Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Debtfreestudentnurse
    • By Debtfreestudentnurse 14th Apr 19, 9:48 AM
    • 44Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Debtfreestudentnurse
    Lowell - advice please
    • 14th Apr 19, 9:48 AM
    Lowell - advice please 14th Apr 19 at 9:48 AM
    Myself and my husband are in a DMP and have been for 4 years.

Lowell have control of two debts, one of mine, one of my husbands.

The DMP is paid on the same day each month, with payments then received by creditors 10 days later.

Lowell, every month since they bought both debts are recording Ďlate paymentí on each.

My husband disputed it via Noddle, and received a letter stating Lowell have not responded and the debt is temporarily hidden from credit files, but Lowell can add it back on at any time.

I spoke to Lowell directly regarding mine and was told it would be sent to the complaints department. That was three weeks ago, and no response so far.

How do I move forward and get these debts recorded properly if the creditor doesnít respond?
Page 1
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 14th Apr 19, 10:00 AM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:00 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:00 AM
    If Lowell keep marking your credit file(s) incorrectly, then you should make an official written complaint (via Royal Mail). Then if they either don't respond within eight weeks, or you find yourself at deadlock, then you can escalate to the ICO.

But to be honest is does not really matter as the debt is toxic on your credit files either way. Has the account been defaulted?
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 14-04-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Debtfreestudentnurse
    • By Debtfreestudentnurse 14th Apr 19, 10:12 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Debtfreestudentnurse
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:12 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:12 AM
    No the account hasn’t defaulted.

It doesn’t matter? It matters to me. I’m trying to clear my debts, they’re receiving payment on time but recording late.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Apr 19, 10:14 AM
    • 21,678 Posts
    • 23,572 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:14 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:14 AM
    Get them to default the account from the earliest date. Any subsequent marks will be irrelevant.
    • Debtfreestudentnurse
    • By Debtfreestudentnurse 14th Apr 19, 10:15 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Debtfreestudentnurse
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:15 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:15 AM
    Lowell have said they don’t default.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Apr 19, 10:17 AM
    • 21,678 Posts
    • 23,572 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:17 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:17 AM
    Then go to FOS.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Apr 19, 10:21 AM
    • 13,606 Posts
    • 10,691 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:21 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:21 AM
    The account must have been defaulted by the original lender in order for it to be sold to Lowell. Lowell are a debt buyer, not a debt collection agency.

Lowell are correct that they should not add a new default date. They should be recording the one given to them by the original lender.

If it's a mobile phone debt or something else not consumer credit act, then the contract termination date is used.
    • Debtfreestudentnurse
    • By Debtfreestudentnurse 14th Apr 19, 10:23 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Debtfreestudentnurse
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:23 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:23 AM
    Neither account has defaulted.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 14th Apr 19, 10:30 AM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:30 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 10:30 AM
    Hi Debtfreestudentnurse,

If your account is marked as an Arrangement to Pay (AP), then it will be marked on your credit file(s) for six years after you settle the debt.

If your account is defaulted, then it will be removed from your credit file(s) six years from the date of default.

As both an AP or default are equally as toxic as each other, then a default is preferable as it is removed from your credit file(s) so much earlier. You can still ask the original creditor to default you, backdated to when you were 3-6 months in arrears of the original agreement.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Debtfreestudentnurse
    • By Debtfreestudentnurse 14th Apr 19, 10:35 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Debtfreestudentnurse
    How do I go about requesting a default?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 14th Apr 19, 10:40 AM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    If the original creditor did not default you, then ask the original creditor to comply with the ICO guidance and default the account (backdated to when you were 3-6 months in arrears of the original agreement).

I love my job

• Debtfreestudentnurse
    • By Debtfreestudentnurse 14th Apr 19, 11:01 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Debtfreestudentnurse
    Thank you!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Apr 19, 11:53 AM
    • 16,975 Posts
    • 15,988 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi Debtfreestudentnurse,

You mis-understand the situation, this is from Lowells website :

who are lowell?

"As a market leader debt purchaser for over ten years, we’re renowned for our great customer experience that gets you exactly where you want to be. Many people struggle to pay a bill, your original debt may have been with another company, we have purchased your debt from them and now are the legal owners of the debt".

Lowell are a major player in the debt purchasing market, thats all they do, in order for your accounts to be sold to lowell, they must have been defaulted by the original creditor.

Lowell are not a debt collection agency, they are a debt purchasor, they work under the banners of "Lowell portfolio 1 ltd", "Lowell Solicitors Ltd" and "Fredrickson International Ltd".

Lowell will not default your accounts as they must already be defaulted, therefore they cannot default twice, you should make a SAR request to the original creditor which will show you the papertrail of events.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    • Debtfreestudentnurse
    • By Debtfreestudentnurse 14th Apr 19, 12:39 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Debtfreestudentnurse
    Thank you....how do I find out when the account defaulted? There is no mention of the account defaulting on any of the credit files :/
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Apr 19, 1:20 PM
    • 4,071 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Contact the original lender.

As already advised several times in this thread
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Apr 19, 1:28 PM
    • 16,975 Posts
    • 15,988 Thanks
    sourcrates
    you should make a SAR request to the original creditor which will show you the papertrail of events.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thank you....how do I find out when the account defaulted? There is no mention of the account defaulting on any of the credit files :/
    Originally posted by Debtfreestudentnurse

SAR- Subject Accress Request under the data protection act.

ICO website has a template letter you can use.

SAR`s are now free.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    • Debtfreestudentnurse
    • By Debtfreestudentnurse 14th Apr 19, 1:34 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Debtfreestudentnurse
    Any need for the attitude??

As Iíve previously said, the account isnít saying itís gone into default unlike my husbands Lowell account shows.

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/Raachel82/library/
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 14th Apr 19, 1:42 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Any need for the attitude??
    Originally posted by Debtfreestudentnurse
    Don't worry about Gary. If it's any consolation, he's apparently great at parties.

Back on topic, you submit the Subject Access Request (SAR) to the original lender. From the SAR you will get the data that the original lenders held on you, specifically when and if they defaulted you. If they never defaulted you, then you would need to request that they do so, backdated to when you were 3-6 months in arrears.

Out of interest, what type of account was it originally? A loan, credit card, or....???

I love my job

• Debtfreestudentnurse
    • By Debtfreestudentnurse 14th Apr 19, 1:44 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Debtfreestudentnurse
    One account was a credit card, the other was a Studio account (mail order).
    Thank you for the info. I’ve never challenged anything on my file so it’s a bit daunting.
    • Warwick65
    • By Warwick65 15th Apr 19, 6:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Warwick65
    Just as an aside, I think Lowell now have permissions so they can hold non defaulted debts. However, it would be much better to get the account defaulted then 6 years on it will vanish.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

1,089Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin