Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jjah
    • By Jjah 14th Apr 19, 5:50 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jjah
    Personal Care Assistant job and pension question
    • 14th Apr 19, 5:50 PM
    Personal Care Assistant job and pension question 14th Apr 19 at 5:50 PM
    Hi all,

I hope someone can help with advice.

My dilemma is that I wish to take on work in order to qualify for a mortgage.

I currently have Carers Allowance and am not allowed to earn more than 123 a week as this is the earning threshold.

I have an opportunity to be a personal assistant for 15 hours a week for someone that I know personally.

I have not yet asked what the weekly rate is but I already know it would be at least 15p too much for Carers Allowance eligibility

15 hours at the national minimum wage of 8.21 is 123.15.

If some of that was paid into a pension, it wouldn't affect the threshold.

I had heard of automatic enrolment duty so looked up whether I would qualify but as I am over 22 (by quite a bit!) and would earn less than 192 a week, the pensions website said that it was not a requirement for the person that I would care for to arrange.

Is there any way around it?

Thanks
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 14th Apr 19, 7:39 PM
    • 29,250 Posts
    • 17,765 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:39 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:39 PM
    Open a pension for yourself?

A stakeholder would suit a modest contribution.

https://www.cavendishonline.co.uk/stakeholder-pension

https://www.litrg.org.uk/latest-news/news/180205-any-questions-carers-allowance-%E2%80%93-can-making-pension-contributions-help-you
    • Dox
    • By Dox 14th Apr 19, 11:40 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    Dox
    • 14th Apr 19, 11:40 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 11:40 PM
    I currently have Carers Allowance and am not allowed to earn more than 123 a week as this is the earning threshold.
    15 hours at the national minimum wage of 8.21 is 123.15.

If some of that was paid into a pension, it wouldn't affect the threshold.
    Originally posted by Jjah
    If you mean that it wouldn't affect the threshold if the employer paid some of it into a pension, they can't do that without reducing your pay below national minimum wage.
    • By 80934 15th Apr 19, 9:46 AM
    • 545 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:46 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:46 AM
    Would it be possible to do the job but take on less hours to ensure you fall below the maximum earnings limit? If the person is known to you then perhaps you could suggest this?
    • Jjah
    • By Jjah 16th Apr 19, 10:05 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jjah
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:05 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:05 AM
    Thank you for the clarification. :-)
    • _CC_
    • By _CC_ 16th Apr 19, 10:40 AM
    • 350 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    _CC_
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:40 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:40 AM

Your eligibility

You must earn no more than 123 a week after tax and expenses. Expenses can include:
    • 50% of your pension contributions
    [...]

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

Is the 15 hours per week is funded by the local authority? If so, I'd imagine employer contributions are not going to happen if you don't qualify given it would have to come out of the LA fund. Personal contributions may be the way to go.

Out of interest, what mortgage are you looking to get with such a low level of income? I can't imagine you would be able to obtain much.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,211Posts Today

7,118Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin