Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sausage79
    • By Sausage79 14th Apr 19, 3:20 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sausage79
    Thinking of doing a DRO. HELP NEEDED!
    • 14th Apr 19, 3:20 PM
    Thinking of doing a DRO. HELP NEEDED! 14th Apr 19 at 3:20 PM
    So Iím thinking of doing a DRO (if Iím accepted) and needed help with a few things if anyone could answer Iíd really appreciate it.

My story - I have around 18000 worth of debt over 7 different loans and credit cards. This has been built up over a period of 11 years. From been a single parent, having hours reduced at work, a restructure which reduced pay, maternity leave, then hours reducing again on return. Currently have a partner of 5 years he doesnít know the extend of the debt as this was building before we got together. Really struggling to pay money back which is making the debt higher as having to use cards for essentials.

The questions I have are

Will partners earnings be counted as none of the debt is joint itís all mine?
    What do I need as proof payslips? Bank statements?
    Do I reduce the expenditures due to having a partner? Just include my share?

Any help would really be appreciated.
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Apr 19, 4:06 PM
    • 13,606 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 14th Apr 19, 4:06 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 4:06 PM

The questions I have are

Will partners earnings be counted as none of the debt is joint itís all mine?

Originally posted by Sausage79
    You should get yourself linked with an intermediary as soon as possible. You're getting towards the limit.

They will want to know your partner's earnings in order to allocate the expenses fairly. What proof needed depends on the intermediary - nothing is set in law.

You'll need to be banking somewhere not connected to your debts.

Do you meet the other criteria OK?
    • Sausage79
    • By Sausage79 14th Apr 19, 4:18 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sausage79
    • 14th Apr 19, 4:18 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 4:18 PM
    Thankyou for your reply.

I’m going to go to the citizens advice tomorrow and see if I qualify.

My partner transfers me money weekly as all bills come out of my account as I’m paid monthly and he’s paid weekly. We earn around the same and split everything 50/50 other than my debt payments which he doesn’t really know the extent of.
    • MusicMusic1968
    • By MusicMusic1968 14th Apr 19, 4:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MusicMusic1968
    • 14th Apr 19, 4:27 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 4:27 PM
    So I’m thinking of doing a DRO (if I’m accepted) and needed help with a few things if anyone could answer I’d really appreciate it.

My story - I have around 18000 worth of debt over 7 different loans and credit cards. This has been built up over a period of 11 years. From been a single parent, having hours reduced at work, a restructure which reduced pay, maternity leave, then hours reducing again on return. Currently have a partner of 5 years he doesn’t know the extend of the debt as this was building before we got together. Really struggling to pay money back which is making the debt higher as having to use cards for essentials.

The questions I have are

Will partners earnings be counted as none of the debt is joint it’s all mine?

My husband did a DRO and was accepted. He had to change banks and he paid £90 for the DRO, even if they dont accept you, you wont get the money back as far as I know. He had to show his earnings, and how much he paid out for things like rent council tax etc. and what he was left with, you have to be left with a small amount each week before they will accept you, I cant remember what the amount was. I think they may take into consideration your partners earnings as well, how much is coming into the home and how much is left. But the debt will clearly be with you if you had taken it out in your name only. Your credit file will be affected but I guess you know that. Once accepted you cant borrow or buy anything on instalments I think its for 3 years. But double check on everything as my husband did it over a year ago now,, so I cant quite remember all the details..
    Last edited by MusicMusic1968; 14-04-2019 at 4:42 PM.
    • Sausage79
    • By Sausage79 14th Apr 19, 4:50 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sausage79
    • 14th Apr 19, 4:50 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 4:50 PM
    Thankyou for your reply.

Itís my last option really. After rent, bills, 2 children, nursery fees, rise in living and barely any rise in wages.

Itís something I have been looking at for a while now but just needing to pluck up the courage to do something about it. Feel really embarrassed to be honest, itís not something I ever wanted to do.

I think I meet all the criteria.
    I donít have any assets
    Left with less than £50 per month after expenditures
    Under 20,000 of debt

Is there anything else you need to meet?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Apr 19, 4:51 PM
    • 13,606 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 14th Apr 19, 4:51 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 4:51 PM
    Thankyou for your reply.

Iím going to go to the citizens advice tomorrow and see if I qualify.

My partner transfers me money weekly as all bills come out of my account as Iím paid monthly and heís paid weekly. We earn around the same and split everything 50/50 other than my debt payments which he doesnít really know the extent of.
    That sounds good.

At some point you probably should say to him 'this is the problem and this is the solution'. After all, you will be on a public database (insolvency register).

To address some of the points musicmusic made - yes the fee is £90.

An application should never be rejected as your intermediary should not be putting it through if it is defective.

As long as you stay within the qualifying criteria, the debts are written off at the 12-month point and then the world's your oyster. It stays on your credit file for 6 years and so you'll need to work on repairing your credit file, and probably avoid getting into anything joint with your partner.

The savings criteria is 'less than £1000' for entry but if you come into a larger lump sum during the 12 months the rules are more flexible.

The surplus income rule is 'less than £50 per month' and that stays as the rule for the 12 months.

Likewise the car rule is 'worth less than £1000 on Parkers Guide'

As far as I'm aware nothing has changed recently. It's a successful scheme that has just had its 10th anniversary.
    • Sausage79
    • By Sausage79 14th Apr 19, 5:01 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sausage79
    • 14th Apr 19, 5:01 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 5:01 PM
    Thank you again you have been really helpful.

I know I really must speak to him, I will go get some advice first then deal with the matter least then I may have a solution.

The only savings I have is £200 in a credit union which I save up for summer camp for my son through the summer holidays whilst I work which has to be paid in cash.

I donít drive I rely on public transport. Buses, trains, taxis. Do these count as expenditure?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Apr 19, 6:56 PM
    • 13,606 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 14th Apr 19, 6:56 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 6:56 PM
    Thank
    I donít drive I rely on public transport. Buses, trains, taxis. Do these count as expenditure?
    Yes, whatever you spend on these things goes down as travel costs
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Apr 19, 11:28 AM
    • 16,975 Posts
    • 15,984 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:28 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:28 AM
    Just be aware that your budget at month end must show a deficipt of £50 or less, if its £51, it will be rejected, if its £49 it wont, just bear that in mind when working out your budget.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 15-04-2019 at 2:55 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    • Sausage79
    • By Sausage79 15th Apr 19, 2:45 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sausage79
    Thank you

I have just left citizens advice. Was given some paperwork to fill out and told I will get a call to arrange an appoint with a debt advisor.
    • Sausage79
    • By Sausage79 15th Apr 19, 5:01 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sausage79
    Anyone have any idea on the waiting times to see a debt advisor at the moment?
    • Sausage79
    • By Sausage79 15th Apr 19, 5:06 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sausage79
    They have given me a form to fill out to take with me for my appointment, there are somethings which are only paid for a few times a year. Do you work this out based over the year and divide it by 12?

Thank you
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 15th Apr 19, 5:07 PM
    • 13,606 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    fatbelly
    It will vary locally. We are being affected by all the forthcoming bank holidays and still haven't caught up after a significant increase in demand in January - we are out to about 6 weeks

Yes - to convert annual to monthly just divide by 12

to convert weekly to monthly multiply by 52 and divide by 12
    • Sausage79
    • By Sausage79 15th Apr 19, 7:52 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sausage79
    Thank you

Hoping itís not going to take too long till they contact me. It took enough for me to just walk into the building! I will complete the expenses forms tonight and see how I get on.
    • Sausage79
    • By Sausage79 17th Apr 19, 9:20 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sausage79
    Good morning.

Hope everyone is well.

So Ive nearly completed my expenditures form. Just wondering if driving lessons are included anywhere? I currently do one every other week. £25 per lesson. Also I use sports clubs after school instead of childcare as it’s cheaper. I pay £20 per week in sports clubs after school (at the school) as it’s cheaper than out of school club. Do I class this as hobbies or childcare?

Thank you
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 17th Apr 19, 1:06 PM
    • 13,606 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I think I'd struggle with the driving lessons mainly because there's the likelihood that they will not be needed through the next 12 months. How long before you take your test?

£20 per week to keep kids occupied - I'd probably put it under childcare but be prepared to explain if asked.

Are you struggling to get under the £50?

Can I ask how much you are putting for food and housekeeping and how many children you have?
    • Sausage79
    • By Sausage79 17th Apr 19, 2:09 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sausage79
    I’d say a few months off. I don’t really have the facility to have regular lessons so just every now and then.

I’d say I’m just under the £50 mark.

I have 2 children. 2 and 9.

Food and house keeping I have put 480 per month.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 17th Apr 19, 5:57 PM
    • 13,606 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Iíd say a few months off. I donít really have the facility to have regular lessons so just every now and then.

Iíd say Iím just under the £50 mark.

I have 2 children. 2 and 9.

Food and house keeping I have put 480 per month.
    You could increase that figure comfortably by £50.

The standard financial statement has guideline figures and you would still be within them.

You could maybe consider delaying your DRO until the driving lessons and test were finished but you need to keep one eye on yur debt total as 20k is the maximum.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

1,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin