on the lists.

Have a good day all.

ETA - dancemum, I suspect that Kaz has sent you some sound advice. I hope you have some success.
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 16th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 5,577 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    The utility room is my one room that needs sorting noendinsight. It's a dumping ground for things to go into the garage. I told myself I was going to sort it yesterday but I procrastinated instead.

S&S bathrooms. 1xWM 1XDW 10 minutes in the utility room.
    kitchen floor, downstairs wc and hall floors washed.
    Last edited by shirlgirl2004; 16-04-2019 at 3:31 PM.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 16th Apr 19, 9:37 AM
    • 21,025 Posts
    • 238,117 Thanks
    Valli
    Old car taken to mechanic. Had sense to pick up a cheque a need to bank so when I walked up to town for the bus I nipped into the bank - and the new Iceland - DS will enjoy the free gift - chocolate twists. Probably made by DD's company!

Had prepped and switched on SC before I left for my favourite - campfire stew.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 16th Apr 19, 11:46 AM
    • 991 Posts
    • 11,542 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Most of the necessary bits of yesterday and todayís lists done, so pretty pleased with that progress. Iíve ignored the bits that I didnít like the sound of.
    I also ventured into the utility room to see if I could unearth the draining board from crud so that I could make some attempt at cleaning the room. 4 mismatched pasta bowls, 2 metal water bottles, 2 half burned candles and a coffee storage jar with no seal that Iíve been trying to fix for a year or more have been flung to appropriate places.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 16th Apr 19, 12:35 PM
    • 10,462 Posts
    • 127,538 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Daily stuff done
    Volunteering done for 22.5 hours
    Had something to eat.

Off to figure out what to do this afternoon off my loooooooooooong list
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 21 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 16th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 55,183 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Sorry about DD's car, Valli.

(((Hugs))) Dancemum. I can't offer any help other than to say that you know your DP's situation better than any of the people looking after him in hospital, and if they aren't given relevant information, they can't set up a proper careplan.

New-to-me dog has spent the last 24 hours racing downstairs to the lodger's room at every opportunity to whine and scrape at his door frantically. She doesn't want to follow me back upstairs, I don't believe in dragging them on the lead, shakes with fear when I carry her up, and then races back down at the earliest opportunity. It's the only room in the house she hasn't been allowed in since she arrived, (he's a dog lover but slightly allergic) and I'm now convinced she's spent years trying to find the litters of puppies that have been repeatedly removed. In the end a bit of sun bathing on the sundeck with OH and the kittens in attendance calmed her down completely, at long last.

While she was carrying on I washed her blankets and hung them out, cleared out the fridge, cleared the washing up again (second time today), prepped dinner, vinegar'd a travel kettle that hasn't been used for a decade or more that I'll need at the end of the month, vacuummed the worst bit of the house, tidied around some hotspots, and topped up bird buckets and cat biscuits. More to do to get this house back into a reasonable shape; there's gibble everywhere.

I am a slattern.
    Keeping it AF
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 16th Apr 19, 1:59 PM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 55,183 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Powers of Attorneys
    Dancemum, I got the paperwork to do our Powers of Attorney 15 years ago and really struggled, binned it all when I realised it was completely out of date while reading MSE Martin's guidance on here and then read this thread:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3671735&highlight=lpa
    from start to finish, making notes as I went. It was absolutely brilliant.

I then filled them both in online for myself and OH, and got them signed by everybody in the right order. To begin with it seems pretty daunting, but actually, once you've filled in the easy bits on line (name, address, date of birth, name and address of the person/people you want to give the power of attorney to, and someone who can vouch for the donor that they're compos mentis (a certificate provider), you're pretty much home and dry. You can take a whole year to fill them in on line, so I'd thoroughly recommend using the government's system.

When the whole thing is done and dusted you send it off to register it if you think it might be needed at short notice at any point (OH and I can't trust our next of kins so we both had to do this), and then make lots of copies to give to each attorney, the bank, the GP's surgery etc and then file them away for when they're needed. I got the photocopies done at the library.

I had a stamp made because each copy page has to have a sentence written on the copies and a signature, and as we had rather a lot of pages and copies between us. It was a buy one get one free offer for the stamp, so if you get to the point that it would be useful, let me know and I can bung the spare one in the post to you.

Alternatively, some councils have a free certification service, but I imagine you have to pay for the copies to be made, or there may now be a nominal charge in some area. If you've got any questions and I can help I'd obviously be very happy to.

The reason I did them myself was because I'd read the MSE guidance, thought it was too complicated for me to understand, went to see a firm who does LPAs and asked a lot of questions and one of the answers I was given didn't make sense. Got home, looked it up and he was completely wrong. At that point I realised I could save us 2 x £180 as long as I took my time over it.
    Keeping it AF
    • Valli
    • By Valli 16th Apr 19, 8:24 PM
    • 21,025 Posts
    • 238,117 Thanks
    Valli
    valli's list

Tuesday am

take old car to Andy to be looked at

Wednesday am

take new car to Tim for (minor) snagging
    go to food tasting 1:30

BUY SOME CAR INSURANCE
    sell/scrap old car
    sorn/transfer old car
    claim tax back on old

Do Monday's list and Tuesday's list and Wednesdays list

Contact plumber re taps
    Last edited by Valli; 16-04-2019 at 8:29 PM.
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 16th Apr 19, 9:28 PM
    • 2,172 Posts
    • 31,400 Thanks
    dancemum
    Honey Bear Thanks x

Just dailies done today
    Picked up DS2 new trousers 2/3 fit so need to return 1 pair
    Visited pet place for cat food and bird seed ( we have started feeding as Miss Muddy Paws seems to have lost her killing skills, we have still positioned feeder out of her reach). We have so far Mr & Mrs Blackbird, Wood pigeons called Ed, Ed, Eddy and friend, great tits, long tail tits, chaffinchs, and I think a goldfinch.

Tomorrow
    I need to get petrol
    DS2 wants help with maths revision
    Ds1 is visiting and going to see dancepops whilst we are in the meeting. DPs thinks he has visited a few times
    My eldest sister is being dropped off here at noon
    DH has to leave work at noon
    Last edited by dancemum; 16-04-2019 at 9:34 PM.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 17th Apr 19, 6:12 AM
    • 991 Posts
    • 11,542 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Good morning everyone
    Work day again then thatís it until next Wednesday.
    DD has been at home for 1.5 weeks and now remembers that she really needs to get Important Stuff for her art exam.
    Dancemum - like HB, DH and I both followed the gov.uk online process and it was fine. Unlike HB, I didnít have the intelligence to get a stamp made to certify the copies, so last week spent my evenings writing the same sentence over and over again on every page. As we will have to do ourís again sometime when DD is over 18, I will certainly bear that in mind.
    In danger of running late and I want to dash to the market on my way in

Have a lovely day all.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Apr 19, 6:22 AM
    • 5,090 Posts
    • 58,120 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning everyone.

I'm now off work till next Wednesday. Today includes a visit to the vet for Littleydog and then whatever else I can be bothered to do.

I'm ahead on the list as I dusted the Lr yesterday.

Have a great day everyone.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 17th Apr 19, 8:11 AM
    • 21,025 Posts
    • 238,117 Thanks
    Valli
    Errand done...Coffee being slurped - then I'll make a start on the week.
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Goodintentions
    • By Goodintentions 17th Apr 19, 8:15 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 17,266 Thanks
    Goodintentions
    Good morning

I am late in this week! I don't suppose i will get much done today as I am working and have a houseful of lively children intent on playing with every toy I own!

Jobs I aim to get done today:
    Sweep up dead woodlice I sprayed yesterday, and it seems to have worked!
    Put on 1 load of washing
    Pick up toys at the end of the day!!
    Collapse in a heap.....

Have a good day everyone! Welcome to newbies, Hugs to those that need them
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 17th Apr 19, 8:50 AM
    • 10,462 Posts
    • 127,538 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Walking done 11K already for today.

Doing some admin type stuff

Hoovering downstairs done

Might cut the grass later if it dries out as it rain here for most of yesterday afternoon / evening.

MrsMP I hope you are ok xx
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 21 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Apr 19, 9:05 AM
    • 5,090 Posts
    • 58,120 Thanks
    Jazee
    Wow Kaz, lots of walking.

So far, dogs walked, recycling out, bed made and paperwork done. Just having a cuppa and then we're off to the vet.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 17th Apr 19, 10:34 AM
    • 36,975 Posts
    • 475,592 Thanks
    pigpen
    DW on, Washing out, parcel and 2 letters posted, Manbeast banished to work.

Next job.. washing ornaments and tables we picked up from OH's stepdads sister who passed away the day before mothers day. She was very old and things are a bit dusty! Beautiful, but dusty!!

Todays remaining jobs..
    Iceland order
    Tesco order

Pay swimming
    sort trofast in girls room to clear the radiator
    message electrician re 2 light fittings.
    Sort Twinkles birthday presents
    pay some holiday off
    empty detritus from bathroom
    send someone out for bread and milk and cheese.. pullups for smalls bedtime.
    collect prescription

I think that might fill the week rather than just the day! lol
    Last edited by pigpen; 18-04-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 £51894.38 (2.41% int.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,374Posts Today

4,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin